The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo

Best Size Prints for a Gallery Show

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Erlewine

Michael Erlewine

Michael Erlewine

• Life Member
  • 2,971 posts
  • LocationBig Rapids, MI USA
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 16 November 2012 - 20:45

I may be doing a show of some of my macro photos. These are large images, shot with the D800E for the most part.

Last year I did a show of rock-concert posters, matted and framed and it was just too time-consuming and expensive to mat, frame, etc all that work.

For these photos I am considering just putting them on foam core or gator boards, but I have some questions. They will neither be matted or framed, but just large images on board.

What is the optimum size for gallery display of nature photos?

Is it best to use matte prints or glossy or what?

What about hanging these on the wall? They are light.

Also, any web-based provider of taking the digital files and sending me mounted photos that do a good job?

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Michael

Edited by Michael Erlewine, 16 November 2012 - 20:48 .

Founder of MacroStop.com, the All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, All-Game Guide, ClassicPosters.com, SpiritGrooves.net, and other sites.

#2 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:18

I would recommend putting a white border around the shots (1/4" three edges 3/4" on bottom); the bottom leaves room to sign in case someone wants it. That was recommended by an old dog and it looks good (to me)

Today I tried a torn edge on a couple of shots, just trying something different
Posted Image

#3 afx

afx

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,419 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:03

Optimum size depends on a lot of factors:
Best for high impact display or best for sell-able size?
As the D800 delivers a lot of detail, I would go big (A1 or so). But If you want to sell, then the speet spot for selling is probably a smaller size (A3).

For foamcore there are little metal thingies that can be pressed into the foam that provide hooks. One is sufficient for a 5mm thick A3 print. Using thicker foamcore and larger sizes will just need more of them.

Definitely leave a white border, it looks more classy.

Matte or glossy is a matter of taste. Have some samples printed and then decide. As your colors are not so intense, matte might work well. But you really have to experiment there me thinks. I had quite a few surprises in that area that proved my preconceptions wrong.

If you do not frame them, make sure they get coated with a protective spray (Hahnemühle and others provide it). It will not change the look of the image but protect against UV and make the images less sensitive to handling.

I have not used US print services, so I don't have any first hand experience.
I heard WHCC and bayphoto mentioned in positive tones and they seem to offer what you are looking for: http://www.whcc.com/...splays/standout or http://www.bayphoto....hing/gatorfoam/

@Rags: Torn edges on flower macros? Hmm....

cheers
afx
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
My latest book: The AfterShot Survival Guide  
sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad  Still no clue how to take decent pictures though, see afximages.com ;-(

#4 Michael Erlewine

Michael Erlewine

Michael Erlewine

• Life Member
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:08

I don't care about selling them, and just want impact. What sizes do folks suggest for impact, in general?

Thanks for the information everyone.

Founder of MacroStop.com, the All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, All-Game Guide, ClassicPosters.com, SpiritGrooves.net, and other sites.

#5 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,622 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:20

For impact: 44"x8'. Hard to beat. Impractical, yes, but after seeing something well printed that size, everything else looks like postage stamps. :) For an immersive experience, there is no substitute for resolution and size, just as it has always been.

Depending on the size of the walls they're going on, I generally print my non-pano shots to either 24"x17", or 24"x36", however. I reckon the D800E will easily handle the larger of these two with aplomb, so it will boil down to the wall size and the framing method (stretched canvas allows bigger images than paper prints with mat & frame, for instance)

#6 Michael Erlewine

Michael Erlewine

Michael Erlewine

• Life Member
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:33

I don't need super-huge, but I get the point.

The two smaller sizes make sense. Thanks.

#7 Mexecutioner

Mexecutioner

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 1,605 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 17:25

I think the size of the space you are planning to use for showing them plays an important role too.

What do you think the average viewing distance will be? 24X36" should be big enough for impact, but a bit too big for tiny spaces if people don't have some room to step back.

#8 Warrenvon

Warrenvon
  • Life Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 November 2013 - 16:18

If you decide not to use a white border, then you may want to investigate the use of a black foam board. This provides a very nice edge treatment rather than the white. It can set your work off and separate it from the wall color which most likely will be a neutral white tone. 

As for size, Mexecutioner has it right. depends on viewing distance and wall space not to mention printing cost and print reuse after the show!

#9 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 14 November 2013 - 16:50

If you decide not to use a white border, then you may want to investigate the use of a black foam board. This provides a very nice edge treatment rather than the white. It can set your work off and separate it from the wall color which most likely will be a neutral white tone. 

As for size, Mexecutioner has it right. depends on viewing distance and wall space not to mention printing cost and print reuse after the show!

Warrenvon; M. Erlewine is no longer participating in discussions on Nikongear.

Machina fotografica necesse est

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.