The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Nikon V2 scores lower than V1 at DxOMark

v2 v1 rx100

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:29

The Nikon V2 sensor total score is lower than the V1 sensor at DxOMark but looking at the specific measurements of both cameras, the V2 is actually better than the V1 in DR. The Sony RX100 however tops both in DR and in color sensitivity.

Here is the link to a comparo of these 3 cameras' sensor

http://www.dxomark.c.../(brand3)/Nikon

#2 Eb Mueller

Eb Mueller

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationChilliwack, BC, Canada
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:10

Actually, the comparison has the V1 score higher than V2 on all parameters, overall, colour depth, dynamic range, except for "sports," low light. Seems like that V1 remains a relative bargain. I think Nikon should have taken some time to match RX100, rather than release the V2.

Edited by Eb Mueller, 21 December 2012 - 02:11 .

Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada
http://www.pbase.com/emueller

#3 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:40

Well they seem to have gotten the processor upgraded for higher fps

Now they need to get the EVF reported stutter gone on the V2.

Low light capability seems to evade them, simply posting iso 6400 capability invites criticism when tested.

Rags

#4 retief

retief

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 426 posts
  • LocationPacific NW, USA

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:00

Stuff more MP's on the small sensor, you would expect something to give. I bought the "bargain" V1 a short time ago, at this price it is not a bad deal at all. Nice little camera, but it sure won't replace my D800.
Bill Dewey

The Focused Eye

"The Older I Get, the Better I Was........"
- aspiring photographer and didgeridooist extraordinaire -

#5 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:10

I was really dissatisfied with the V1 & sold it.

I was hoping to get a used V2 next year after my depreciation experience with the V1

If the stutter is fixed with firmware I'm a buyer, if not I pass

Rags

#6 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 21 December 2012 - 17:32

Actually, the comparison has the V1 score higher than V2 on all parameters, overall, colour depth, dynamic range, except for "sports," low light. Seems like that V1 remains a relative bargain. I think Nikon should have taken some time to match RX100, rather than release the V2.

Eb, the total score in DR is not helpful as looking at the DR values of each camera at specific ISO to see which camera is better. Here are the DR measurement at the indicated ISO setting. Except at Base ISO 200 and at ISO 3200 where the V1 is ahead by a slight margin, the V2 sensor is still a bit better than the V1 though not by much really.

Here are DxOMark's Dynamic Range Measurement Values for the V1 and V2

******************** V1 ************ V2
--------------------------------------------
ISO 200 ---------- 10.78 ---------- 10.59 EV
ISO 400 ---------- 10.16 ---------- 10.49 EV
ISO 800 ---------- 9.42 ---------- 9.83 EV
ISO 1600 -------- 8.96 ---------- 8.97 EV

ISO 3200 -------- 8.32 ---------- 8.0 EV

Looking at the other performance parameters such as SNR, color and tonality, there is really not that much difference between the V1 and V2 if reviewed on "Print" basis. It will be quite difficult for most to differentiate between the two I think. I am thus surprised why DxOMark has chosen to focus and highlight the difference by slanting this against the V2 when the difference is negligible as both V1 and V2 may be slightly ahead of the other depending on the ISO setting..

I agree that the Nikon V1 is a bargain and this is why I ordered one along with an FT-1. The lack of improvement in the V2 sensor, plus the V1 bargain basement price practically ensures that the V2 will not sell well either. And now word is that Nikon is coming out with an S1 and a J3 in January next year! Nikon is on a slippery slope here!

Re RX100, Nikon would have done better if it simply used the Sony sensor currently found in the RX100.

Edited by Larry, 21 December 2012 - 17:51 .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: v2, v1, rx100

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.