#41 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:16

Thanks for the clarification. The post referred to FOV as a result of 2.7x crop and the 0.71x reducer. Would there be a difference to apply the reducer first before applying the crop factor in computing for FOV?

#42 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:25

The only "crop factor" is that of the reducer, and it is 0.71X for each lens attached to it. Other "factors" are imaginary unless you attach a TC.
Bjørn

#43 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:31

I understand that in relation to computing for the focal length of the lens. My question however concerns FOV.

#44 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:41

Use the imager size, real focal length of lens, and elementary trigonometry (atan function). The equation is in any textbook on optics.

If aspect ratio is identical to another format, use FOV calculations from that scaled. Or look into the finder which always provides the correct answer.

These number games are not very entertaining and I wish they should go away.
Bjørn

#45 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:10

Or look into the finder which always provides the correct answer.

That was what I was trying to do. :D

But thanks nfoto.

#46 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 15:00

NEX will transition to FF in the next 12-18 months, meaning this expensive accessory will be relegated to the dustbin when it does. Also, given the fiasco of the Coastal Optics 60mm "hot spotting"... no chance I would trust any of the pre-production assesments for this particular piece of kit.

Use caution, unless you have an arsenal of Canon lenses, or are in love with your NEX-7.

#47 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 15 January 2013 - 15:04

There are, hopefully, other cameras besides the NEX series to benefit from this invention. I for one will buy it immediately when it becomes available for "F"/m43.
Bjørn

#48 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 15 January 2013 - 15:26

So now, I have little reason to resist the purchase of a Nex-6 or XE-1... Besides money...
I am sure this will make an upgrade to FF much less attractive for many.(...)

If that is truly the case then I expect Nikon and Canon to rumage through their patent warchests and litigate the speedbooster into the history books.
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#49 armando_m

armando_m

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 3,204 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara

Posted 15 January 2013 - 15:33

... following ...

I'm also interested in nikon m43 version

Regards,
Armando 

#50 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 15:34

If that is truly the case then I expect Nikon and Canon to rumage through their patent warchests and litigate the speedbooster into the history books.

Why would Canon and Nikon do that? This will increase sales of their lenses!

Just an idea. Can Nikon purposely designed full-frame lenses with built-in reducer for DX to achieve a one-stop advantage in speed and also provide "full-frame" FOV (uh-oh, here we go again!)? A 24-70mm f/2.8 with such a reducer would have the FOV of a 24-70mm f/2.0 on a DX body. Yummmmy! :D

Edited by Larry, 15 January 2013 - 15:39 .

#51 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 15:42

NEX will transition to FF in the next 12-18 months, meaning this expensive accessory will be relegated to the dustbin when it does. Also, given the fiasco of the Coastal Optics 60mm "hot spotting"... no chance I would trust any of the pre-production assesments for this particular piece of kit.

Use caution, unless you have an arsenal of Canon lenses, or are in love with your NEX-7.

Not a bad thing Taran. Metabones will make an adapter absent the reducer that would allow our Nikkor FF lenses to function fully with the expected NEX FF although autofocus will be slow.

Re the Speed Booster, this would benefit only the NEX APS-C but the market for this would still be very big. I suspect that many dSLR owners will now be persuaded to try out the mirrorless cameras goaded by among others that all their lenses can be made almost fully functional (though autofocus will be slow) and be one-stop faster. NEX bodies are inexpensive, have articulating screen, have an EVF for reviewing photos in bright daylight without need of a hood for the rear LCD, and have one of the best live view capabilities in the market.

Edited by Larry, 15 January 2013 - 16:08 .

#52 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 15:44

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/

now reporting Samsung FF mirrorless in March. If true, I feel this adapter is still born.

#53 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 15:47

Not a bad thing Taran. Metabones will make an adapter absent the reducer that would allow our Nikkor lenses to function fully with the NEX FF although autofocus will be slow.

Re the Speed Booster, this would benefit only the NEX APS-C but the market for this would still be very big. I suspect that many dSLR owners will now be persuaded to try out the mirrorless cameras goaded by among others that all their lenses can be made almost fully functional (though autofocus will be slow) and be one-stop faster. NEX bodies are inexpensive, articulating screen, and have one of the best live view capabilities not out-performed by any other camera I am using.

I don't know if NIkon will allow a AF version like Canon will (some kind of patent thing I recall). Nikon will sue metabones if they do, imho, because they apparently have technology they can litigate regarding F mount and AF-S.

Just my 2ç, the best you could hope for is a AI-s version.

#54 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 15:50

I don't know if NIkon will allow a AF version like Canon will (some kind of patent thing I recall). Nikon will sue metabones if they do, imho, because they apparently have technology they can litigate regarding F mount and AF-S.

Just my 2ç, the best you could hope for is a AI-s version.

How then can Tamron, Sigma and Tokina make and sell F-mount autofocusing lenses for use with Nikon cameras?

Does it not work to Nikon's interest to port its huge library of lenses to camera bodies made by other manufacturers? While this will directly help the camera manufacturer in terms of lenses available, it will likely also preclude the manufacturer from making its own lenses which will require a lot of time, money and likely a considerably reduced lens market since Nikkor lenses will already be in wide-use with its bodies. In the meantime, Nikon can continue making its own bodies and may even entice new users from those who bought the 3rd party mirrorless camera and bought Nikkor lenses. So Nikon and Nikkor lens owners can benefit from this setup. Whether Nikon's management is open to this idea is another matter however.

Edited by Larry, 15 January 2013 - 17:41 .

• yunfat likes this

#55 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 15:54

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/

now reporting Samsung FF mirrorless in March. If true, I feel this adapter is still born.

If Samsung merely wants to sells bodies and a few lenses, it would be to its interest to help companies such as Metabones interface their bodies with the various FF lenses already available in the market.

If Samsung wants to sells both FF bodies and lenses, it will likely not get any market traction unless it severely undercut the price of its products. Even then, it will be an uphill struggle for Samsung to find widespread market acceptance.

Edited by Larry, 15 January 2013 - 16:07 .

#56 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:04

Another question. Can Nikon design a new DX camera that has a built-in optical reducer between the sensor and the lens mount, such that it can use any full-frame lenses but will be one-stop faster? A fast focusing 24-70mm f/2.0 and 70-200mm f/2.0 VR on a DX body with a D800-type AF system and 24mp would be very nice! :devil: :D

Nikon could gain from this as well in terms of selling more high-value and higher-priced FX lenses for use on this DX body. In fact, FX lenses will become mandatory for this DX body with a reducer.

Just imagining the possibilities. :sungum:

Edited by Larry, 15 January 2013 - 17:40 .

#57 simsurace

simsurace

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 579 posts
  • LocationBern, Switzerland

Posted 15 January 2013 - 18:07

Just an idea. Can Nikon purposely designed full-frame lenses with built-in reducer for DX to achieve a one-stop advantage in speed and also provide "full-frame" FOV (uh-oh, here we go again!)? A 24-70mm f/2.8 with such a reducer would have the FOV of a 24-70mm f/2.0 on a DX body. Yummmmy! :D

It doesn't work because the lens would have to be closer to the sensor, which is impossible due to the mirrorbox. A lens which accomplishes what you want would need to be bigger than a 24-70/2.8, much bigger, I'd say.

#58 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 18:40

It doesn't work because the lens would have to be closer to the sensor, which is impossible due to the mirrorbox. A lens which accomplishes what you want would need to be bigger than a 24-70/2.8, much bigger, I'd say.

I am thinking "out of the box" here - a new camera design with a reducer inside the camera body instead of inside a lens. This would require one reducer per one body instead of one reducer per lens. Savings for us instead of more sales to Nikon. :)

What you said would be correct of current model Nikon dSLRs. What I have in mind is a completely new camera which could be a mirrorless DX camera with Nikon purposely modifying the design in such a way that the reducer would fit into the space of the erstwhile flange distance used for the mirror box. If a reducer can work for an NEX or a Fuji X-trans, no reason why it cannot work for a Nikon mirrorless DX camera.

Edited by Larry, 15 January 2013 - 18:46 .

#59 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 15 January 2013 - 18:58

From what I understand, what makes this possible is the shorter register distance of the mirrorless cameras.

Then again, Nikon could make a mirrorless D1000 and make this a unit you simply drop in place into the lens throat. Now there's an idea :)
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#60 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 19:05

Hi Bart,

I quickly realized that an optical reducer on the lens may not be a good idea. This is why I thought of having such a reducer in a new Nikon mirrorless DX body. By necessity, such a mirrorless DX body with reducer will require the use of FX lenses. Other mirrorless body without the reducer can use both DX and FX lenses.

A reducer that you can insert in a mirrorless body is also another way except that Nikon will likely not allow its users such a wide-latitude without paying Nikon a large premium. This is why I am thinking that if ever Nikon makes such a design, the reducer will likely be built-in so you would have to buy a whole camera unit rather than just an optical reducer. Good for Nikon ... so Nikon will likely design it this way. Just thinking aloud here.

Larry

Edited by Larry, 15 January 2013 - 19:06 .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.