Photo
- - - - -

Want Photoshop CS2 for free? here we go.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Tersn

Tersn

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 09 January 2013 - 00:04

The validation doesn't pay attention to your personal data, for all Adobe cares you could present yourself as Donald Duck. But the serial number has to be correct. I copied the download page so I could lift serial numbers from a file later.

I've now installed CS2 on a number of boxes, physical and virtual ones, and there is no problem on any of these despite a wide range of Windows versions. Just remember to set up for no automatic checking of updates (since there won't be any) otherwise CS2 will silently do a "call home" operation every time the programs starts. If you forgot, just block CS in your firewall and you are good to go.

I might have made a misprint in the serial number the first time (it is late).

tersn
(Terje)

On flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tsnd09/

#42 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,313 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 09 January 2013 - 00:14

If your work is intensive with image manipulation, Photoshop CS2 may well prove inadequate, but if it's just a bit of cloning, healing and colour manipulation that is your lot, CS2 will suffice. As has been noted, CS2 is 32-bit, so RAM access is restricted, and CS2 Bridge will not open raw files of any recent cameras.

Adobe completely stuffed up the printing module in Photoshop CS3, and it took until CS6 to get things fully working properly again, but CS2 had a very reliable and simple printing interface and engine so if all the above is all that applies to you as far as image use goes, then it will be quite OK for use. If Adobe ever offer the same deal on CS3, however,avoid the Photoshop version like the plague.

Only InDesign and Audition interest me - I stopped using those programs as my limited need for it made upgrading not worthwhile for me - I have installed (but not yet used) an Open Source ID equivalent (Scribus 1.4.1) and Audition's equivalent (Audacity) so that might be sufficient, but I was used to InDesign and have many files saved that won't open in anything else, same with Audition. Downloading thoose now.

Thanks Elsa for the heads up.

Mac users tend to take the compatibility of their machines as being indicative of a universal situation. They forget that most of the desktop computing world still runs on Windows (and increasingly Linux), with compatibility and variety always having been a Windows strength, and Linux its free or sensibly cheap software. Mac has always, and still is, hampered by the lack of variety and compatibility of software, with "use Windows emulation" being a solution often proffered on forums, but with the irony of this apparently being completely missed through those rainbow-coloured Mac glasses. Pointing out that Windows machines do not have a "Mac OS emulator" facility available because there is no need for one is also a waste of time when shown to wearers of those glasses.

I wish I had just a small portion of Steve Jobs' charisma, I'd be a billionaire now. The dedication he fostered from his converts is indeed fascinating for someone now immune to have witnessed from the sidelines. As noted previously, I managed to extract myself from the cult in 1999. Recently I succumbed to a brief revisit and bought a "refurbished", but "current" iPod from the Apple shop. It turned out to be a previous model, with the current inbuilt camera's position simply indicated by a strip of black adhesive tape, and the absence of which was something that the advertisement completely failed to mention. If I was still in the cult I'd be excusing this at every opportunity, but next audio device I buy will be from Samsung or similar, at least I'll get what I ordered. Time had dulled the insidious nature of cult membership, I guess.

#43 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 09 January 2013 - 00:54

Mac users tend to take the compatibility of their machines as being indicative of a universal situation. They forget that most of the desktop computing world still runs on Windows (and increasingly Linux), with compatibility and variety always having been a Windows strength, and Linux its free or sensibly cheap software. Mac has always, and still is, hampered by the lack of variety and compatibility of software, with "use Windows emulation" being a solution often proffered on forums, but with the irony of this apparently being completely missed through those rainbow-coloured Mac glasses. Pointing out that Windows machines do not have a "Mac OS emulator" facility available because there is no need for one is also a waste of time when shown to wearers of those glasses.

Don't be a hater Fred. Remember, on the Mac "it just works," it's the PC where things break! :P
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#44 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:02

If your work is intensive with image manipulation, Photoshop CS2 may well prove inadequate, but if it's just a bit of cloning, healing and colour manipulation that is your lot, CS2 will suffice. As has been noted, CS2 is 32-bit, so RAM access is restricted, and CS2 Bridge will not open raw files of any recent cameras.

Aside from the inability to open raw files, did we really change so much since 2005 that CS2 is now inadequate? Granted, the MDF interface in CS4 was a quantum leap forwards, but what did graphic professionals back in 2005 use? Imagemagick? Or edit the binary jpeg files directly in edlin? I don't think CS2 is particularly bad. It's just that CS6 is so much better. But I wouldn't call CS2 inadequate so quickly.
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#45 dslater

dslater

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 330 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 January 2013 - 16:22

I haven't used CS2, but I used to use CS3. I've now upgraded to CS6, and for me the biggest improvement is in selection. Selection in CS6 is so much easier than CS3, it's worth the upgrade cost.

As for RAW files, you can always use some other software to convert the to TIFF for editing in CS2.

If people are interested, I'd be happy to build and post David Coffin's latest dcraw for 32 & 64 bit ms-windows. IF there's enough interest, I could even build for linux. Sorry MAC users - I don't have a MAC to build with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users