#1 rbsandor

rbsandor

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 1,158 posts
  • LocationDenver CO
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:25

Who knew that Parisians were big ice skaters? But they are. While in Paris this past December, there were ice rinks set up near the Eiffel Tower as well as in front of City Hall. Parisians flocked to them.
At the urging of Dallas, I bought an EM-5 (at least that was the excuse I gave my wife). I used it in Brasserie Bofinger, a beautiful example of the Belle Epoque style of interior decor. On occasion, I would use the touch screen of the EM-5 to focus and shoot. I did so using a slow shutter speed in some cases to highlight the fast pace of the waiters. The touch screen also allows different perspectives. Very little to no PP done on these. Richard

RSandor_2012_12_23_0027.JPG

RSandor_2012_12_23_0055.JPG

RSandor_2012_12_23_0046_1.JPG

RSandor_2012_12_29_0271.JPG

RSandor_2012_12_29_0292.JPG

RSandor_2012_12_24_0102.JPG

RSandor_2012_12_29_0100.JPG

RSandor_2012_12_29_0134.JPG

RSandor_2012_12_29_0145.JPG

RSandor_2012_12_29_0141.JPG

#2 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,757 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:22

Well, I'm happy to have been of service, Richard! :D

These are great, btw. I tried taking some shots at our local ice rink recently and I failed dismally. I truly need to make a better effort to learn this camera and set it up in a way that will work better for me.

Win a thinkTank Retrospective 30 camera bag just by making a post to Fotozones this week! 

Please support Fotozones by purchasing your gear from our website advertisers wherever possible. 

#3 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

The humble little lady from Cape Town

• Moderators
  • 7,722 posts
  • LocationCape Town
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 09 January 2013 - 16:22

i really like the ice skating images

how do they "set up" ice rinks? we only have indoor ones here so its unfamiliar to me
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#4 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 16:29

i really like the ice skating images

how do they "set up" ice rinks? we only have indoor ones here so its unfamiliar to me

I'm guessing it's so freaking cold that they simply put water into big Tupperware containers and wait for nature to do its thing. :)

Win a thinkTank Retrospective 30 camera bag just by making a post to Fotozones this week! 

Please support Fotozones by purchasing your gear from our website advertisers wherever possible. 

#5 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 16:33

Actually, I have a question for those who skate: is there some kind of universal ice rink law that dictates the skaters must go around in an anti-clockwise direction? It's always been the case at our little rink here since I was a lot younger than 45, so just curious to hear if its the same everywhere.

#6 olivier

olivier

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 3,008 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 09 January 2013 - 16:35

Unfortunately it has not been cold in Paris for weeks (around 10°C)... There is a cooling circuit below the ice.
Greetings from France
my blog

#7 jag

jag

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 77 posts
  • LocationHamar, Norway

Posted 09 January 2013 - 17:44

Actually, I have a question for those who skate: is there some kind of universal ice rink law that dictates the skaters must go around in an anti-clockwise direction? It's always been the case at our little rink here since I was a lot younger than 45, so just curious to hear if its the same everywhere.

When speedskating, all go counter clockwise.
On those smaller rinks, I guess you could go in any direction, but it makes sense to go in the same direction as the crowd...
(Why not be the first to enter, and start skating clockwise, just to see what happens? :devil: )
/Jan
/Jan

#8 armando_m

armando_m

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara

Posted 09 January 2013 - 18:06

Glad to see the street shots of Paris, you survived to share the photos :)

Regards,
Armando 

#9 rbsandor

rbsandor

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 1,158 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 09 January 2013 - 18:25

Hi Folks: thanks to all for looking and commenting. Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic