FullShilling

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:08

Just a quick question.

I have been nominated to take some photo's at a wedding, no knowledge of flash(or weddings for that matter), but a bit of Interneting later I bought a second hand SB900 which seems to cover most apscects of what I might need.
Looking at the battery pack for SB900, it's bloody expensive!, I have read that the SD-8A battery pack will work with the SB900, can anybody confirm this and issues with, if any?

thank you,

Alan.
I can see what I want to say, but I can't say what I see.

#2 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 22 November 2012 - 16:27

Why don't you just use rechargeable AA batteries?

Buy a dozen so that you have three sets and always keep them charged and you should have all the power that you need.

I have SB-900 guns and that's what I use.

Edited by Ann, 22 November 2012 - 16:50 .

#3 FullShilling

FullShilling

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 November 2012 - 16:39

Ann,

I was under the impression that it recharges faster with the pack and also lasts longer, that is, not having to change the batteries as often.

thanks,

Alan.

#4 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 22 November 2012 - 16:50

You are mainly going to be using your flash at reduced power (as a Fill light) sothe charge will remain well topped-up and even if you shoot all day, I doubt if you will even finish the second set of AAs.

Test it with AAs first and then decide if the investment in the heavy and expensive battery pack is really justified, or even needed, for your purposes. You would do better if you spent the money on a second SB-900 instead.

#5 FullShilling

FullShilling

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 November 2012 - 17:02

Ann,

as you say, I am expecting just to use as fill flash, will take a box of spare batteries with and see how that goes.
I have no intention of doing this for a living, it was my Niece who saw my Wildlife shots and decided that I'm also a wedding photographer :D.

thanks for your input, you just might have saved me £100.

Alan.

#6 helioer

helioer

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 677 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 22 November 2012 - 19:46

I fully agree with you Ann. I have a SD-8A with my SB-800's but I have used only a couple of times. I have several packs of Eneloops and that is the proper approach for this problem. One set will give couple hundred fill flash photos and the self discharge rate is low so the spare packs in the camera bag are always usable.

Erkki

D3s, D3, D200, D70
FX: Nikon 14-24/2.8G, 24-70/2.8G, 28/1.8G, 70-200/2.8G VR, 300/2.8G VR, 60/2.8D+105/2.8D micro, 85/1.4D, 16/2.8D, 50/1.4G, 500/8 reflex C, Sigma 8/3.5 EX, 12-24 EX, 150/2.8 OS EX...
TC: TC-14 E II, TC-17 E II, TC-20 E III
DX: 10.5/2.8, 18-70, 18-200
4*SB800's, R1C1 kit with 3*SB-R200, YN-622 kit (TX+4*RC)...

#7 PedroS

PedroS

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 23 November 2012 - 14:25

Let's sort in favour of the SD packs...
Of course the new(?) NiMH batteries are more than enough to power our SBs, but a power pack enables much faster reloading.
I use a lot the packs on action photography that could be the case in weddings :D

Alan, just be aware that the SD are different in number of batteries. The SD-9 uses 8, instead of 6 in the SD-8a. That could make a real difference.
You can find third-party replacements cheap on ebay. Be aware that the majority doesn't allow the SB to wake up when on stand by.

Also with the SD the SB-900 is more prone to heat, and heat they like so much...
Thanks
PedroS

www.pedrosfotografia.com

#8 PedroS

PedroS

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 23 November 2012 - 14:52

other options could be considered:
http://www.foto-wals...en/ENGLISCH.htm
Thanks
PedroS

www.pedrosfotografia.com

#9 percafluvialitis

percafluvialitis

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 354 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 15:59

I have been nominated to take some photo's at a wedding, no knowledge of flash(or weddings for that matter)

Good luck, and I mean it - I shoot 40 weddings and 70 wedding couples per year, and couldn't pull it off every time if it weren't for small speedlights.

Looking at the battery pack for SB900, it's bloody expensive!, I have read that the SD-8A battery pack will work with the SB900, can anybody confirm this and issues with, if any?

I have lots of SB-800 and SB-900 units, and the original Nikon SD-8 and SD-9 battery packs for them.

I just tested the SD-8 battery pack on an SB-900 unit and it had no impact whatsoever on the recycling speed of the SB-900. Plugged in an SD-9 to the SB-900 I got the same "near strobe" recycle frequency that I am used to.

Expensive is an abstract word. How much is catching the bridal bouquet in mid-flight worth vs. the price of a battery pack? Every chain is as strong as its weakest link and personally I wouldn't include anything that would technically speaking prevent me from getting the shot. Too slow recycling speeds will mean lost moments, and weddings are full of moments gone in 1 second.

Most weddings are celebrated indoors in spaces with crap tungsten lighting, and f/2.8 ISO 3200 to 6400 with 1/2 fill flash bounced from the ceiling or wall is the standard for achieving an exposure which balances the ambient light, but makes skin tones look natural and freezes action.

Edited by percafluvialitis, 25 November 2012 - 20:16 .

Vilhelm

#10 FullShilling

FullShilling

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 November 2012 - 16:13

@Pedro, thanks for the link will take a look.

Expensive is an abstract word. How much is catching the bridal bouquet in mid-flight worth vs. the price of a battery pack? Every chain is as strong as its weakest link and personally I wouldn't include anything that would technically speaking prevent me from getting the shot.

As far as I am concerned, this is a one off, also I'm not getting paid for it.
I only bought the flash(used) because it might come in usefull with some of my wildlife shots, forking out another two hundred pounds is out of the question , I just don't have that kind of budget.

"Most weddings are celebrated indoors in spaces with crap tungsten lighting, and f/2.8 ISO 3200 to 6400 with 1/2 fill flash bounced from the ceiling or wall is the standard for achieving an exposure which balances the ambient light, but makes skin tones look natural and freezes action."

This I will bear in mind.

Thank you all for your input.

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.