The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Sigma 19mm f/2.8 EX DN

sigma 19mm micro four thirds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: Sigma 19mm f/2.8 EX DN (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this lens

1. 1 Star (appalling) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Stars (sub-optimal) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 3 Stars (average) (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 4 Stars (above average) (1 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

5. 5 Stars (outstanding) (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,170 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:38

The purpose of this thread is to collect member reviews and opinions of this piece of equipment. If you have used the item in the title please leave your honest opinions of it in this thread.

All new replies are moderated prior to being published. This is to ensure that the content of the threads remains relevant to readers looking for information on the item.

Questions about an item should be posted in a new thread in the relevant board, not here.

All these threads will be indexed on pages for easy future reference.

Purchase on Amazon.com

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:06

I don't have any personal experience with this lens, but here is a test report of it. It is all in Japanese, but you should be able to read out the technical data like aperture, ISO, shutter speed, etc. Click each image to view the one in the original (full) size:

http://dc.watch.impr...410_525234.html

Edited by Akira, 06 January 2013 - 11:09 .

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#3 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:51

I rate this lens 4.5 stars.

This lens performs quite well on the NEX-5N and the NEX-7. It is sharp at the center wide-open and the borders improves visibly at f/4.0, becoming quite good at f/5.0. Unlike the kit lens, one can shoot wide-open with this lens on an NEX-7 with good results. Contrast is average at f/2.8 but is very good by f/4.0. Distortion is a bit more than what I would have wanted but is easily corrected in post-processing. The lens is small, light and compact.

Compared to the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8, color is a bit muted and less saturated but is not at all objectionable and is typical of most Sigma lenses. Flaring resistance is average though it could have been better due to its design of having fewer elements and grouping. Chromatic aberration (CA) is there at f/2.8 but not to the extent to be objectionable. CA is easily removed in post-processing and diminishes considerably upon stepping down to f/5.6.

The lens is priced reasonably at less than $200 but I would not consider it as an exceptional value given its built and performance. While it is true that this lens is priced considerably much less than the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8, there are several factors that explains why I consider this lens as of average value. This is why I rate this lens at 4.5 stars instead of 5 stars.

First is the aperture of f/2.8. This is better than the kit lens but a difference of one-stop or more would have be much better. An f/1.8 or f/2.0 would have been perfect.

Second is the built quality. This lens rattle when the camera is off and there is an audible click when the lens is engaged to auto-focus when the shutter is half-pressed. In a quiet room, this is noticeable and can get annoying.

The third is the higher battery consumption. I have noticed that the battery draws down faster when using this lens.

Fourth is price. While most would see $200 as a reasonable price, one should compare this against other lenses such as the Nikkor 35mm DX and Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G AF-S which sells for about the same price. These Nikkor lenses are much faster, has better optics, and are small and compact. The Nikkor does not rattle and is extremely quiet in operation. Thankfully, this Sigma 19mm f/2.8 lens comes with a hood (unlike the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 which does not come with a hood). This Sigma lens does come with a nicer pouch than the pouch for the Nikkor lens.

Edited by Larry, 06 January 2013 - 12:52 .

#4 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 13:19

My first one cracked in half due to a manufacturing defect. Doing good work with my second copy, and will post some shots this week.

Edit, shots:

A brilliant location portraiture lens...

Posted Image
africa 1.3.137064 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

Edited by yunfat, 07 January 2013 - 18:29 .

#5 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 06 January 2013 - 15:50

I would have considered buying it if it could focus up to about 15cm. Since I used Ais 28/2.8, I've been big fan of wideangle closeups of flowers because of their "being there" feelings. Zeiss 24/1.8 allow focusing up to 16cm.

FWIW, the optical design of this lens is different from that of the fixed 19/2.8 on Sigma's DP1 Merrill. The former consists of 8 elements in 6 groups, and the latter, 9 elements in 8 groups.

Edited by Akira, 06 January 2013 - 15:59 .

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sigma, 19mm, micro four thirds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.