The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

That new Sigma 35/1.4 is sharp!

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:34

This is from www.lenstip.com.

It also seem to beat the Nikkor on coma flare, lateral and longitudinal CA. "Worse" wrt. vignetting though.

Attached Images

• Nikkor vs Sigma.jpg

Edited by stenrasmussen, 14 December 2012 - 10:40 .

Machina fotografica necesse est

#2 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:20

Sten, this is indeed quite an impressive performance by the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 lens in the 1.4 to 2.0 range.

Edited by Larry, 14 December 2012 - 11:42 .

#3 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 14 December 2012 - 13:40

A couple of linkies:
http://www.lensrenta...new-world-order
http://www.lensrenta...-lens-for-canon

#4 PedroS

PedroS

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 14 December 2012 - 17:55

Hum... very interesting indeed.
Have to try one, let's see when...
Thanks
PedroS

www.pedrosfotografia.com

#5 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 14 December 2012 - 20:32

Hm. The report states clearly the Sigma does not deliver the same kind of buttery smooth bokeh as the Nikon (and Canon) equivalents. So again, one has to determine the planned usage of the lens before rushing out to get one. Sharpness alone, good as it may be, is not always the prime factor of importance.

I purchased my AFS 35/1.4 solely because of its bokeh and superb handling of spot-light sources.The "drawing" of the image by this lens is special in the smooth way the sharp portion of the frame fades into the unsharp background. It'll be interesting to compare the rendition from the Sigma on similar subjects.
Bjørn

#6 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 14 December 2012 - 20:54

It may be that the Sigma engineers over-corrected the optics in order to boost resolution at the expense of smooth (less "perfect" optically) OOF area.

#7 Fons Baerken

Fons Baerken

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 8,939 posts
  • LocationNederland

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:18

all nikkor fast primes suffer greatly from CA (on the d800
with the 50/1.4g leading the bunch)
and their oof rendering is sweet

#8 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 15 December 2012 - 17:38

...one might ask exactly what the point is of an f/1.4 lens if the bokeh is not excellent. if the focus was obtaining an absolutely sharp image over the entire frame, you'd be shooting at a much smaller aperture and the size, weight, and cost of the f/1.4 lens is wasted.

if indeed these designs are the result of necessary optical compromises, i'll take better OOF rendition for a little less sharpness at f/1.4 and f/2.0!
http://photo.sfmthd.org/ [under construction]

#9 rvink

rvink

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,031 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 16 December 2012 - 20:28

This picture from Lloyd Chambers blog shows awful bokeh - look at that jagged background. I'd trade a bit of sharpness for smoother rendition any day...
Posted Image

#10 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 16 December 2012 - 20:38

really awful. it has that jittery double vision thing going on.

i suppose the real question is whether decent bokeh is worth the $700 (?) difference between this and the 35/1.4g....
http://photo.sfmthd.org/ [under construction]

#11 Marco

Marco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts
  • LocationRijswijk, Netherlands.

Posted 16 December 2012 - 21:48

The Nikkor 35mm 1.4 is high on my wish list and my thought was at first when it came out that it would be in the same category as the 85mm 1.4 but what i have read so far i am not totally convinced about the gem this lens is and the price you pay for it.
It would be ideal for the way i photograph (street,landscape) very curious to read what my fellow Nikongearers have to say about the Nikkor 35mm who own a copy did it fill the expectations you had about this lens?

Marco.

#12 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 16 December 2012 - 22:20

The AFS 35/1.4 is everything one could wish for ...
  • Marco likes this
Bjørn

#13 Fons Baerken

Fons Baerken

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 8,939 posts
  • LocationNederland

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:35

one of the lenses i use most with the 24/g and a long one in my bag

#14 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,072 posts
  • LocationLille

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:10

with the AFS 35/1.4 it is the LoCA that puts me off wide open. From f/2.0 on, I am pleased with the Zeiss.

#15 Marco

Marco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts
  • LocationRijswijk, Netherlands.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:07

The AFS 35/1.4 is everything one could wish for ...

well that says enough! :)

#16 pluton

pluton

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 700 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA USA

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:23

Sigma's reputation for highly variable quality control vs Nikon's reputation for very good quality control--D800 notwithstanding--does cause one to stop and think.
Keith B.

#17 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,169 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:08

Sigma's reputation for highly variable quality control vs Nikon's reputation for very good quality control--D800 notwithstanding--does cause one to stop and think.

That may have been the case a long time ago, but I don't think it is the case anymore. When I get lenses from Sigma to evaluate they come in sealed boxes as brand new items. I haven't been disappointed with any of their offerings in recent times.

I'll see about getting one of these for a test run.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#18 pluton

pluton

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 700 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA USA

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:30

That may have been the case a long time ago, but I don't think it is the case anymore. When I get lenses from Sigma to evaluate they come in sealed boxes as brand new items. I haven't been disappointed with any of their offerings in recent times.

I'll see about getting one of these for a test run.

Good news.
Keith B.

#19 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,169 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:45

Also remember that Sigma operate on the cutting edge of optical design. Many of their lenses don't have any Nikon or Canon counterparts (eg, 12-24mm full frame, 120-300mm 2. 8). I don't know what the design of this particular lens is but it might be very different to the Nikkor's design, which would explain why the bokeh in those pictures looks so bad.

It's never a good idea to base one's judgement on a lens from only one sample image, especially when the lens in question can be tweaked by USB.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#20 PedroS

PedroS

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:09

Dallas, do you know when those USBs will be available to tweak the lens?
I hope the software will be Mac compatible...
Thanks
PedroS

www.pedrosfotografia.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.