• Life Member
  • 792 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 23:25

A tropical hideaway??
1.Posted Image
D7C_8997

2.Posted Image
D7C_8999

Actually this is part of Victoria's Shipwreck Coast, named for a ship which was wrecked just outside the cove and survived by two people and a large porcelain peacock. These waters form part of the Southern Ocean.

3.Posted Image
D7C_9031

Also, some interesting geological formations, but most people tend to pay this less attention to the smaller scale geological features, focusing only on the high cliffs and coastal pinnacles.

4.Posted Image
D7C_9005

5.Posted Image
D7C_9011

And here in infra-red

6.Posted Image
DSC_1617

Edited by crowecg, 10 November 2012 - 23:31 .

• willl likes this

#2 DougB

DougB

Alive (and over 20)

• Life Member
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:08

What a beautiful place & very nicely captured!
Regards
Doug

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D700, D300; D200; F2, Lumix FZ30; and a bunch of Nikon MF & AF glass (& a Rokinon 85mm f1.4)

#3 simato73

simato73

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationBollington, Cheshire

Posted 11 November 2012 - 14:24

What a beautiful hidden place!
Is it hard to get there from the nearest civilized place?

My favourite shot is the first. It would be even better if you could do something to recover that burnt out sky. If not I would crop out the sky altogether.
Simone

#4 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

The humble little lady from Cape Town

• Moderators
  • 7,723 posts
  • LocationCape Town
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 11 November 2012 - 16:05

a real oasis. imagine the photo shoots one can do there!
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#5 olivier

olivier

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 3,010 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 11 November 2012 - 16:32

My favorite is the fifth although I don't really understand what I am seeing. I see a shot taken from space or from underder the sea level, and of course this is wrong! In any case, I love the vertigo feeling I get from it.
I think the IR could use more contrast.
Greetings from France
my blog

#6 crowecg

crowecg

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 792 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:48

What a beautiful hidden place!
Is it hard to get there from the nearest civilized place?

There is a road and a large carpark just above it - it's about 3hr drive from Melbourne or 5hr if you do the scenic route. There is a reasonable selection of small towns nearby with plenty holiday accommodation.

a real oasis. imagine the photo shoots one can do there!

I probably had the same thoughts - but because it isn't far off the road, when a bus comes in, it ends up looking like this.

Posted Image
!!!

There are a number of other wonderful looking beaches along that section of coast, but many would require abseiling down 60-100ft cliffs and hauling back up the rope afterwards. A seaward approach may be possible, but the area is renowned for rocks and shipwrecks and being the Southern Ocean can be a bit rough.

My favourite shot is the first. It would be even better if you could do something to recover that burnt out sky. If not I would crop out the sky altogether.

I did play with the highlights slider a bit, but taking it far enough along to recover the clouds makes the cliffs look like a bad HDR job (or a very powerful flash). I'll have a think about cropping

My favorite is the fifth although I don't really understand what I am seeing. I see a shot taken from space or from underder the sea level, and of course this is wrong! In any case, I love the vertigo feeling I get from it.

It is looking up at the sky from below a rock overhang.

Thanks to everyone for the comments

#7 simato73

simato73

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationBollington, Cheshire

Posted 12 November 2012 - 21:00

Great place, pity that it is so frequented.
Is bathing possible?
Simone

#8 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,759 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:37

Great place, pity that it is so frequented.
Is bathing possible?

It's Australia, so anything is possible, however, survival is always questionable! :D

Really beautiful place, thanks for sharing your images and info with us.

Win a thinkTank Retrospective 30 camera bag just by making a post to Fotozones this week! 

Please support Fotozones by purchasing your gear from our website advertisers wherever possible. 

#9 crowecg

crowecg

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 792 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:53

It's Australia, so anything is possible, however, survival is always questionable! :D

Really beautiful place, thanks for sharing your images and info with us.

This is the south coast of Australia, so the water is pretty safe as far as wildlife is concerned, but can be a bit cold and rough on the ocean beaches (great surfing though).

The sign at Loch Ard said bathing "not recommended"

#10 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,327 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:40

This is the south coast of Australia, so the water is pretty safe as far as wildlife is concerned, but can be a bit cold and rough on the ocean beaches (great surfing though).

The sign at Loch Ard said bathing "not recommended"

I've seen that place with a heavy tide running and you would not want to be swimming there in those conditions. The undertow is supposed to be pretty fearsome at times and could easily take you out to sea or bash you into the cliffs depending on which way it's running. Apparently the caves can be submerged as well during king tides, though I've not seen that. The erosion on the cliffs gives a good idea of how high the water can get as well, I guess.

#11 palalaikka

palalaikka

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationOulu, Finland

Posted 19 November 2012 - 13:22

The first one is also my favourite. Looks like amazing place.

#12 armando_m

armando_m

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,882 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara

Posted 19 November 2012 - 13:42

Beautiful place

People wearing long pants and long sleeves is a sign the weather may not be inviting to go swimming
but it sure looks inviting

Regards,
Armando 

#13 crowecg

crowecg

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 792 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:34

People wearing long pants and long sleeves is a sign the weather may not be inviting to go swimming
but it sure looks inviting

They had just piled off an air conditioned bus and they also sounded like they were from somewhere a bit warmer. Temp was probably low 20's (C not F) (and air not water)

I've seen that place with a heavy tide running and you would not want to be swimming there in those conditions. The undertow is supposed to be pretty fearsome at times and could easily take you out to sea or bash you into the cliffs depending on which way it's running. Apparently the caves can be submerged as well during king tides, though I've not seen that. The erosion on the cliffs gives a good idea of how high the water can get as well, I guess.

I'd love to go back and see it in winter, with towering clouds and a brisk south-westerly wind blowing - as you say, it will be a bit less tempting for swimming, but could be equally photogenic!

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users