The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Speed up your lens?

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#21 Jan Anne

Jan Anne

Noob

• Life Member
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:01

Interesting stuff, might give my little NEX a new life.

The current NEX lenses are rather lame and the 1.5 crop factor doesn't work well with the small F pancake lenses I have.

My two fifties would be interesting lenses with the adapter, one really really fast and the other really fast and compact:Posted Image

Only the mediocre are always at their best....

My Flickr

#22 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,959 posts
  • LocationFredrikstad, Norway

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:02

The image stabilizer in the Olympus m43 cameras works also with legacy lenses, so that's a definite plus.
Bjørn T

#23 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,162 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:06

So there's no autofocus retained on the original lens when using one of these gizmos? If they could achieve that then I would call this the "Hallelujah Converter"... ;)

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#24 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 14 January 2013 - 13:04

So there's no autofocus retained on the original lens when using one of these gizmos? If they could achieve that then I would call this the "Hallelujah Converter"... :wink:

I expect not on the first version I expect AF support on their 2nd version just like what happened with its Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Snart Adapter II.

We have a bit of wait though for the Nikon version. :umbrage:

Yet there is a lot of potential even if one is impatiently waiting for this. Here is the effect on the Sony NEX / Fuji X-Trans on FOV and light-gathering ability:

24mm f/1.4 = 24mm f/1.0
35mm f/1.4 = 35mm f/1.0
50mm f/1.4 = 50mm f/1.0
85mm f/1.4 = 85mm f/1.0

28mm f/1.8 = 28mm f/1.2
50mm f/1.8 = 50mm f/1.2
85mm f/1.8 = 85mm f/1.2

100mm f/2.0 = 100mm f/1.4
200mm f/2.0 = 200mm f/1.4

14-24mm f/2.8 = 14-24mm f/2.0
24- 70mm f/2.8 = 24- 70mm f/2.0
70-200mm f/2.8 = 70-200mm f/2.0

16- 35mm f/4.0 = 16- 35mm f/2.8
24-120mm f/4.0 = 24-120mm f/2.8

The DOF will be as per the original lens as appearing on the left side.

Edited by Larry, 14 January 2013 - 16:24 .

#25 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 13:09

Current Olympus models (OM-D or E-PL5) should be clear winners for stills. The in-body IS should work well with the image circle covering DX format (reduced from FX format).

I think GH2 is still very good as a video-still hybrid. I haven't found any informative reviews of GH3 in terms of the quality of still images.

E-M5 is an excellent choice as even old lenses will be 5-axis stabilized.

GH3 will be an excellent choice as well but will not have the 5-axis stabilizer. JPG is ok but not not as good as the E-M5 while RAW files are at the same caliber as the E-M5 RAW. GH3 however is much better for video, is more rugged, easier to hold for extended period due to its bigger size, and has very good wireless remote features. All these made me decide to get the GH3 in lieu of the E-M5 at a later time when the GH3 will be available at a lower price when packaged with the 12-35 f/2.8 and/or 35-100mm f/2.8.

Edited by Larry, 14 January 2013 - 15:19 .

#26 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 15:17

The more I think about this adapter, the less likely it is that I will be getting any new NEX or m4/3 lenses as I will likely have most of what I need with my existing Nikkor lenses. Only the smaller size/lighter weight advantage and the faster AF of the native E-mount or m4/3 mount will make getting a native-mount lens worthwhile.

Here is a link to a review of the product.

http://philipbloom.n...3/speedbooster/

Edited by Larry, 14 January 2013 - 17:32 .

#27 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 14 January 2013 - 19:29

Larry, thanks for the link. If the Olympus 14-35/2.0 and 35-100/2.0 incorporates focus reducer, as Barry Green notes, the most special and probably the most expensive glasses of these lenses are used for the reducer section. I wonder what type glasses are used in the Metabone Speed Booster.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#28 Erik Lund

Erik Lund

_

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 14 January 2013 - 19:52

Great new product Brian, Congratulations!

#29 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 19:55

I read of the same which made think that the price of the Metabones Speed Booster is reasonable given what one gains from using it.

I keep looking for a downside but even Thom Hogan is hard pressed to find a weakness. He posits that the MTF and light gain is telecentric so the improvement in corner acuity may be higher in the center than in the corners and some vignetting may occur. Here is a link to Thom's article:

http://www.sansmirro...ns-adapter.html

If the downside turned out to be real, these are slight nonetheless while the gains are substantial. It seems that this "too good to be true" scenario may just turn out true! :wink:

Let me try and summarize the approximate effects of using a Speed Booster (0.71x) applied to the normal 1.5x crop for DX and 2.0x crop for m4/3:

FX lens used with an NEX / X-Trans:

FOV = 1.0x (instead of the previous 1.5x)
Speed = Gain of +1-stop
DOF = +0.0 stop instead of the previous +1-stop

Example" 24-70mm f/2.8 on an NEX will be approx. 24-70mm f/2.0 in FOV and speed but will have a DOF of f/2.8

FX/DX lens used with an m4/3

FOV = 1.5x (instead of the previous 2.0x)
Speed = Gain of +1-stop
DOF = +1.0 stop more instead of the previous 2 stops

Example" 17-55mm f/2.8 on an m4/3 will be approx. 26-83mm f/2.0 in FOV and speed but will have a DOF of f/4.0
(instead of f/5.6). For my use, the bigger GH3 (near equivalent to the D7000) may not be a disadvantage if
the GH3 is used with a Nikkor 17-55mm and Metabones Speed Booster.

Edited by Larry, 15 January 2013 - 07:45 .

#30 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,965 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 14 January 2013 - 20:21

Someone is likely to become quite wealthy as a result of these very clever optical
solutions, rightly so.

Some of the photos in the white paper show some interesting new possibilities!

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

#31 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 20:23

I have been thinking of this too. Too bad no one is selling any stocks in this company! :)

Here is what I think a Nikon user who owns an NEX and m4/3 will be in the market for.

1. Smart Adapter Nikon F to NEX E (with EXIF, aperture VR and AF support)
2. Smart Adapter Nikon F to m4/3 (with EXIF, aperture VR and AF support)

3. Speed Booster Nikon F to NEX E (with EXIF, aperture VR and AF support)
4. Speed Booster Nikon F to m4/3 (with EXIF, aperture VR and AF support)

I believe that the mechanical aperture linkage of the F-mount is one reason why there is still no Nikon version. But given the difficulties and challenges that Metabones faced in designing its adapters, this should not be an insurmountable problem.

Edited by Larry, 14 January 2013 - 20:29 .

#32 Bjørn J

Bjørn J

Happy user of Nikon photographic tools

• Life Member
  • 729 posts
  • LocationNorth Norway

Posted 14 January 2013 - 20:42

This sounds like a similar optical construction Nikon used in the E2 and E3, the Nikon Reduction Optical System. The construction is also known as a telecompressor, used on telescopes.
Interesting little device, maybe I should start looking around for a mirrorless...

Bjørn J

#33 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 14 January 2013 - 20:49

Oh Nikon, you missed this opportunity. Imagine if you made a speed booster for your CX system...
Machina fotografica necesse est

#34 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 20:56

Sten ... I am now cleaning my V1 and the FT-1 + 35mm f/1.8 and I would not mind spending for such a reducer if the the 35mm f/1.8 can become a 67mm f/1.2 in FOV and speed. :good: I am testing the V1 for video and a fast lens coupled with its deeper than usual DOF is giving me options I did not have wiith my GH2 and NEX.

#35 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 14 January 2013 - 21:54

No, you misunderstand. This is a focal reducer, so you can only get a *shorter* focal length. In order to get a longer lens you must add a traditional TC, and that'll cost you 1 or more stops.
Bjørn

#36 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 15 January 2013 - 00:47

By the way, the "White Paper" says that the Speed Booster can work with tilt-shift lens. Does it mean that the optical axes of the main lens and the focus reducer don't need to be aligned? Also, will the shortest focus distance be shortened when one uses a PK ring between the lens and the Speed Booster?

#37 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 15 January 2013 - 00:57

My understanding is answers to both are yes.
Bjørn

#38 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:42

Thanks, Bjørn, for sharing your opinion.

#39 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:54

No, you misunderstand. This is a focal reducer, so you can only get a *shorter* focal length. In order to get a longer lens you must add a traditional TC, and that'll cost you 1 or more stops.

I meant that if the 0.71x can be applied to a 2.7x crop of a V1, then the net effective crop that is to be applied to a 35mm f/1.8 on a V1 will now just be 1.917x roughly yielding an FOV of 67mm but lens speed would now be f1.2 from the previous f/1.8. Such a product however does not exist but I find it interesting nonetheless to posit the possibilities.

Edited by Larry, 15 January 2013 - 07:12 .

#40 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:44

Oh the number play. Still, not for real. A 100 mm f/2 lens does N_O_T "become " 270 mm f/2 by mounting it on a V1. That would the very least presume a lens capable of thinking for itself and its position in life.

On the other hand, putting the focal reducer on the same 100 mm lens W_I_L_L make it into a true 71 mm f/1.4 lens.
Bjørn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.