Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

Photo
- - - - -

Want Photoshop CS2 for free? here we go.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

The humble little lady from Cape Town

• Moderators
  • 7,720 posts
  • LocationCape Town
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 07 January 2013 - 16:20

Here is something I did not see coming. (and had to very that it was not April's 1st for a second). Adobe has just release their entire Creative Suit for free download......

read more

http://www.diyphotog...be-cs2-for-free
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#2 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,737 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 07 January 2013 - 16:33

"Site area temporarily unavailable"

Wouldn't surprise me if this is some kind of perverse DDOS attack on Adobe's servers. Why would anyone want to download CS2 for free?

#3 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

• Moderators
  • 7,720 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 07 January 2013 - 16:39

Link works for me - just checked it.

It doesnt matter why - there are people who will find this useful.
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#4 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,737 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 16:42

When you click on the link to Adobe in the article you quoted it goes to a page that cannot currently be served.

#5 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

• Moderators
  • 7,720 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 07 January 2013 - 16:52

oops
perhaps an overload?

#6 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,385 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 07 January 2013 - 16:54

There is nothing wrong with CS2 if it serves your needs.
Bjørn

#7 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,737 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 17:04

Will it still run on today's computers? Probably not on an Intel Mac.

#8 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 07 January 2013 - 17:10

it will definitely run on the majority of 'today's computers' - but not well on a Mac. if I recall it runs under emulation.

should be fine on windows, but of course it's 32-bit.
http://photo.sfmthd.org/ [under construction]

#9 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,737 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 17:18

I doubt that this will run on Mountain Lion since they removed support for the Rosetta emulation with that release. I might be wrong, but seem to recall reading that somewhere.

#10 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 07 January 2013 - 18:13

"Site area temporarily unavailable"

Wouldn't surprise me if this is some kind of perverse DDOS attack on Adobe's servers. Why would anyone want to download CS2 for free?

Well, you've given the reason yourself. I know enough people who'd love to have it.

It begs the question, is it for real. I mean, the page is (let's just say I have one gigabyte less space on my harddrive right now), but is this really an Adobe offer? I've heard stories that the page in question was meant for developers who needed a CS suite for testing. And I haven't seen anybody come up with an official announcement from Adobe; and the article I saw had Gizmodo as source. Well, Gizmodo, talk about hard hitting journalism... :rolleyes: Their source was a tweet from "some dude" so for now I doubt that this was very legit.

Edited by Bart Willems, 07 January 2013 - 18:13 .

Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#11 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

• Moderators
  • 7,720 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 07 January 2013 - 18:21

The site is indeed Adobe - the page however aint operational. No doubt something will surface in a day or 3.

#12 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

• Moderators
  • 7,720 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 07 January 2013 - 18:26

btw google Free CS2 from Adobe and there are a number of links - and some say the site is up and down due to (probably) traffic

#13 dslater

dslater

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 330 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 January 2013 - 20:00

Hmm - so this post has me thinking. My guess is this is some kind of baiting marketing ploy. i.e. you download Photoshop CS2 and after discovering it is good software, but CS6 is so much easier to use, you decide to upgrade and purchase CS6.
That line of though got me wondering what market is Adobe actually going after here? That is, how big a percentage of Photoshop sales are to photographers vs. other professions like Graphic Design? When you consider the amount of functionality in Photoshop that photographers don't really use, I have to think that we're a very small part of the market. Anyone here have any insight or numbers on this?

#14 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 07 January 2013 - 20:11

Hmm - so this post has me thinking. My guess is this is some kind of baiting marketing ploy. i.e. you download Photoshop CS2 and after discovering it is good software, but CS6 is so much easier to use, you decide to upgrade and purchase CS6.
That line of though got me wondering what market is Adobe actually going after here? That is, how big a percentage of Photoshop sales are to photographers vs. other professions like Graphic Design? When you consider the amount of functionality in Photoshop that photographers don't really use, I have to think that we're a very small part of the market. Anyone here have any insight or numbers on this?

true "photographers" make up a very small part of the market. our firm, for example, has several hundred full cs licenses and not a single 'photographer' in our employ. you'd find the same at marketing, graphic design, advertising, pr, product design, etc etc firms.

the use of photographs, of course, is common to all these fields. but photographers proper make up a small market.

Edited by schwett, 07 January 2013 - 20:12 .

http://photo.sfmthd.org/ [under construction]

#15 dslater

dslater

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 330 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 January 2013 - 20:51

That is what I suspected.

#16 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 07 January 2013 - 21:28

That would suggest Adobe wants to go after large sales volumes, but their pricing model suggests otherwise.

Microsoft used that model and it worked pretty good for them. Upgrades for Office were ridiculously cheap and all you needed was a piece of paper that you scribbled "WP 4.2" on with a sharpie in order to qualify. I wish Adobe would adopt such an approach.
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#17 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 07 January 2013 - 21:50

I believe that CS2 is no longer part of the Upgrade path so you would be loading something which has now reached "end of life" status and which will run on very few of the computers which are now in use. Also, there have been huge improvements to both speed and functionality in the intervening years.

Why would anyone want to waste their time with CS2 when they can rent the current version for so little?

#18 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,385 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 07 January 2013 - 21:58

Sometimes people act according to their own ways of thinking. I for one won't mind CS2. It would suit me perfect. Doesn't matter if there is a newer program available when an existing version covers your requirements. Besides, CS2 runs perfectly on a modern machine. I've tested it under virtually every Windows version of this century (meaning Win 2000, XP, 2003 Server, Vista, 2008 Server, 7, 8; 32- and 64-bit version of the OS where applicable).

So the answer to your question is that the question is wrong: "waste of time" is not an universal truth.
Bjørn

#19 afx

afx

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,317 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:58

What a SNAFU....
http://forums.adobe....4974662#4974662

cheers
afx
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
My latest book: The AfterShot Survival Guide  
sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad  Still no clue how to take decent pictures though, see afximages.com ;-(

#20 Fons Baerken

Fons Baerken

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 8,509 posts
  • LocationNederland

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:34

adobe giving cs2 for free? not quite!

http://photographyli...free#more-42755

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users