The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Speed up your lens?

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#1 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:47

http://www.metabones.com/
  • Jan Anne likes this
Machina fotografica necesse est

#2 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:06

Interesting stuff if quality is up to the challenge. Knowing that Brian Caldwell is the brain behind helps one believe this 'negative' TC will be more than just another gadget.

Of course, great news for the NEX crowd as well.
Bjørn

#3 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,964 posts
  • LocationFredrikstad, Norway

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:55

These adapters are able to transmit EXIF data, so an adapter without glass would be useful for chipped F-mount lenses for UV and IR on modified NEX or m43 cameras. Though the Speedbooster will also be interesting if it works.
Bjørn T

#4 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:09

At approx. $600 using these adapters just to get EXIF data is a bit heavy even for me :) One might also wonder what they do with the EXIF specification limit of f/1 when the lens+TC opens to f/0.9?

Besides, I hope they arrive for m4/3 as well not just the NEX series as I have no intention of going into Sony. The ergonomics of those cameras is appalling.
Bjørn

#5 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:12

NEX user here but am uncertain how well the "Speed Booster" will work to yield an extra stop and to provide better MTF while having a 0.71x wider factor.

What I am looking forward to a Nikon version of the electronic adapter that will support full operation using Nikkor AF-S lenses even if AF will be slow. VR functioning with the adapter will be a plus.

Edited by Larry, 14 January 2013 - 09:34 .

#6 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,964 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:13

They said m43 will follow. USD 600 is the speedbooster version, so let's hope ther will also be a (cheaper) glass-less version, since that's what's needed for UV/IR.
Bjørn T

#7 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,278 posts
  • LocationTokyo
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:24

As expected, they are recent efforts of Brian (brianc1959 here)! The idea should come from the astronomical telescope (they call such an accessory "reducer").

600 USD is the price for the Canon EF version with the data transmission and AF/aperture drive function. Other ones are cheaper (449 USD for Sony Alpha and 399 USD for Leica R).

I wonder if some guy at Metabones have been lurking around this website to find some lens designer? :wink:

CORRECTION:
The adapter for Sony Alpha was actually ALPA. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by Akira, 14 January 2013 - 11:08 .

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#8 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:29

Just quickly read the Whitepaper for hte "Speed Booster" and boy that is good stuff. Now I eagerly await m4/3 versions of this accessory.
Bjørn

#9 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:35

nfoto, can you provide a link to the whitepaper you mentioned?

Edit: more info here: http://www.43rumors....er-and-sharper/

So the improvement in resolution, CA and even light gathering and wider-focal length comes from everything being compressed as it is being reduced ... similar perhaps to a 24mp or 36mp file reduced to 12mp?

Edit: Reading the witepaper linked by nfoto, it would seem that the Speed Booster is the opposite of the teleconverter or "TC". While the TC extends the effective focal length, the Speed Booster reduces this. While the TC slows down the speed of the lens, the Speed Booster adds to this. While the TC also magnifies the lens' imperfection, the Speed Booster reduces these.

Edited by Larry, 14 January 2013 - 20:15 .

#10 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:44

Try http://www.metabones...White Paper.pdf
Bjørn

#11 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:47

This is very exciting if this works out. So my FX Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 will be a near 14-24mm in 35mm equivalent on my NEX and have an aperture of f/2.0 while my DX Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 will be a near 16-24mm f/2.0 in 35mm equivalent on an m4/3 GH2? Crazily good! :D

Edited by Larry, 14 January 2013 - 20:14 .

#12 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,278 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:16

That's really too good to be true, and that sounds very positively this time! :D

Thanks, Sten for the heads-up and Bjørn for the "push"!

Edited by Akira, 14 January 2013 - 11:01 .

#13 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:20

Thank you nfoto for the link. It is much clearer now what this Speed Booster does.

Hooaaah ... this development makes my NEXs and GH2 even more attractive than these already are. Now if only Metabones will come out with an F-mount to NEX and m4/3 version soon. Incredible news this one and I can't wait till Metabones make an F-mount version! :D :D :sungum:

Edited by Larry, 14 January 2013 - 15:14 .

#14 olivier

olivier

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 3,044 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:42

So now, I have little reason to resist the purchase of a Nex-6 or XE-1... Besides money...
I am sure this will make an upgrade to FF much less attractive for many. But we still have to see how AF speed is affected.
Greetings from France
my blog

#15 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:11

Looks like the speed of my mindgame of entering the m43 world is boosted now.

#16 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,278 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:13

Even the old AF Nikkor 18-35/3.5-4.5 becomes equivalent of 19-37/2.5-3.2 on NEX which is very attractive even on paper...

Edited by Akira, 14 January 2013 - 11:14 .

#17 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:24

That's settled then...I'm looking for a good m43 camera now!
Let's get the candidates listed...

#18 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,964 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:31

The 70-200/2.8 becomes 50-140/2.0. Only Olympus has ever made lenses with such specifications before for the 4/3 system; 12-35/2.0 and 35-100/2.0. These are lenses even Lloyd Chambers like.
Bjørn T

#19 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,278 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:37

That's settled then...I'm looking for a good m43 camera now!
Let's get the candidates listed...

Current Olympus models (OM-D or E-PL5) should be clear winners for stills. The in-body IS should work well with the image circle covering DX format (reduced from FX format).

I think GH2 is still very good as a video-still hybrid. I haven't found any informative reviews of GH3 in terms of the quality of still images.

#20 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:40

Thanks Akira. I've been gawking at the OM-D and like its retro style. Bloody unfortunate that my main dealer here in Stavanger does not carry the m43 line of Oly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.