The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Fuji X100S

x100s

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 06 January 2013 - 13:13

http://www.fujifilm....jifilm-x100s-1/

Higher-resolution 16.3mp X-Trans sensor with no AA-filter
Improved image processor
Faster AF (phase-detect sensor built-in with the sensor)
Improved hybrid viewfinder
New split-screen function for manual focusing
New peaking function
1080p video (60fps supported)

These new features likely indicate some the improvements one can expect from the successors to the X-Pro1 and the X-E1.

My wish list is for Fuji to introduce an articulating screen and full RAW support from Adobe.

Edited by Larry, 06 January 2013 - 13:25 .

#2 Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 649 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 06 January 2013 - 13:45

Interesting - thanks for sharing.

- Faster AF (phase-detect sensor built-in with the sensor)
My understanding is that contrast detection seems to be a more reliable, yet slower, AF vs phase detection. For my kind of shooting reliability is more important than speed.

These would be very nice in an updated X-Pro1/X-E1:
- New split-screen function for manual focusing
- New peaking function

And as you say - an articulating screen.

#3 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 14:24

Interesting - thanks for sharing.

- Faster AF (phase-detect sensor built-in with the sensor)
My understanding is that contrast detection seems to be a more reliable, yet slower, AF vs phase detection. For my kind of shooting reliability is more important than speed.

These would be very nice in an updated X-Pro1/X-E1:
- New split-screen function for manual focusing
- New peaking function

And as you say - an articulating screen.

The camera still has contrast detect AF. What is not clear is how this works with the phase-detect AF. A hybrid AF that uses PDAF to quickly set the AF with the CDAF fine-tuning the final precise AF point would be the most ideal setup. This is one area that I would like to better understand as to how the X100S uses both AF system and whether it can combine these. That said, I have no issues with the X100 AF for my type of shooting. If I want to shoot faster, I still revert back to my dSLRs.

Edited by Larry, 06 January 2013 - 16:06 .

#4 Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 649 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 06 January 2013 - 14:44

Thanks for the explanation Larry.

At the Fuji site I also noticed they've added a "II" suffix to the X-Trans sensor model.

If I want to shoot faster, I still revert back to my dSLRs.

exactly ..

#5 Luc de Schepper

Luc de Schepper

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,837 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 06 January 2013 - 15:06

I"ll stick to my X100, at least I can convert the RAW images of that camera without problems!
Serious, these are sensible new features. I'm glad I waited to buy a X-Pro or X-E1.
The teething problems of these models will surely be adressed by the successors.
I might buy the new X20 compact to compliment my X100 as a holiday/travel set.
This would give me an all-Fuji workflow, sadly though no RAW support yet for the X20 also.

Edited by Luc de Schepper, 06 January 2013 - 15:07 .

#6 Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 6,501 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 06 January 2013 - 15:59

It looks hot, but I will have to pass until Adobe gets its act together on these X-Trans sensors. Tiff's fill up hard drives fast.
See my photography at http://ronscubadiver.wordpress.com/

#7 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 16:08

At the Fuji site I also noticed they've added a "II" suffix to the X-Trans sensor model.

This also caught my attention. If this is a new improved sensor, I can only hope that it will not present a new kink in processing the RAW files from this camera.

I"ll stick to my X100, at least I can convert the RAW images of that camera without problems!
Serious, these are sensible new features. I'm glad I waited to buy a X-Pro or X-E1.
The teething problems of these models will surely be adressed by the successors.
I might buy the new X20 compact to compliment my X100 as a holiday/travel set.
This would give me an all-Fuji workflow, sadly though no RAW support yet for the X20 also.

I am happy to see Fujifilm's effort in continually improving its products. I wonder how quickly Fujifilm will introduce these new features to the successors of the X-Pro1 and X-E1. If these comes with proper RAW support from Adobe, it will be very difficult to resist these. If these come with an articulating screen, then no amount at resisting these will succeed. :D

Edited by Larry, 06 January 2013 - 16:16 .

#8 BillM

BillM

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 285 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, Virginia

Posted 06 January 2013 - 16:14

I really like my X100. What I want the most is for it to be focused accurately and make the exposure when I push the button. Even in a normally lit room at night. That alone will be enough for me.

I am sure the raw processing will be worked out in the near future.
Best Regards, Bill

.... it all gets better as we grow younger and thinner.

#9 Luc de Schepper

Luc de Schepper

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,837 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 06 January 2013 - 16:17

This also caught my attention. If this is a new improved sensor, I can only hope that it will not present a new kink in processing the RAW files from this camera.

I am happy to see Fujifilm's effort in continually improving its products. I wonder how quickly fFuji will introduce these new features to the successors of the X-Pro1 and X-E1.

Dont worry Larry, The "II" suffix is probably just the marketing department doing their thing.

I quess the X-Pro1 successor will be launched at Photokina September 2013 and the X-E1 successor at CES January 2014.

Edited by Luc de Schepper, 06 January 2013 - 16:19 .

#10 aerobat

aerobat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 06 January 2013 - 20:07

I'm impressed by the push the R&D at Fuji have these days. Let's see how well the new AF system will perform. Having bought the X-E1 a few weeks ago I feel a bit let down to see a new AF system coming out. But that's life and I'm glad to have chosen Fuji as they really develop good cameras lately.
My father in law asked my recommendation for a compact camera. I was thinking of the X10 as I had it before the X-E1 and was pleased with it. But I think we'll wait for the X20 as it's really promising.

Regards, Daniel

#11 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,229 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 06 January 2013 - 20:22

if they can fix a) the autofocus and b ) the terrible artifacts induced by all current demosaicing routines out there, fuji will have an absolutely incredible product. a soon to be great lens lineup, pretty good ergonomics, great dynamic range, color, and noise.... all that's missing is good AF and good detail!

this seems to address one of the above, and with more cameras on the market with the x-trans sensor it helps drive developers to improve the raw processing. great news!

Edited by schwett, 06 January 2013 - 20:22 .

http://photo.sfmthd.org/ [under construction]

#12 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:29

The X20 is a very tempting compact one. IF the viewfinder works (as in actually being useable) the Fujifilm will be in my pocket asap.
Machina fotografica necesse est

#13 aerobat

aerobat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:24

The official Fuji product description:

http://www.fujifilm....st/model/x100s/

I hope they'll issue a firmware update for X-Pro1 and X-E1 with focus peaking and digital split prism which should greatly help manual focussing.

Regards, Daniel

Edited by aerobat, 08 January 2013 - 04:31 .

#14 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 15:25

This video explains and demonstrate the changes made from the X100 to the X100S.

One change I appreciate having been made is the switch of the AF button with the Drive button. This allows the easy changing of the AF point on the fly. I hope that this change can also be made on the X100 as I intend to keep mine for a long time.

Edited by Larry, 08 January 2013 - 15:39 .

#15 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 15:39

Dont worry Larry, The "II" suffix is probably just the marketing department doing their thing.

I quess the X-Pro1 successor will be launched at Photokina September 2013 and the X-E1 successor at CES January 2014.

It would seem that the "II" suffix indicate that the X-trans sensor already incorporate phase detect AF sensors with the main sensor.

This video (in Spanish) at 1:17 indicates that the camera has an intelligent focus system and can switch automatically between PDAF and CDAF but does not indicate whether it is possible to deactivate PDAF and just use the slower but more accurate CDAF. The video also indicate that it is not possible to change the white color used when manual focus peaking is activated (unlike the Sony NEX which gives you three color choices).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZpdWEHdWP7k

Edited by Larry, 08 January 2013 - 16:11 .

#16 RogerB

RogerB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 08 January 2013 - 16:21

I've been following the new Fuji updates to the X10 and X100. I have both of these cameras and they make a great travel combo. The updates seem quite sensible to me. I just installed the 2.0 firmware update to the X10 and I like the Q menu implementation (I think :-) ). I've only had a few minutes to use it but it is visually fast to locate a setting change.

The focus systems on these cameras has always been a bit frustrating to me, in the role I deploy them, it is workable. However, when I take them to the street, zone focusing seems the only reliable answer and somehow that just irks the geek in me. I've got years on a M6 so I'm familiar with the technique, but still ..... The combination of contrast and phase detection should be a welcome implementation. I read something about focus peaking and if that's on the X100s that too would satisfy critical focus point placement - likely best from a tripod however.

I'm pleased to see Fuji continue these products. Whenever I pick up the X100, it seems like I'm in for a serious bout of photography. Last week I grabbed it for some quick snaps of an ailing parent. It was an average indoor lighting situation, bad color temp blends, windows in the wrong place and uncooperative subjects. Three of eight snaps were in focus and I know how to use this camera. It can foil even the best of attempts. I'm so glad I have three good images. For me it's dangerous to vary my technique with the X100, it's not very forgiving and I've got to get my groove on when using it. I find it to be a heady camera. The new features on the X100s sound like they will address most of my irritants.

In our household, we pass the cameras around for photographs. Anyone else using the X100 is bound to get a so-so image. If I make some quick adjustments to put it in the most docile snap-shot mode, I'm invariably tripped up in resetting it. The in-camera settings memory just isn't adequate to store alternate settings/configurations. In my reading of the X100s specs, I didn't see an answer to that (major) nit (for me).

OTOH, the X10 is just fun to use and I'm always amazed of the feeling of elegance when I pick up this camera. Auto EXR is reliable for anyone in the family. I have very large hands and it still fits well and is my preferred snapshot camera for feel. The people that have purchased this camera on my recommendation seem pleased. They don't know any of the technical details behind EXR but I haven't heard any complaints about the camera (lens cap excepted). The VF improvements will be welcome and Fuji's ingenuity is evident in the described implementation.

I'm stubborn enough to keep the X100 as an on-going test of man vrs. machine. Some day I will win!! But both sound very inviting. For me also, it's up to the third party RAW converter wars to see if these come home with me.

Edited by RB, 08 January 2013 - 16:26 .

Best Regards,
Roger

It's still just aperture, shutter-speed and ISO.... right?
D700 | 16-35mm f/4 AFS VR | 24-120mm f/4 AFS VR

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: x100s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.