The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Sony 10-18mm f/4 E Lens Review in Luminous Landscape

nex sony 10-18mm sony 10-18mm f/4.0 sony wide-angle lens e-mount lens wide-angle nex sony wide-angle nex

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 26 November 2012 - 16:36

Mark Segal reviews the new 10-18mm f/4.0 wide-angle zoom for the Sony NEX and thinks the lens is a keeper.

http://www.luminous-...t_for_nex.shtml

Edited by Larry, 26 November 2012 - 16:44 .

• yunfat likes this

#2 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:22

Despite the supposed lack of lens as crippling the NEX specially in wide-angle lenses, I have never felt hobbled by it so I am rather ambivalent at the coming of this $848 Sony 10-18mm f/4 OSS lens.

Link to this lens at BH Photo here: http://www.bhphotovi...SteadyShot.html

I currently use the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 in Nikon F-mount lens on adapter with the NEX-5N and NEX-7 where I get very good results using this lens on a tripod and manual focus. To me, this Tokina lens is the hurdle that the Sony 10-18mm f/4 OSS must surpass optically for tripod/manual-focus use before I will consider it.

For handheld use, the ease with which it is possible to manual focus the Tokina lens using the EVF of the NEX-7 means that only the OSS really differentiates the Sony 10-18mm f/4 from the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. The added one-stop advantage of the Tokina lens can offset this advantage in some instances.

Edited by Larry, 26 November 2012 - 17:31 .

#3 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:47

Hmm... if I didn't have the 12-24 nikko]r, that lens is just sooo lustworthy on d3200.

I am sure sony has a winner with this one, but for me, the rokinon fisheye is the more interesting lens in this category, given the advantages of the NEX focus peaking system.

I am happy to have such a review from LL, and thanks for the experiences with the 11-16 tokina Larry, that is one nice lens I have never tried in this category.

#4 mnscott

mnscott

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 435 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Minnesota

Posted 23 December 2012 - 16:00

I picked up a Sony SEL 10-18, shortly before going to Las Vegas on a holiday with my wife. Very glad I did - it turned out to be a fun lens for many purposes. We were indoors a lot, thanks to rainy weather while we were there. Here are a few sample shots from the 10-18 on a NEX-7 body.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by mnscott, 28 December 2012 - 14:32 .

#5 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:13

Hi Scott,

There aren't that many images from this lens online so thank you for posting the sample images.

Larry

P.S. I noted however that the first image is from the Sony 18-55mm zoom.

#6 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationTokyo
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:38

The initial couple of lenses (18-55 kit zoom, 16/2.8 pancake as well as 30/3.5 macro) are all miserable performers, according to photozone.de, but the recent lenses seem to offer vastly improved image quality. 10-18 seems to be a good example.

Edited by Akira, 28 December 2012 - 12:38 .

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#7 mnscott

mnscott

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 435 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 14:41

Hi Scott,

There aren't that many images from this lens online so thank you for posting the sample images.

Larry

P.S. I noted however that the first image is from the Sony 18-55mm zoom.

Oops - you're right, Larry. I've removed that one from the 18-55mm. Here's an actual 10-18mm from the same trip to Las Vegas. This was wide open, and is an in-camera HDR, so OOC JPEG output.

Posted Image
  • Larry likes this

#8 mnscott

mnscott

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 435 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 14:51

The initial couple of lenses (18-55 kit zoom, 16/2.8 pancake as well as 30/3.5 macro) are all miserable performers, according to photozone.de, but the recent lenses seem to offer vastly improved image quality. 10-18 seems to be a good example.

I'd agree with photozone.de on the 16/2.8. I had one, it was never really useable IMO. Haven't owned or used a 30/3.5 macro, so can't speak to that one. I have owned three copies of the 18-55 kit lens however, one with each NEX camera I've owned. All three copies I've had were quite good, especially given the price. Certainly compared to other kit lenses I've owned, the 18-55's have all been at least as good, and better than some.

The 10-18 does so far seem to be better in some respects than the kit lens. I like the contrast better, specifically. Also, the constant max aperture is very nice to have. From a sharpness standpoint, I'd say it's much closer between them (both quite good). There is a very significant price difference between the 10-18 and 18-55 of course (I think I paid $150 for my current 18-55 as part of a bundle), so it is interesting to compare the two.

#9 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 28 December 2012 - 18:07

Scott, thanks for sharing your real-world experience. I'm hoping to share my experience with the new 16-50mm/f3.5-5.6 kit zoom that came with NEX-5R.

#10 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 14:42

Scott, I like that shot using the HDR and the 10-18mm. It looks like you are having a ball with this lens. :D I am awaiting the Zeiss 12mm f/2.8 but I now now finding the 10-18mm f/4 quite interesting due to its very useful focal length, light weight and fairly compact dimensions. The F-mount Tokina 11-16mm f2/.8 on the NEX is very good but it is considerably longer and heavier after mount the adapter and the Arca rail.

Akira, looking forward to hearing from you on the 16-50mm. Currently, my native E-mount lenses are the Sigma 19mm f/2.8, Zeiss 24mm f/1.8, and Sony 50mm f/1.8 OSS. I have held off buying additional E-mount lenses such as the new Sony 35mm f/1.4 OSS for now as I am awaiting the fully electronic adapter that will allow me to AF and capture the aperture setting of my Nikkor lenses on the NEX.

Edited by Larry, 29 December 2012 - 14:51 .

#11 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:15

The NEX-5R body is sold for a little under 60,000 JPY and the predetermined price for 16-50 zoom is currently about 30,000 JPY. So, the price of around 70,000 JPY of the NEX-5R/16-50 kit is a real bargain.

My initial test suggests that the 16-50 performs way better than the 18-55. The main reason for my purchase of the kit is that the zoom starts with 16mm which I found more useful especially indoors. The focal length can be varied both by the zoom lever and the ring on the front of the lens barrel. The ring rotates very smoothly and makes the nailing of the focal length fairly easily.

One thing to note is that the 5R is more power-hungry than the 5N it replaced. According to CIPA standard, 5N offered 430 shots and 5R, only 330. The hunger is enhanced by the necessity to operate the zoom electrically. So, the ACC-VW battery/charger kit is on top of my next-to-purchase list now.

Added:

Probably for lower cost, the kit doesn't come either with a body cap or a rear lens cap. The package contained the body and lens attached together! :O

Edited by Akira, 30 December 2012 - 11:18 .

#12 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:43

Akita, thank you for the heads up on NEX-5R being less battery efficient with the 16-50mm, as well as the absence of the battery charger and caps. I will await your review of the 16-50mm.

#13 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:21

Larry, NEX-5R "alone" requires more battery power than 5N did. If you utilize its WiFi connectivity as well as the power zoom, the battery will be exhausted even faster.

FWIW, under the same CIPA standard, NEX-6 can shoot 360 shots (with LCD) and 270 shots (with EVF), which is way fewer than NEX-7 (430 and 350 shots respectively).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nex, sony 10-18mm, sony 10-18mm f/4.0, sony wide-angle lens, e-mount lens, wide-angle nex, sony wide-angle nex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.