The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Excellent V1 review on Nikon rumours

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 gerhard2006

gerhard2006

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:16

Here's an excellent review of the V1 with the 10 mm 2.8 pancake lens. As a sleuth-type street or beach camera, it's fun to take people pix with the camera on it's electronic shutter as he mentions. He also compares it to other cameras he's owned and sold. It's a good read if you are interested in this camera which currently sells for 299 USD. Enjoy
http://nikonrumors.c...spx/#more-49710

#2 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:30

This is not a review in any common sense of the phrase. An enthusiastic article about the use of a V1, yes.
Bjørn

#3 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:59

As BJorn says not a review, but, very interesting.
Seems this little camera can perform very well indeed in certain situations, may be worth a look!

Moose says " if you have a very expensive lens and you have a very cheap tripod, you're nuts"  

#4 Michael Erlewine

Michael Erlewine

Michael Erlewine

• Life Member
  • 2,970 posts
  • LocationBig Rapids, MI USA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:02

It speaks well of the camera, but better yet of the photographer. And B&W helped. I would have liked to see some color shots.

Founder of MacroStop.com, the All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, All-Game Guide, ClassicPosters.com, SpiritGrooves.net, and other sites.

#5 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 15:14

At $300 with a lens, its a worthwhile package if you don't shot in low light or bursts.

Rags

#6 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 05 December 2012 - 19:45

why no bursts? the 1 series are just about the only mirrorless cameras with actually usable continuous autofocus... and at 10FPS no less. buffer clearing?
http://photo.sfmthd.org/ [under construction]

#7 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 19:55

why no bursts? the 1 series are just about the only mirrorless cameras with actually usable continuous autofocus... and at 10FPS no less. buffer clearing?

No bursts, picture review made the camera worthless to me; you can't follow your subject.

Rags

#8 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 21:12

There's no picture review while you burst. However, the frame rate of the live view drops significantly, which makes it impractical to follow the subject.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#9 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 21:27

There's no picture review while you burst. However, the frame rate of the live view drops significantly, which makes it impractical to follow the subject.

It was (pic review) on the V1 I had... I never use live view. I was blind during a burst & the subject moved out of the frame during the course.

#10 Eb Mueller

Eb Mueller

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,252 posts
  • LocationChilliwack, BC, Canada

Posted 06 December 2012 - 00:13

It was (pic review) on the V1 I had... I never use live view. I was blind during a burst & the subject moved out of the frame during the course.

I have been shooting my V1 for a year now, nearly 7,000 exposures. It is not my only camera, not my favourite, but well used. Never had a problem with low light focus which includes indoors, civil twilight or dark woods. I've successfully shot bursts of animal behaviour, birds in flight, etc., both with and without the FT-1 adapter. I've been able to make some great images, IMO.

There is no picture review in the electronic viewfinder until the end of the burst - that is clear. But, during the burst there is a lag in the refresh. This makes for a choppy view of the pan or fast subject movement. Obviously, can't beat an optical viewfinder - not yet. BTW, I do also get a bit of visual disorientation caused by the mirror flapping at 9-11 fps on my D3S. But, these are all things one gets accustomed to!

At $300, I can't think of a better photographic bargain! At about $900 original price, I remained quite happy with the toy and intent to continue to use it for macro and telephoto applications with the FT-1 and with native lenses for general photography when I prefer to travel with light gear. Now that the price has dropped, I got a second one for my wife whom I can't seem to wean from shooting on automatic settings. I think she is the person the N1 series was designed for. The camera does a really great job for those who wish to remain unthinking about technicalities and just concentrate on great image making.

As extra bonus, Nikon has taught me to wait a year before buying a consumer camera!
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada
http://www.pbase.com/emueller

#11 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:17

As extra bonus, Nikon has taught me to wait a year before buying a consumer camera!

Amen....

Rags

#12 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 16:32

You can get a NEX system for the same price and print 2X-3X as large. Also, blazing fast autofocus, as pointed out by this "reviewer", turns me off to everything else he says about the camera.

How could it not have blazing fast autofocus when the sensor is that size?

That's not to say 1 system doesn't have its virtues, but if you were a fine art photographer, looking to document a series like this, NEX is about the same size, just as fast, the same price, and affords you image quality to print bigger than a 4*6.

Everyone here already knows this, so I don't mean to sound pedantic, but an articulating viewfinder that is superior to Nikon1 is also more suited to my particular style.

Those photos are great btw, thanks for sharing.

#13 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 06 December 2012 - 19:56

NEX is about the same size

Until you put lenses on a camera. And cameras really need lenses. I find this aspect of size often overlooked when the CX mount is discussed. Just like the articulating viewfinder, this might or might not be a big deal depending on your needs and style of photography.

In the end it really comes down to how one intends to use the camera. "One" has some shortcomings but if those are irrelevant it's a great system. Same statement applies to pretty much anything else on the market.
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#14 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,626 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 06 December 2012 - 22:50

How could it not have blazing fast autofocus when the sensor is that size?

No other small sensor camera has such fast autofocus. The V1 is comparable to a high level DSLR in this respect.
  • yunfat likes this

#15 gerhard2006

gerhard2006

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:07

Here's an excellent review of the V1 with the 10 mm 2.8 pancake lens. As a sleuth-type street or beach camera, it's fun to take people pix with the camera on it's electronic shutter as he mentions. He also compares it to other cameras he's owned and sold. It's a good read if you are interested in this camera which currently sells for 299 USD. Enjoy
http://nikonrumors.c...spx/#more-49710

OK, it wasn't a technical review but he did compare it with other cameras that he has owned and so I hoped that some of you would chime in with your experiences ....which is what actually happened. Especially because of all the bad press this camera got is why I started this thread, because until you own one you really don't really know how much fun it can be. So here is an in depth review and the reasons for his choice as well...http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?+-cid=7-11666-11988.....enjoy and thanks for all those who did chime in with their experiences, it's was much appreciated. Regards, Gerry

#16 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:14

Until you put lenses on a camera. And cameras really need lenses.

You can use adapted lenses that are truly tiny, and the pancake zoom is something pretty unique, although not optically stellar.

I can find no fault with the 16mm pancake either, but wide open it is a little soft.

#17 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 11 December 2012 - 17:17

One of the reasons why I bought a Nikon V1 and an FT-1 is the ability of this combo to use Nikkor AF-S DX/FX lenses while maintaining compatibility with electronic aperture, autofocus (albeit a single center point only) and VR. With this combo, I will have a full panoply of lenses that I can immediately use with the V1. The fact that it shares the same battery and charger as my D7000 and D800E is a welcome bonus.

For some, the NEX is seen as offering a limited lens option. But I have never been bothered with this as I also use my Nikkor lenses on adapter with my NEX. Manual focus on the NEX is easy and fast with its superior live view, peaking and articulating screen or EVF.

I mainly use my NEXs with the Sony-Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 and the Zeiss F-mount 100mm f/2.0. The lens choice for the NEX will be better by next year when Zeiss will release several new AF E-mount lenses for the NEX. Particularly attractive is a 12mm f/2.8 prime lens. A new active adapter is expected to become available next year that will essentially allow the use of Nikkor AF-S lenses on the NEX. It will support electronic setting of the aperture and will also allow autofocus although this is expected to be slow. What remains to be seen is whether it will support VR.

#18 PedroS

PedroS

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 11 December 2012 - 17:24

It speaks well of the camera, but better yet of the photographer. And B&W helped. I would have liked to see some color shots.

Yep, great stuff, but, is it only me or lots of photos don't have the horizon horizontal...
Is this an aspect not anymore overlooked?
Thanks
PedroS

www.pedrosfotografia.com

#19 gerhard2006

gerhard2006

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:38

Yep, great stuff, but, is it only me or lots of photos don't have the horizon horizontal...
Is this an aspect not anymore overlooked?

Pedro, it's an artsy thing, these shots were grab shots probably left that way to make them more interesting from a street and beach photographer point of view. People shots don't necessarily have to be on the level, although as a carpenter i like mine level and plumb, ha,ha.

#20 PedroS

PedroS

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:17

Pedro, it's an artsy thing, these shots were grab shots probably left that way to make them more interesting from a street and beach photographer point of view. People shots don't necessarily have to be on the level, although as a carpenter i like mine level and plumb, ha,ha.

Ah, then I should be a carpenter too.... eheheh
Art is a great excuse for lots of things, but not having, at least, the sea water leveled, is a risk to wet the floor....
Thanks
PedroS

www.pedrosfotografia.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.