The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo

Epson 4000?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Viperdoc

Viperdoc

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 22 November 2012 - 14:33

I have an excellent Epson 4000 with base, etc. Is it good for anything other than taking up space? I hate to throw it away, but what is it good for?

Has anyone tried a conversion to a dedicated black and white printer, and if so, how good is it compared to other newer printers?

#2 Bjørn J

Bjørn J

Happy user of Nikon photographic tools

• Life Member
  • 729 posts
  • LocationNorth Norway

Posted 22 November 2012 - 15:03

I had an Epson 4000 (now I have a 4800), and printed thousands of prints on it. It's a real workhorse and very reliable. Print quality is very good, but I see slightly more accurate colours from the 4800. But not by much - the 4000 is more than good enough for high quality prints as long as you use the correct paper profiles and let Photoshop handle colour managment.

Bjørn J

#3 pierre bez

pierre bez
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationsanta fe, nm

Posted 23 November 2012 - 16:55

I had a 4000 for seven + years. The good----great prints; the bad, needed lots of cleanings, but I could always get it to work, sometimes by doing the opposite of whatever Epson suggested. The 4900 is better, but not that much. You wd need to find a good supplier of cartridges and a local repair place for big cleanings, though most you can do through the software. Careful of your back when lifting or even moving it.

#4 Viperdoc

Viperdoc

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:07

At least last time I tried, there was a noticeable break between pure white areas and adjacent areas with the ink. I like to print on as close to what was F surface- will this work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.