The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Analysis of the DxOMark Camera Sensor in Luminous Landscape

dxomark luminous landscape peter van den hamer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 18 December 2012 - 19:41

Peter van den Hamer examines the DxOMark Camera Sensor test in Luminous Landscape

http://www.luminous-..._cameras2.shtml

Edited by Larry, 18 December 2012 - 19:42 .

#2 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,096 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 18 December 2012 - 22:43

I read quite a bit of it, but got a little bogged down 'cause I was tired from editing. I'm going to try again!
It is good to have these technical analyses to figure out our personal compromises when choosing a new camera or lens.

I'm deeply fascinated by both the technical and artistic side of photography.
I guess that makes me some kind of gear-head air-head. :D :D :D :D :D
  • Elsa Hoffmann likes this

Andrea B.
UltravioletPhotography.com

#3 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,229 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 18 December 2012 - 22:50

very interesting. thanks for posting the link.

the basic truth revealed by this benchmark is that you can't compare between images of different resolution at a pixel by pixel level. for a real comparison, you have to compare things that have been resized to match. resample a d800/e image to 12 megapixels and compare it to a d3s image and you quickly see how silly any complaint about the sharpness/noise/color/etc of the latest cameras is. we've come a long way!
http://photo.sfmthd.org/ [under construction]

#4 Pa

Pa

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 243 posts
  • LocationSW Virginia, USA

Posted 18 December 2012 - 22:54

A rather technical but very informative article. Thanks for alerting us to this.

#5 Tom

Tom

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,855 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 January 2013 - 21:44

A very balanced article that makes a lot of things clear about DxOmark's measurements.
Gordon Laing's review of the D800 noise/resolution at downsampled output-sizes confirmes that per-pixel noise comparison is almost irrelevant.

Edited by Tom, 16 January 2013 - 21:58 .

Thomas (moderator and lens-tester at Camera Labs)
All my lens reviews, My Photography Blog, My photos

#6 retief

retief

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 426 posts
  • LocationPacific NW, USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 23:23

What a super article, and now I am also going to have to look up Gardon Laing's review noted by Tom. Owning a D800 and a D600, I was pretty darned happy with this article, until I came to this line:

"And high resolution numbers also helps impress your (male) friends at the bar"

Now, I'm just not sure anymore, does this mean I have to start going to a bar and finding some male friends??????
Bill Dewey

The Focused Eye

"The Older I Get, the Better I Was........"
- aspiring photographer and didgeridooist extraordinaire -

#7 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:33

:D ... Bill, now having both, which one do you prefer for what use?

Edited by Larry, 17 January 2013 - 06:35 .

#8 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

The humble little lady from Cape Town

• Life Member
  • 7,952 posts
  • LocationCape Town
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:48

Andrea I am with you in the "interested in tech and photo..." thing

thanks for the link - reading matter for tonight.
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#9 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:57

very interesting. thanks for posting the link.

the basic truth revealed by this benchmark is that you can't compare between images of different resolution at a pixel by pixel level. for a real comparison, you have to compare things that have been resized to match. resample a d800/e image to 12 megapixels and compare it to a d3s image and you quickly see how silly any complaint about the sharpness/noise/color/etc of the latest cameras is. we've come a long way!

A very balanced article that makes a lot of things clear about DxOmark's measurements.
Gordon Laing's review of the D800 noise/resolution at downsampled output-sizes confirmes that per-pixel noise comparison is almost irrelevant.

Indeed. I do also look at the "Screen" measurements as this is helpful in understanding what the result would be if substantial cropping is needed. Viewed at this level, the D3/D700 is quite close to the D4 until ISO 6400 except in DR and in terms of the D4's 4mp resolution advantage. With a longer lens, the D3/D700 comes close to the D4's performance (except in DR) if the D4 was used with a wider lens and then had the 16mp image cropped to 12mp equivalent of the D3/D700.

Edited by Larry, 17 January 2013 - 10:09 .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dxomark, luminous landscape, peter van den hamer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.