Scythanith

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 119 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 21 November 2012 - 23:56

Hello All,

I recently did a morning shoot for a start up designer that was looking for some fun portrait shots, as well as some more artistic architectural shots with her in them. Here is a brief example. My main question is do you feel that the "high-key" b&w is overdone? I intentionally lit her from a bright window, but used the histogram to ensure I didn't blow out the highlights. I know many people will feel this is overdone, but I feel justified since I still see the outline of her face against the back lighting. Also, do you feel the framing in the bridge shots is proper, or do you have suggestions on a better way to go about it? Thanks for your c&c!

You can find a couple more shots on my blog if you're interested.

http://blog.lithicimages.com

Cheers,
Scott

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Shac

Shac

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 865 posts
  • LocationWhite Rock, BC

Posted 22 November 2012 - 00:44

Scott - for my tastes yes the the high key doesn't work b/c the right side of her face disappears into the window (?) behind - i.e. there's not enough separation.
I like # 2 - colours complement well

#3 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,756 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:33

She looks a bit apprehensive in that first shot.

Win a thinkTank Retrospective 30 camera bag just by making a post to Fotozones this week! 

Please support Fotozones by purchasing your gear from our website advertisers wherever possible. 

#4 Scythanith

Scythanith

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 119 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK

Posted 22 November 2012 - 17:09

I don't doubt it! The start of the shoot consisted of "I don't take very good pictures" and "I'm not a super model". So it took a little convincing and reassurance that she was doing great. I'd show here every 10th image and say "see, you look amazing". Once I had a smile on her face I'd start again.

#5 Scythanith

Scythanith

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 119 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK

Posted 22 November 2012 - 21:10

So I pulled back the exposure a bit, and I agree with you Shac, it doesn't really fit into a high-key style. I like the image in it's own rights, just it shouldn't be described as high-key. There is too much detail remaining in her face, while maintaining a proper exposure. I would have need a stronger light on the the left side of her face to smooth everything out.

Thanks for you help!
Scott

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: high-key, b&w, portrait, architecture

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users