mindspan

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 38 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 02 January 2013 - 23:17

Hi all,
I haven't been frequenting photography boards much lately as we have been busy with the publication of our photography periodical for iPad, DarkroomPro Magazine.

I just wanted to let you all know that we've moved from paid to a free pricing model that is supported by our advertising. In order for this to work, we need as wide a distribution as possible... so if you have an iPad, please feel free to download the application and read our magazine at no cost to you.

If you have any suggestions or comments, please feel free to contact me directly at editor@darkroom.pro.

You can download the magazine from iTunes using the following link:

http://itunes.apple....438398369?mt=8#

Happy shooting, and all the best in 2013!

Edited by mindspan, 02 January 2013 - 23:19 .

• yunfat likes this
Ray Richards
Editor DarkroomPro Magazine
http://www.Darkroom.pro

#2 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 02 January 2013 - 23:55

cool! my only critique... yet another magazine app. I'm drowning in magazine apps and teh apple newstand app is squeaky clean... obviously there's something wrong with that picture.
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#3 mindspan

mindspan

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 00:21

cool! my only critique... yet another magazine app. I'm drowning in magazine apps and teh apple newstand app is squeaky clean... obviously there's something wrong with that picture.

Thanks very much for your comments. We are looking to move to newstand with an upcoming upgrade; however, the restrictions imposed by Apple for inclusion in Newstand are quite onerous, and therefore responsible for the situation you find yourself in with regard to the number of magazine apps living outside that container.

I hope you enjoy the magazine nonetheless!
Ray Richards

#4 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:15

Have you considered Zinio as a means for distribution? (you'd be my second magazine I talk into Zinio... :) )
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#5 mindspan

mindspan

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:34

Have you considered Zinio as a means for distribution? (you'd be my second magazine I talk into Zinio... :) )

We looked at it, but feel that going with Newstand eventually will be the way to go. Thanks for the tip, and enjoy the magazine :)
Ray Richards

#6 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,757 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:42

I'm very happy to endorse DarkroomPro as one of our friends here at Fotozones / Nikongear. Ray and I have agreed to help promote each other's endeavours and you will be seeing some crossover between this site and the DarkroomPro magazine in the months ahead. :)

Win a thinkTank Retrospective 30 camera bag just by making a post to Fotozones this week! 

Please support Fotozones by purchasing your gear from our website advertisers wherever possible. 

#7 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 9,834 posts
  • LocationNew York State
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 24 January 2013 - 19:07

DarkroomPro is most attractively designed and very well written and I thoroughly enjoyed the first two productions.

One question though: the second one is labelled "January 2012" and I imagine that it is actually the Jan 2013 issue?

#8 lenmil

lenmil

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 203 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 20:51

Will there be an Android version. Thanks.

Take the shot, you never know.

#9 afx

afx

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,325 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 24 January 2013 - 21:22

Will there be an Android version. Thanks.

Yes please.

cheers
afx
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
My latest book: The AfterShot Survival Guide  
sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad  Still no clue how to take decent pictures though, see afximages.com ;-(

#10 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,757 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:29

DarkroomPro is most attractively designed and very well written and I thoroughly enjoyed the first two productions.

One question though: the second one is labelled "January 2012" and I imagine that it is actually the Jan 2013 issue?

It is a very nice publication. I enjoyed reading it. Ann, I was wondering about that too, but I think it is Jan 2012 if you look at the content it seems to be from that period.

Android users, I think there are PDF versions you can download, which obviously don't have the multimedia elements embedded in them.

Win a thinkTank Retrospective 30 camera bag just by making a post to Fotozones this week! 

Please support Fotozones by purchasing your gear from our website advertisers wherever possible. 

#11 mindspan

mindspan

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 20:21

Thanks very much for your kind words Ann. We actually had a publication hiatus between the last two issues while we transitioned to the free model we have employed now. Next issue is coming out in February.

An Android version is certainly in the cards for the future; however, we chose to target the tablet platform with the most market share first before we spend development resources (which given our free price point are limited) on supporting other systems.
Ray Richards

#12 Ann

Ann

• Life Member
  • 9,834 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 25 January 2013 - 23:16

I have installed your App. on my iPad and am looking forward to reading your next edition.

It would be great if we could save them as PDFs to open in iBooks so that we can read the magazine when we are out of reach of the Internet such as being in flight.

#13 mindspan

mindspan

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 23:21

I have installed your App. on my iPad and am looking forward to reading your next edition.

It would be great if we could save them as PDFs to open in iBooks so that we can read the magazine when we are out of reach of the Internet such as being in flight.

You only require an internet connection for the app to download the magazine issue initially, and occasionally a streamed video. There was only 1 video in the magazine last month that required an internet connection -- for the most part it's not at all required to read an issue. Of course if there is a link to online content outside the magazine, that would also require a connection.

Hope this helps!
Ray Richards

#14 Ann

Ann

• Life Member
  • 9,834 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 25 January 2013 - 23:24

Great!
I do have another flight planned within the next two weeks so your magazine will accompany me (and a substantial amount of camera gear!) on it!

#15 mindspan

mindspan

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:40

Hi again all,
Just thought I'd mention for those that don't have an iPad or want to read the magazine on a different device, the back issues are now all available on the site in PDF format. While the multimedia elements are disabled, the articles and images are still intact, making it more like a standard magazine.

Hope this helps!

We are looking at supporting more platforms in the near future :rolleyes:
Ray Richards

#16 lenmil

lenmil

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 203 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 22:57

Very well put together. Good info as well. Thank you for posting this. The PDF works well with my Android tablet. Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (4.0.4 ics) in case that helps you. Still waiting for Jelly Bean in Australia.

Take the shot, you never know.

#17 Chris101

Chris101

Chris101

• Moderators
  • 5,226 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:30

Yeah, I'd get it if I could run the app on my ipt5g.

#18 mindspan

mindspan

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 17:48

You'll be pleased to hear that DarkroomPro Magazine is now a Newsstand App. Hope this helps!

Ray Richards

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ipad, ios, magazine, photography

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users