#41 Fred Nirque

Fred Nirque

Feral Fungi

• Life Member
  • 4,226 posts
  • LocationRural Tasmania
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:32

I'm a hoarder of off-beat stuff like this - you never know when it might be just the thing you need at a given time.

The pano stitcher way only works when you're actually stitching a pano - for finished photos it won't work (i.e. I had to stitch all 75 photos again just to apply Little Planet), so in the odd chance the effect is needed but access to the component photos of the pano are unavailable, then this looks to be a viable alternative. I've been meaning to have a crack at producing a portrait with this effect for several years now, so with an easy alternative way of producing an approximation from a single straight image it might help with plotting the full-size, multi-image version.

Good thread, most helpful. Thanks.

Alan.

Tasmania still destroys ancient old-growth temperate rainforest for woodchips & low grade veneer.
http://www.stillwild...threatened.org/
http://www.huon.org/

#42 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

The humble little lady from Cape Town

• Moderators
  • 7,715 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:41

:) welcome

now share some of your little tricks too when you find some kinky thing like this
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#43 Fred Nirque

Fred Nirque

Feral Fungi

• Life Member
  • 4,226 posts
  • LocationRural Tasmania

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:10

So you will be aware of my work photographing the lone tree-sit protester Miranda Gibson who has been on her 60m high platform for over a year now without touching ground once. I've been up the tree a few times, but have never been able to capture the sense of how high, or how remote it is. Taking one of the partial panos and hitting it with your Little Island action, it presents me with a starting point for a solution.:
Posted Image

It might mean another trip up the tree, but the result could be the iconic portrait of her campaign, even if it ends soon. Potential solutions sometimes crop up in the most unexpected way.

Edited by Fred Nirque, 30 December 2012 - 12:10 .

• Colin-M likes this

Alan.

Tasmania still destroys ancient old-growth temperate rainforest for woodchips & low grade veneer.

#44 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

• Moderators
  • 7,715 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:13

Yup I am aware of you project - and you are right - this might be great - work it all ways to Sunday and see what you can get our of if.
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#45 Fred Nirque

Fred Nirque

Feral Fungi

• Life Member
  • 4,226 posts
  • LocationRural Tasmania

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:25

I'll pop this off to Miranda tomorrow morning and see what she thinks. Then I guess setting a shot up on the ground with a volunteer to see if a multi-shot pano and stitcher-generated "Little Planet" projection will be doable, followed by the real thing up the tree when I've got it worked out. Then the 60x60" print. :)

Getting up that tree takes some planning and some doing, so everything will have to be right beforehand.

Alan.

#46 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

• Moderators
  • 7,715 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:25

This is too much fun

Attached Images

• _EHO1762.jpg
  • _EHO1762.jpg

#47 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

• Moderators
  • 7,715 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:26

Fred I would very much like to see what you come up with - regards the tree project

#48 Fred Nirque

Fred Nirque

Feral Fungi

• Life Member
  • 4,226 posts
  • LocationRural Tasmania

Posted 30 December 2012 - 13:14

Love that last one....

I've already sent off the request to Miranda, but it will be a big production/effort involving numerous people and much planning - and the weather....

It's unfortunately not something that can happen in a studio or back yard - I might even have to earn my climbing spurs to do this one.

Alan.

#49 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

• Moderators
  • 7,715 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 30 December 2012 - 13:35

well you know the process and the more image you run thru this - the more you will get the idea of what kind of images will work best. I think we must run a number of different things thru this - we might find some things we didnt know could work.
have you tried a circular fisheye?

#50 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

• Moderators
  • 7,715 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 30 December 2012 - 20:31

Okey I think I must stop now.
just to show - you dont have to use a landscape image with a sky

Attached Images

• 121215 Ceres 002a.jpg
  • 121215 Ceres 002.jpg

#51 Fred Nirque

Fred Nirque

Feral Fungi

• Life Member
  • 4,226 posts
  • LocationRural Tasmania

Posted 30 December 2012 - 22:06

These are getting better each time.

This work break between Christmas and New Year is when I traditionally sort all my archived work in date order in my external drives, but this is now distracting me, looking for shots which I never thought worked in their original form to see if this can add a different dimension. I know I've come across the technique in the distant past, but had completely forgotten about it. It's ow saved in my Actions folder so hopefully I won't forget it or lose it again. Very handy.

I confess that I nearly bought a circular fisheye a while ago, but reading up on them it became evident that that a good deal of money would have to be spent - the cheaper designs seemed to suffer severe compression distortion around the edges (in other words, accentuated barrel distortion), and to avoid this the cost skyrockets. They're also OK for looking up or ahead, but getting the downward aspect as this technique delivers would be very tricky indeed unless one had a skyhook. Whatever was holding the camera up would have to appear in shot if it touched ground, and that would not be neatly in the retouchable centre of the shot as the tripod/pano head did in the 360ยบ example I posted using both variations of the software technique.

That said, I'd probably buy a circular 4.5mm Samyang for the Fuji X-Pro1 anyway if it is ever released with that mount, given that the full-frame Samyang 8mm is by far the best - and cheapest - full-frame fish I've ever used.

Alan.

#52 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

• Moderators
  • 7,715 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 30 December 2012 - 22:27

I keep wondering why Adobe put this damn filter in the suite.
I am sorry I am distracting you :tease: :mosking:

#53 Fred Nirque

Fred Nirque

Feral Fungi

• Life Member
  • 4,226 posts
  • LocationRural Tasmania

Posted 30 December 2012 - 22:43

No bad distraction at all. Over the years I've looked at the "Little Planet" projection with puzzlement as to any possible use, now there suddenly seems to be worthwhile potential. I guess it's because previous examples I've seen posted didn't actually utilize it for its own sake but simply as a gimmick. Actually shooting with it as an end could end up with some excellent imagery without the kitsch factor.

I guess my inability to comprehend was through the stitcher not presenting the image as a horizontal, rectangular rendition first. I didn't get the relationship between that and the end result, but seeing a similar effect and the rectilinear photograph it started out as turned the light on.

I'm particularly drawn to the potential of portraiture showing the subject's environment without diminishing the subject's presence through size and without undue distortion. This "looking down" aspect from a horizontal shot should work this to advantage well. I'm hoping Miranda wants to have a crack at this as well, but of course I can't coerce her. She has a 60 metre advantage...

Edited by Fred Nirque, 30 December 2012 - 22:45 .

Alan.

#54 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

• Moderators
  • 7,715 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:48

what are the chances you can "test" this (climb up your local tree) ?
perhaps also use some of the images you took previously and run them thru to get an idea of what you need to shoot to get the best set up?

#55 Fred Nirque

Fred Nirque

Feral Fungi

• Life Member
  • 4,226 posts
  • LocationRural Tasmania

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:08

I don't think I'll need to actually be up a tree - I'll just mark the area of the platform to scale on the ground, the position of the tree trunk, and find where best to put a person in relation to distance from camera in a 360 pano. The size the person ends up as in the scheme of things is the most important, the rest will fall into place as it will.

I'm looking at various images which might help me at the moment, but rather ominously Miranda has not responded to my email yet so maybe she won't want to do this (although I can't see why not, to be honest). Hopefully she's just run out of power up there, or she's got a whole bunch of new year's revellers gathering on the ground and in the tree at the moment. I'll give it a couple of days to settle down and maybe things will move on OK then. It'll give me some time to play around with the concept as well.

Alan.

#56 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

• Moderators
  • 7,715 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:11

great- keep us up to date

#57 Tersn

Tersn

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,038 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:24

Interesting thread.
I am frequently working in polar coordinates, but this is the first time I am using it on a photo. You can actually create new species this way :D (not as perfect as you two experts Elsa and Fred, but it will do for an amateur. Guess it would have been better if I purchased PS).

HangingAroundTransf.jpg

tersn
(Terje)

On flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tsnd09/

#58 Geomiljo

Geomiljo

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:52

Great photos, had to try myself, lots of fun, however not so easy to get the seam look good...

#59 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

• Moderators
  • 7,715 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:03

hehe love the bird

Geomiljo - you learn a couple of things -

make sure you get the two short sides to be as close as possible to one another - if it is a sky and clouds - make sure you have it the same both sides - it helps with the merge

also make sure your horizon is straight - not higher one side than the other side

see the yacht image - I copied the sun flare to the other side of the image BEFORE JOINING IT - so it could blend better

the roadstall (above) - almost a perfect merge - almost no work had to be done

Attached Images

• 120907 Sharks 266.jpg
  • 120907 Sharks 266.jpg

#60 Geomiljo

Geomiljo

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:45

Yes, thanks, my first try was of a lake shoreline, I surely leveled the lake prior to following the instructions from yesterday, but didn't think to much of the contour of the background hill, so it looked bad - but still an interesting effect with the lake as some kind of eye in the middle of the picture. Then I played around a little with a test shot of some kind of flower I found on the desktop, that turned out somewhat better, but still the seam was terrible, so I had to cut it out completely. Looks very weird, but somehow promising I think. Some further experimentation is called for.

I think I'll search my archive to find some clean shots of the ocean to play around with, trying to get that seam look good.

/Johan

Attached Images

• _LAC5825.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users