The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

MB-D10 - how does one use EC

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 the_traveler

the_traveler

Mr Cranky Pants

• Life Member
  • 7,132 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 29 October 2012 - 15:43

I'm thinking of getting this grip to facilitate portrait aspect work in the street and for events but I use EC button a lot.

How does one manage EC while holding the auxiliary grip?

TIA,

Lew
Lew

My latest photo oriented blog posts include "Getting to a Final Image - some words for a new photographer."

Pictures and the occasional blog posting about photography and travel at http://lewlortonphoto.com

Posted Image

#2 DougB

DougB

Alive (and over 20)

• Life Member
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:27

Hi Lew
Having just bought this grip on the weekend, I am NOT the expert to answer this but - do you not set EC prior to shooting - then take the shot(s) and then change EC if you need to??

I have to admit that just playing with this one the weekend, I do NOT see the benefit of having the grip giving you a more comfortable hold on the camera when shooting portrait.
Regards
Doug

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D700, D300; D200; F2, Lumix FZ30; and a bunch of Nikon MF & AF glass (& a Rokinon 85mm f1.4)

#3 Millirehm

Millirehm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationVienna Austria

Posted 29 October 2012 - 17:02

Well I am D700 and MB-D10 user but blind right now. What are you guys using the acronym EC for? Sorry for asking
Wolfgang

#4 the_traveler

the_traveler

Mr Cranky Pants

• Life Member
  • 7,132 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 17:31

Exposure Compensation

Hi Lew
Having just bought this grip on the weekend, I am NOT the expert to answer this but - do you not set EC prior to shooting - then take the shot(s) and then change EC if you need to??

Well, in walking around I often change the EC between every shot so I am interested to know, in Aperture preferred, if the main thumb wheel will change the transient EC just as it does on the camera body.
Lew

My latest photo oriented blog posts include "Getting to a Final Image - some words for a new photographer."

Pictures and the occasional blog posting about photography and travel at http://lewlortonphoto.com

Posted Image

#5 DougB

DougB

Alive (and over 20)

• Life Member
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 29 October 2012 - 17:41

I'll try it tonight Lew & post tomorrow
Regards
Doug

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D700, D300; D200; F2, Lumix FZ30; and a bunch of Nikon MF & AF glass (& a Rokinon 85mm f1.4)

#6 hillsidekim

hillsidekim

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationHillside, Illinois U.S.A.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 18:11

Don't know if this would help Lew, but here is a link to the users manual. http://www.nikonusa....Pack/MB-D10.pdf

I should have looked through it first, as I see it doesn't help at all.

Edited by hillsidekim, 29 October 2012 - 18:15 .

Kim
Western burbs of Chicago

#7 afx

afx

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,420 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 29 October 2012 - 18:30

Well, in walking around I often change the EC between every shot so I am interested to know, in Aperture preferred, if the main thumb wheel will change the transient EC just as it does on the camera body.

Yes, when you have easy exposure compensation activated in the preferences. Just tried it on my D700.

cheers
afx
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
My latest book: The AfterShot Survival Guide  
sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad  Still no clue how to take decent pictures though, see afximages.com ;-(

#8 DougB

DougB

Alive (and over 20)

• Life Member
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 29 October 2012 - 18:42

Well I am D700 and MB-D10 user but blind right now. What are you guys using the acronym EC for? Sorry for asking

sorry - that would be EXPOSURE COMPENSATION
Regards
Doug

#9 the_traveler

the_traveler

Mr Cranky Pants

• Life Member
  • 7,132 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 18:47

Thanks for the help.
May buy one as a present for myself.
Lew

Posted Image

#10 Millirehm

Millirehm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationVienna Austria

Posted 29 October 2012 - 19:18

Hi Lew and Doug
I knew that the solution will be easy, but right in the moment I did not get it. thanks for the clarification . and the question has been answered already. I am using exposure compensation a lot, but strangely enough never in portrait format by using the MB-D10 wheel.
Wolfgang

#11 the_traveler

the_traveler

Mr Cranky Pants

• Life Member
  • 7,132 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 05 November 2012 - 21:19

bought, got a great deal.
$75 shipped minus em-el3 tray which I just ordered for $28 so a well-functioning grip for $103.
I'm happy and content.

Well, not content.

Does this make me a pro?
Lew

Posted Image

#12 Millirehm

Millirehm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationVienna Austria

Posted 05 November 2012 - 22:49

Now then Lew, spend another few bucks and add an EN-EL4 plus the adapter and experience 8fps, then you are at least stage one of the pro scale that goes
1. a pro
2. a true pro
3. a full pro
;-)
Wolfgang

#13 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 06 November 2012 - 17:06

Lew, I have two MB-D10 for use with my D300 and D700. I have both MB-D10's shutter release button accurized so this would feel the same way as my shutter release button in the D300 and D700. Out of the box, the shutter release button was awful. I am not sure whether the MB-D10 you have is improved in this regard but if it is not, then you have this option to consider.

I have since replaced the D300 with a 2nd D700 so was able to use the 2 x MB-D10. But I am again back to a single D700 as I replaced the 2nd D700 with a D3s. I like that the MB-D10 has a multi-controller when shooting vertically which the D3s does not have (the D4 now has this). But having the same EN-EL4a battery for the MB-D10 and the D3s has been very convenient as I can now bring only one charger and if need be, swap batteries to the unit where it is most needed. As you likely know, you can get 8fps with the D700 when you use the EN-EL4a or 8 x AAA on the MB-D10.

Edited by Larry, 06 November 2012 - 17:09 .

#14 the_traveler

the_traveler

Mr Cranky Pants

• Life Member
  • 7,132 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 06 November 2012 - 17:16

Larry,

My goal is to eventually get a D3s (or a D4) and have the same setup as you describe.
I haven't had a chance to actually use mine 'in the field' but look forward to it.

Lew
Lew

Posted Image

#15 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 06 November 2012 - 17:21

I'm happy and content.

Well, not content.

Does this make me a pro?

Does being not content constitute being a pro? :crazy:
  • the_traveler likes this
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.