#1 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,397 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 02 December 2012 - 20:48

Today I availed myself of unfamilar clear skies, my "new" D40X IR camera (actually, the old Vivek/D40X now reborn as a pure IR version), and a recently CPU-modified Nikon SE 50 mm f/1.8 to shooting along the historic Word War II Refugee Path between Norway and Sweden. As usual when clear skies arrive at wintertime, weather gets a little on the cold side. But aside from the -16 C outside, the positive effect is giving the forest a nice winter coat that enhances IR images.

Here are some of today's images. I shot concurrently with my old IR workhorse, the D200, and was surprised to see that output quality from the D40x was equal or better using the same filtration on both. Exposure times came out at least 1 stop faster as well. The 50/1.8 SE did hot-spot on the D200 but not on the D40x as far as I could see. Hmm. Food for thought.

_NG_IR_Snow_Forest_B1212024945.jpg

When lakes freeze over, you can get the weirdest pattern at the surface. Here is an example with D40X and the 200/3.5 ED-IF.

_NG_IR_Frozen_lake_B1212024950.jpg

The actual border between Norway and Sweden, 70 years ago swarming with heavily armed German soldiers, now is as laid-back peaceful as one can possibly imagine. Only the fresh trail of a migrating wolf indicates illegal passages going on, but the wolf probably is illiterate like most of his kin anyway.

(D200, 10-24)
_NG_IR_Frozen_Border_B1212026659.jpg
  • lwiley likes this
Bjørn

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 959 posts
  • LocationBrodnica

Posted 02 December 2012 - 21:55

As usual-perfect!!
The third one doesn't look like IR at all....

#3 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,397 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 02 December 2012 - 22:06

Well, snow not in sunshine does look a little dull in IR. The border sign is pale blue in visible light. Otherwise as one might expect from a snow landscape in IR at nightfall.
Bjørn

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 959 posts
  • LocationBrodnica

Posted 03 December 2012 - 16:07

Yes, my guess was blue or green sign...

#5 Krille

Krille

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 44 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 03 December 2012 - 16:18

Excuse an IR-novis!
But are the two dark trees in the foreground and the dark tree trunk part of the hotspot?

Krister

#6 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,397 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 03 December 2012 - 16:49

No. The first image has no hot spot whatsoever.

The tree or part of it in shade will be rendered very dark compared to the directly sunlit sections.

An IR hotspot appears as a circular, bright spot in the exact centre of the frame.
Bjørn

#7 Erik Lund

Erik Lund

_

• Life Member
  • 6,379 posts
  • Location_
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 03 December 2012 - 17:07

Very nice set Bjørn, the lake shot is indeed inspiring!

#8 Krille

Krille

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 44 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 03 December 2012 - 17:18

I understand!
Very nice set indeed and the lake/ice shot is particulary inspiring.

Krister

#9 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 4,769 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:26

The lake shot is the classic Bjørnesque! I wonder how D40X has survived the relentlessly heavy duties!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#10 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,397 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:11

By being ensconced in a heavy-duty "L" bracket (RRS) and also being able to communicate electronically with all his CPU-enabled lens friends ... That's all it takes to get the camera into excellent shooting spirits..

Been a bumpy ride, though, and the body has survived a lot of beating over the last few years.
Bjørn

#11 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,037 posts
  • LocationStavanger
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:30

Been looking at these images a few times now Bjørn and yep, apart from their unique Rørslett look, I am now more inspired than I've been in a long time to visit the outside world with my "new" D300(IR). So thanks for that :good:
Machina fotografica necesse est

#12 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 4,769 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:32

Bjørn, thanks for the explanation. I'm pretty sure that the RRS bracket is sturdy enough to outlive D40X!

That said, my D40 (along with my current J1) has been the most trouble-free Nikon camera I have used. Both D2H and D7000 needed to be serviced by Nikon, but neither D40 or J1 have been in that situation, ironically. None of these cameras have gone through severe weather conditions, though.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users