#1 Chris Fabbri

Chris Fabbri

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,361 posts
  • LocationSao Paulo / Brazil

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:22

Hi guys,

A friend (Abdo) is purchasing a used lens from Japan to be delivered in US (family address in USA) - around US$ 1,500
Question is : Is there any amount limit (free of taxes) for this kind of used item importation when arriving USA or any duty will be applied to ?
How it works in USA ?

Many thanks in advance.
Chris
Best Regards,

Chris Fabbri
CFR Motorsports Media - www.chrisfabbriphoto.com/cfrmedia/
Site (All Galleries) - www.chrisfabbriphoto.com
Facebook - www.facebook.com/chrisfabbrifotografia

#2 the_traveler

the_traveler

Mr Cranky Pants

• Life Member
  • 7,132 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:32

This page http://www.cbp.gov/x...paying_duty.xml makes it look like the first $800 of worth is free and the rest gets charged at 3%.

Other discussions say they've imported by Fedex, even if insured well over $800 and paid no duty.
Lew

My latest photo oriented blog posts include "Getting to a Final Image - some words for a new photographer."

Pictures and the occasional blog posting about photography and travel at http://lewlortonphoto.com

Posted Image

#3 Abdo

Abdo

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 284 posts
  • LocationSao Paulo
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:44

Thanks Lew !!!! very good
www.abdoabdala.com

#4 makmanos

makmanos

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 972 posts
  • LocationNYC suburbs

Posted 10 November 2012 - 14:19

It looks that the info that Lew posted is relevant to merchandise that was purchased during a travel.
If you are ordering online and have goods shipped to the US, this should be more relevant:
http://www.cbp.gov/x...mportingProcess but it looks like it's quite vague as to whether you are going to be liable for any import duty. It has a link to a more comprehensive pdf document but I did not read it.
At a different site I read that Nikon lenses typically carry a 2.3% import duty but this was not on an official government page so I don't know if it's accurate. If I were to guess if you'd be paying any duty for this specific purchase I'd say probably not but I would not be betting any money either ;)

Edited by makmanos, 10 November 2012 - 14:20 .

-Manos

#5 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 10 November 2012 - 15:30

On the same page as is mentioned before:

Personal vs. Commercial Use: Many import regulations only apply to goods imported for commercial - business or resale - purposes. For instance, most goods imported for personal use are not subject to quota. The one exception to this is made-to-measure suits from Hong Kong, which are subject to quota restrictions regardless of the use they are imported for. On the other hand, import restrictions that are based on health, safety and protecting endangered species apply across the board.
Note: U.S. Customs and Border Protection is authorized to make judgment calls about what qualifies as personal use. Several suits that are identical or a number of very similar handbags will have a hard time passing the credibility test as items for personal use.
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#6 makmanos

makmanos

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 972 posts
  • LocationNYC suburbs

Posted 10 November 2012 - 16:22

On the same page as is mentioned before:

Personal vs. Commercial Use: Many import regulations only apply to goods imported for commercial - business or resale - purposes. For instance, most goods imported for personal use are not subject to quota. The one exception to this is made-to-measure suits from Hong Kong, which are subject to quota restrictions regardless of the use they are imported for. On the other hand, import restrictions that are based on health, safety and protecting endangered species apply across the board.
Note: U.S. Customs and Border Protection is authorized to make judgment calls about what qualifies as personal use. Several suits that are identical or a number of very similar handbags will have a hard time passing the credibility test as items for personal use.

Yeah I saw this but this confirms the vagueness of this page. So on one hand you have Personal and Commercial Use categories - not clearly defined but lets assume that the US Customs and Border Protection agency have a somewhat standardized way of defining those. On the other hand you have no idea what "quota" in this context is. Is it unit quota, total value quota,is there a per period quota or a combination of those and where is this defined? Don't know if that pdf document has more clearly defined rules.

Edited by makmanos, 10 November 2012 - 16:23 .

-Manos

#7 Chris Fabbri

Chris Fabbri

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,361 posts
  • LocationSao Paulo / Brazil

Posted 10 November 2012 - 20:34

Many thanks for your attention guys.
Really appreciated.
Best Regards,

Chris Fabbri
CFR Motorsports Media - www.chrisfabbriphoto.com/cfrmedia/
Site (All Galleries) - www.chrisfabbriphoto.com
Facebook - www.facebook.com/chrisfabbrifotografia

#8 Abdo

Abdo

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 284 posts
  • LocationSao Paulo

Posted 10 November 2012 - 20:41

Thank you for the information.

How I bought a used product and a physical person, I believe it is difficult to pay a fee.

But they also charge 3% paid smiling .... lol you have no idea how Brazil .... 100% or more
www.abdoabdala.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.