#81 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,324 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:08

OK, as I said earlier I'm working up how to convert this look into a portrait I'm considering, so this evening at sunset I took the Fuji & Samyang 8mm full-frame fisheye into the back yard, mounted in vertical orientation on my RRS monopod, and did a sweep of 5 exposures to cover 360º+. Autopano Giga didn't want to know regarding stitching, however PTGUI assembled it without fuss (which is why I bought both programs - this often happens where one fails and the other succeeds). Processed as "Little Planet", it came up with this:
Posted Image

so I rearranged the pano projection so that the 4' fencepost was front & center (substituting for a person) and this was the result. With very careful placement of the portrait subject I'd have to be lower and closer) this might work:
Posted Image

#82 Mike G

Mike G

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,877 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:59

Elsa it looks like your washing is ready to be taken in. :D
Mike Gorman
My interview thread :- this link

#83 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

The humble little lady from Cape Town

• Moderators
  • 7,722 posts
  • LocationCape Town
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:32

you are enjoying playing arent you :)

Mike G :devil:
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#84 Tersn

Tersn

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 13 January 2013 - 20:18

For those who might be interested, there are several flickr groups devoted to photos transformed using polar coordinates. Here is the link to one with more than 16000 pictures:

http://www.flickr.co...yourownplanets/

tersn
(Terje)

On flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tsnd09/

#85 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 17:30

Ah... ha.. The front fence post picked up perspective... Excellent...

That will be my template for a subway shot of Wall St labeled station with people standing around...

My Little Island then could become the Planet of the Gapes... :)

Rags

#86 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,324 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:56

Got the gear now. Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 VR Pano head with mount for Samyang 8/2.8 lens.
Posted Image

On an angle like this, 6 shots @ 60º intervals gives more than enough overlap for the full 360x180º field of view to be covered.

A little bit of experimentation thus far shows that a whole shedload of experimentation will be needed in order to wring the best little planets out of this gear. As for my brilliant epiphany regarding portraits - meh - not so much. Making people look like cartoon characters perched on little balls might be an acquired taste that's a bridge too far.

The effects one can get are pretty much endless when working within a complete sphere, though. Lunch & backgammon in the shelter at the protest camp on Wednesday, Little Planet version:
Posted Image

Same shot, different settings in the Little Planet projection:
Posted Image

Previous two processed in AutoPano Giga. This shot outside of the "kitchen" area processed in PTGUI (gotta love the rendition of the tripod in this one :) ):
Posted Image

#87 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

• Moderators
  • 7,722 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:35

Last one is the nicest in my opinion :)
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#88 jramskov

jramskov

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:13

Last one is quite nice.
Joergen Ramskov
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. [Douglas Adams]

#89 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,324 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:24

Just experimenting - I really wanted to work a way of getting people into these, but I'm drawing a blank - the distortion is too heavy.

I like how in the last one the camera looks to be 3 metres above the tripod upon which it was sitting :) .

Edited by Fred Nirque, 25 January 2013 - 12:25 .

#90 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 15:26

I like the second from last (where less is more for me)

While these are "sticky" (requires viewer to be more engaged to figure out whats in the shot),

I'm beginning to think there is a limit of content that can be distorted to improve the image.

There may be diminishing returns.

All are technically excellent

Rags

#91 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,324 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 21:45

Thanks, Rags. I'm sure there's a line of suitability for this sort of thing to be explored still, though both the subject and the appeal of the end result might turn out to be very narrow indeed. Out of it being Elsa's post which sparked this further exploration of the technique I'll continue to post images as I progress, which might also help anyone who is contemplating this to perhaps not waste time travelling up blind alleys. I was headed out to the forest today to try to find the conditions necessary for using this successfully amongst tall trees, but at the moment the smoke from the Victorian bushfires has drifted across Bass Straight and things are not great for photography in the resulting haze.

I did take one in a confined spot in the forest the other day, standing at the base of the 50 metre tall "Twisted Sister" tree (middle, upper), which in turn has been shrunk visually in relation to the bush I was backed into in order to fit the whole of the old girl into shot. I was standing only about 4 metres (13ft) from the base of this old 165' tree. The shot doesn't really work for me, but it gives me a starting point - i.e. I need a bigger clearing to shoot from. The extremes lost too much definition in the warping as well for my liking (not to mention the weird magenta banding in the sky).

Posted Image

I might add that I'll be shooting zenith and azimuth shots in future to get rid of the tripod and also avoid some of the definition-destroying stretching that goes on in the outer extremities (which is why I paid the extra for the NN R1 Ultimate - it has a tilt function which provides for those shots anyway).

Edited by Fred Nirque, 25 January 2013 - 21:49 .

• Elsa Hoffmann likes this

#92 armando_m

armando_m

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,874 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara

Posted 27 January 2013 - 20:16

some fun distortions ...

P1271675_planet1.jpg

guess it is better to step away from anything you want to be able to see better

Regards,
Armando 

#93 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

• Moderators
  • 7,722 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:48

hehe its funky

#94 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,324 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:47

IAt the 19th Century section of the hop fields today.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#95 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

• Moderators
  • 7,722 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:58

Snazzie!

#96 Millirehm

Millirehm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationVienna Austria

Posted 28 January 2013 - 13:33

Very amazing thread containing a lot of inspiring stuff. Thanks Elsa and all contributors!
Wolfgang

#97 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 15:23

Nice stuff Fred.... (you're really getting good at this... :good: )

I need a hug

Posted Image

Rags

Edited by Rags, 28 January 2013 - 16:03 .

#98 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,324 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:06

Just as an additional note, the last three I posted were done with the Nodal Ninja R1 head, 8mm Samyang fisheye on Fuji X-Pro1, six shots through 360º, with extra zenith and nadir shots, which end up with a seamless result using AutoPano Giga software in "Little Planet" projection. Takes about 20 seconds to generate after choosing the viewpoint and horizon has been decided on in the APG editor.

#99 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,324 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 13:17

And just to round off the techniques, the little island polar coordinates action works just fine on the spherical panos above if they are processed instead to the Mercator projection:

Posted Image

#100 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 19:24

Ah... ha.. The front fence post picked up perspective... Excellent...

That will be my template for a subway shot of Wall St labeled station with people standing around...

My Little Island then could become the Planet of the Gapes... :)

Rags

Well I got it done, I was out of town. Looks green, I have the printers profile on it

Edited by Rags, 03 March 2013 - 15:11 .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users