Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

Photo
- - - - -

Want Photoshop CS2 for free? here we go.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,380 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:15

?

Adobe allows you to download a copy of CS2 or a suite of other software, and kindly provides the required serial numbers as well. The program installs normally and accept their serial number. Afterwards runs like a charm.

Except for a heavily overloaded server that requires some patience to get access to, I fail the see a problem.
Bjørn

#22 Petteram

Petteram

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,784 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:03

Just downloaded it myself. Its still a very usefull software....and now I can give it to my amateur friends:-)

Petter

#23 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,034 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:07

Does it work with ACR 7.x?
Machina fotografica necesse est

#24 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,380 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:12

No way. In Adobe's world, you need a new version of Photoshop/ACR every 18th month, or when you purchase a new DSLR model.

Can't imagine why people believe such nonsense but obviously the idea is widespread.
Bjørn

#25 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,731 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:19

?

Adobe allows you to download a copy of CS2 or a suite of other software, and kindly provides the required serial numbers as well. The program installs normally and accept their serial number. Afterwards runs like a charm.

Except for a heavily overloaded server that requires some patience to get access to, I fail the see a problem.

That's not the official line I'm reading about this now. Apparently the download was only for people who had valid licenses to the software.

#26 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,380 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:22

Whatever Adobe *now* claims, the assertion is not true. The software and license serial are there for the taking, on Adobe's own server. You need an Adobe User Account but registration is free. The software installs without any previous installation. I've tried so should know.
Bjørn

#27 keithc

keithc
  • Life Member
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSouth East Herts UK

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:25

Good morning all, I'm with Bjorn on this. Just downloaded software but not installed yet. Will try it out tonight.

#28 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,731 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:31

Whatever Adobe *now* claims, the assertion is not true. The software and license serial are there for the taking, on Adobe's own server. You need an Adobe User Account but registration is free. The software installs without any previous installation. I've tried so should know.

Hmmm, you're quite right. I wonder if I might ever have a need for Illustrator?

Nah!

:)

#29 Dave Rosser

Dave Rosser

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 664 posts
  • LocationThornbury, near Bristol

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:35

Just went to Adobe site and downloaded CS2 - no problems. The serial number is given next to the links.

#30 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:01

Evil marketing ploy?
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#31 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,380 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:07

"Evil" as in giving you Photoshop CS2 v. 9.0 whilst the latest was 9.0.2?

Fortunately, you can just patch the .exe later to get the most recent version. I did.
  • Bart Willems likes this
Bjørn

#32 Dave Rosser

Dave Rosser

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 664 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:56

No way. In Adobe's world, you need a new version of Photoshop/ACR every 18th month, or when you purchase a new DSLR model.

Can't imagine why people believe such nonsense but obviously the idea is widespread.

However I just installed the "free" CS2 and checked photoshop worked OK on my Windows 8 machine. Then I fired up Lightroom 4.3 opened a RAW file selected edit in and, as though by magic, with no action on my part, there was Photoshop CS2 in the list of applications. :sungum: Clicked on this and a TIFF version of my RAW file opened in Photoshop.

Edited by Dave Rosser, 08 January 2013 - 12:57 .

#33 Dave Rosser

Dave Rosser

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 664 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 13:04

I believe that CS2 is no longer part of the Upgrade path so you would be loading something which has now reached "end of life" status and which will run on very few of the computers which are now in use. Also, there have been huge improvements to both speed and functionality in the intervening years.

Why would anyone want to waste their time with CS2 when they can rent the current version for so little?

It runs very happily on a high spec, new last June, Windows 8 64bit machine so I suspect it will run on nearly all non mac computers now in use. Of course free is cheaper (a lot cheaper :good: ) than renting current version.

#34 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

The humble little lady from Cape Town

• Moderators
  • 7,715 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 08 January 2013 - 13:06

i have students - school kids - who simply can not afford to buy/rent photoshop. For them its ideal.
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#35 armando_m

armando_m

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara

Posted 08 January 2013 - 15:21

Downloaded it last night ...

until now I had managed to stay away from PS, I had used GIMP whenever I felt doing stuff with layers

Regards,
Armando 

#36 Fanie

Fanie

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 19:52

I have used CS2 for the last 5 years or so, not interested in paying for the upgrades if NX can process my RAW files. Much better than Elements for the amateur photographer, so good on them for making it available.
Enjoy Global Warming while you can, the next Ice Age is on its way........

#37 Tersn

Tersn

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,038 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 08 January 2013 - 23:19

?

The serial number was not accepted when I tried it (with my name).

tersn
(Terje)

On flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tsnd09/

#38 Tersn

Tersn

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,038 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 08 January 2013 - 23:28

I tried once more with my username (at Adobe) and it worked.

tersn
(Terje)

On flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tsnd09/

#39 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,380 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 08 January 2013 - 23:42

The validation doesn't pay attention to your personal data, for all Adobe cares you could present yourself as Donald Duck. But the serial number has to be correct. I copied the download page so I could lift serial numbers from a file later.

I've now installed CS2 on a number of boxes, physical and virtual ones, and there is no problem on any of these despite a wide range of Windows versions. Just remember to set up for no automatic checking of updates (since there won't be any) otherwise CS2 will silently do a "call home" operation every time the programs starts. If you forgot, just block CS in your firewall and you are good to go.
Bjørn

#40 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 08 January 2013 - 23:58

otherwise CS2 will silently do a "call home" operation every time the programs starts. If you forgot, just block CS in your firewall and you are good to go.

wasn't the whole reason the downloads where there that adobe shut down the activation servers? So when CS2 phones home nobody answers?
  • Elsa Hoffmann likes this
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users