The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

New life for a 300/4 AF

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,072 posts
  • LocationLille
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 11 November 2012 - 14:50

Using the Novoflex adapter. The lens is good, but not extraordinarily so (the AFS version is better). However the in-camera stabilizer increases its usability as a "de facto 600mm". Manual focus is made a bit tricky by the short throw and lack of resistance of the ring. One has to get used to focussing it with one finger, the others firlmy holding the barrel. Since the magnified EVF view is not stabilized, focussing precisely takes time. Slight misfocus is sufficient to lose the advantage of stopping down (one of the pics below has been selected, with f/4 resulting in a better picture than the f/8 version just because of a slight focus inaccuracy). Globally I get a very good 600mm equivalent that can be handheld.

(all pics up to 2000 pixel along the biggest edge, except the details which are 100% crops)

An artificial duck, f/4 and 1/640s, 200 ISO:

Canard-110321.jpg

Detail :

Canard, detail-110321.jpg

Detail of the same, but f/5.6 ; the contrast is already better:

Canard, detail-110322.jpg

Highway signs, 1/1000s, f/4, ISO 200. Contrast enhanced in order to compensate for the significant haze (weather was deteriorating quickly)

Periph-110323.jpg

Detail of the same (all ar @ f/4)

Periph, detail-110323.jpg

A station platform 1/320, ISO 200, probably f/5.6:

quai-110329.jpg

and the paparazzo's display :

quai, detail-110329.jpg

Edited by Airy, 11 November 2012 - 15:59 .

#2 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,072 posts
  • LocationLille

Posted 11 November 2012 - 15:55

and finally, an insulator, about 4m away ; 1/250s, 200 ISO, probably f/5.6

isolateur-110334.jpg

detail

Isolateur, detail-110334.jpg

#3 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,171 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 13 November 2012 - 16:25

You are having a lot of fun with that OMD, Airy!

I will hopefully get to shoot mine again tomorrow. I haven't been doing much apart from writing since I got back from safari.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#4 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,072 posts
  • LocationLille

Posted 13 November 2012 - 21:56

Indeed. I am also starting to appreciate the FD 50/1.4. Seems to do a very good job for portraits around f/2.5, but f/1.4 is quite usable despite LoCA and slight haze, not so apparent when there is no backlight.

Edited by Airy, 15 November 2012 - 09:57 .

#5 Hampus

Hampus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 14:52

Since the magnified EVF view is not stabilized

You can have it stabilized if you like. In the settings menu D, set "LV closeup mode" to "mode 2".

/Hampus
http://nikongear.com...?topic=1469.100

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

#6 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,072 posts
  • LocationLille

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:21

And I like it ! thanks for the tip.

#7 Hampus

Hampus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:57

And I like it ! thanks for the tip.

No problem :)

I find that they both have their uses. When I shoot with a tele i like to use mode 2 and have the magnified view stabilized. When I do street photography I use an old Nikon 24mm f/2.8 a lot, and I like to use mode 1. That way I can magnify, focus and be out of the magnified view again by just pushing the shutter button, recompose and snap, which means a lot less fiddling around with buttons. Finding that little Fn button that is mapped to magnifying while in a hurry to recompose, expose and shoot is just too much hassle.

/Hampus
http://nikongear.com...?topic=1469.100

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

#8 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,072 posts
  • LocationLille

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:03

Same conclusion on my side.

#9 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,072 posts
  • LocationLille

Posted 06 January 2013 - 21:33

I performed longer field tests with the 300AF and the 500 Reflex. The latter is barely usable; even on a monopod it would indeed "shake off" the stabilizer way too easily. The 300 seems to be the limit for usefulness and comfort, but using a monopod is nearly mandatory, in which case the stabilizer becomes extremely effective (down to 1/25s or even 1/13s). Good results are also possible with one's back or shoulder resting somewhere.

For that purpose, I have chosen a Velbon Ultrastick M53 plus ball head QHD-41, which is a wee bit too light and flexible, but that was my best choice not to defeat the m4/3 concept. The same monopod is definitely too light for SLRs (say, D800 and a big lens).

Here's one more result with the 300AF (and some fun using Color Efex):

P1060038-Euralille 2000.jpg

Edited by Airy, 06 January 2013 - 21:57 .

#10 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,072 posts
  • LocationLille

Posted 06 January 2013 - 22:22

And a few more. Shooting with a 600mm equivalent is certainly not going to become a habit. When most subjects are within reach that does not really add value compared to, say, 180 or 200mm FL.

Crowne Plaza-1060074.jpg

Crowne Plaza-1060096.jpg

Géants-1060026.jpg

Grue-1060099.jpg

Metro LE-1060088.jpg

Novotel-1060086.jpg

Végétaux-1060102.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.