#1 Fons Baerken

Fons Baerken

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 8,939 posts
  • LocationNederland
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:00

Anyone using open source software for developing and editing raw files and on what platform or os?
What are your experiences?

#2 afx

afx

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,424 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:24

Been testing most of them every now and then (on Linux, rarely on Windows)...
(as an Ex-SuSE employee, I do have quite a bit of involvement with the Open Source world)

Gimp: Still not 16bit clean... A UI that only its mother could love
Darktable: An UI designers wet dream, but too stupid for sensible color management or any reasonable form of workflow.
Photivo: Not really conductive for an efficient workflow, basically everything thrown together.
RawTherapee: Slow as molasses and not really conductive for efficient handling of a large group of images but a reasonable feature set and good image quality.
LightZone: (based on the code that was commercial until the end of last year): Slow but decent image quality. Not usable for large amounts of images.

DigiKam: An interesting DAM, the most powerfull of the free ones, but I never really got the hang of it. I think it still has no scripting support ;-(

The problem of all those tools is, they are written to fit a few peoples needs and according to the whims of the programmers but not to produce an efficient solution for photographers with a wider appeal.
So if you have a mindset and use case close enough to that of the developers, they can be quite useful. But if not, they are a PITA.
I guess none of those guys ever shot a wedding or any other even with a non trivial amount of images, otherwise the workflow part would have gotten more attention. But if you like to fiddle with different demosaicing algorithms, then you are at the right place.

What is very useful to have in the toolbox is ImageMagick for command line batch processing. Anything that needs batch automation can be implemented easily with this toolkit.

cheers
afx
  • jramskov and Humboldt like this
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
My latest book: The AfterShot Survival Guide  
sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad  Still no clue how to take decent pictures though, see afximages.com ;-(

#3 Fons Baerken

Fons Baerken

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 8,939 posts
  • LocationNederland
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 09 January 2013 - 13:45

and there is Gimp also..

#4 Jyda

Jyda

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,256 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 09 January 2013 - 14:16

Gimp seems to finally get 16 bit processing. It's currently in the "unstable" version.
/Johnny

Google+

I care about picture quality, not pixel quality. - Jay Maisel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.