#41 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 26 October 2012 - 22:51

Damn. That be some fugly shit.

I don't think I understand the idea of trying to make these small cameras look like DSLR's when they don't have to. Even the OM-D, as small as it is, doesn't need to look like a DSLR. If you want a DSLR why not just get one?

I think the camera manufacturers are in cahoots with the camera bag designers. They keep trying to design cameras that require a new bag every time. :)

It's just marketing. DSLRs are regarded as the kings, so the manufacturers try to get some of the kudos to stick to their non DSLR products. The stupidity of the DSLM tag of the new Panasonic is one example, the pointless form factor of the OM-D is another. At least the first is only a name, not a design conceit.

#42 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 16:57

For those that didn't like the picture review in the EVF; there is a menu choice for on/off (as seen on a vid)

http://www.imaging-r...th-the-nikon-v2 @ 2.22 min

Rags
  • Bart Willems likes this

#43 Bjørn J

Bjørn J

Happy user of Nikon photographic tools

• Life Member
  • 729 posts
  • LocationNorth Norway
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 27 October 2012 - 18:37

Maybe Nikon actually have listened to the V1-users, and fixed the many of the complaints they received.
I will order the V2 as soon as it is available - it seems to be an exciting camera.

Bjørn J

#44 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 27 October 2012 - 18:41

For those that didn't like the picture review in the EVF; there is a menu choice for on/off (as seen on a vid)

(Around 2:20)

A few things are quite fascinating about the V2. For instance, a lot of the shortcomings of the V1 have been addressed. But that raises a new question: why did Nikon put the V1 on the market the way it was? Did they not test it with real photographers? The addressed shortcoming were things you'd come with after using it for a single day, after all. Did they decide to ignore the feedback of their test drivers? Did they make the V1 a lame duck on purpose, trusting the early adopters to buy the V2 and boosting sales that way?

And while the way it looks doesn't affect image quality, you have to wonder what motivated the design team to switch from the simple clean lines of the V1 to... this? To make it an inconspicuous looking street photography camera? But why not sell a pink version in that case?

Edited by Bart Willems, 27 October 2012 - 18:41 .

Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#45 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:33

(Around 2:20)

A few things are quite fascinating about the V2. For instance, a lot of the shortcomings of the V1 have been addressed. But that raises a new question: why did Nikon put the V1 on the market the way it was? Did they not test it with real photographers? The addressed shortcoming were things you'd come with after using it for a single day, after all. Did they decide to ignore the feedback of their test drivers? Did they make the V1 a lame duck on purpose, trusting the early adopters to buy the V2 and boosting sales that way?

And while the way it looks doesn't affect image quality, you have to wonder what motivated the design team to switch from the simple clean lines of the V1 to... this? To make it an inconspicuous looking street photography camera? But why not sell a pink version in that case?

I'm guessing the bottom line was affected by the floods and the small group developing this cam was taking real long (4 yrs). Further they might be addressing the dslr folks with the form.

And they might come out with a pink ;) ; they must be selling them somewhere????

Rags

#46 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 28 October 2012 - 13:22

Maybe Nikon actually have listened to the V1-users, and fixed the many of the complaints they received.
I will order the V2 as soon as it is available - it seems to be an exciting camera.

I wish Nikon also added an articulating screen to the V2. Nonetheless, the V2 is significantly better so I will likely add a V2 sometime next year. I currently have my eyes set on the Panasonic GH3 primarily for video and as a a DX body alternative. When the price of the V2 drops, I will likely pick one up together with an FT-1.

#47 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 28 October 2012 - 14:23

I wish Nikon also added an articulating screen to the V2. Nonetheless, the V2 is significantly better so I will likely add a V2 sometime next year. I currently have my eyes set on the Panasonic GH3 primarily for video and as a a DX body alternative. When the price of the V2 drops, I will likely pick one up together with an FT-1.

The articulated screen is saved for V3, toghether with pretty looks and a pink version :) But you're spot on about the price drop.

Nikon might have shot themselves in the foot with the ridiculous price drop (to, quite frankly, a more reasonable level) of the V1. Given what I paid for my V1, I might get an upgrade to a V2 only once it drops to $400 like the V1 did. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who looks at it that way. Initial V2 sales might disappoint Nikon if they're counting on V1 owners to upgrade.
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#48 Millirehm

Millirehm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationVienna Austria

Posted 28 October 2012 - 18:35

I was an early adopter of the 1V1, and it was disappointig in most respect I have expected. So I will be very careful with that 1V2, as it does not seem to fulfill the expectations I was having when the V1 came out. (OK they have seemed to resolve the annpying "mode- wheel" issue.
1V1 is good for crop factor and for silent operations only.
AF is shit with F-Lenses, 60fps burst do not work with MF lenses (i see no reason for that), and the main advantage of a high speed camera would be that the camera really enables you to get exactly the moment you want by saving images before and after you press the button - and lets you choose which one to take. Nikon invented this ridiculous best-shot selector instead - it does not work via FT-Adapter anyway. Does not seem the 1V2 will bring a satisfactory solution.

Yes the 1V1 is ugly and the 1V2 is very ugly. Thats not the main issue, but good design does not hurt. Remember when Nikon introduced Giugiaro Design in the F4 and subsequent products. When I compare my SB25 and the newer SB800 I see a clear step back when it comes to that.
Wolfgang

#49 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 19:29

I too was an early adopter. I too was underwhelmed and disappointed.

I'll wait for at least a year to adopt a V2, but I'll pass if Nik comes out with a D300 equivalent cam with EVF silent shutter

Rags

Edited by Rags, 28 October 2012 - 23:15 .

#50 Millirehm

Millirehm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationVienna Austria

Posted 28 October 2012 - 19:39

Maybe a 1V3 or V4 will finally bring the potential of a silent high speed camera with access to F-system and it's high class tele lenses to a usable point. A D310 (i.e. a new DX camera with better sensor AF and the build quality of replacing the D300 would be way more important)

BTW the CX-lenses are feeling BRRR, and there is still no macro solution. Besides using a NIkon 1 with F-Tele lenses it would have been good to use it as a compact but versatile equipment for mountain hiking. Something like a wideangle macro would be great here. In fact I honestly prefer a P300 over the 1V1 most of the time.
Wolfgang

#51 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 18:02

dpreview hands-on with the V2:

http://www.dpreview....n-with-nikon-v2

#52 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,181 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 30 October 2012 - 18:45

Ugh! The designer of that camera needs to be hauled in front of an aesthetics committee and given the tar and feathers. Even that new Hasselblad mirrorless isn't this ugly.

Support Fotozones:  

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#53 Marco Lanciani

Marco Lanciani

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 569 posts
  • LocationRoma

Posted 30 October 2012 - 19:27

Very old japanese style.
I don't even like very much how the Nikon 1 lenses look like... but for this, hopefully, there will be AF Zeiss lenses in Nikon 1 Mount.

Also, two more mistakes:
1. pop up flash - I don't like them, they are mostly useless. A small and light external flash is always better.
2. non standard hot shoe.

Edited by Marco Lanciani, 30 October 2012 - 19:43 .

Marco

#54 Bjørn J

Bjørn J

Happy user of Nikon photographic tools

• Life Member
  • 729 posts
  • LocationNorth Norway

Posted 30 October 2012 - 20:37

Very old japanese style.

Maybe that's why I like the looks of the V2 :)
Pop-up flash doesn't bother me as long as I can decide when to pop it up - and it seems easy enough to wrap some gaffa around it to stop it completely from popping...
But I agree about the hot shoe.

Bjørn J

#55 gerhard2006

gerhard2006

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:22

Ugh! The designer of that camera needs to be hauled in front of an aesthetics committee and given the tar and feathers. Even that new Hasselblad mirrorless isn't this ugly.

What makes this camera ugly???? It basically looks like a Nex 5R camera with an extra viewfinder attached, which to me would be an ugly camera. The Nex cameras from day one have been the ugliest because the lens is the full height of the body. The Panasonics' micro 4/3 camera is even worse with its little hump on the top of the camera as well as these little dime sized lens elements which just make the manufacturer look like they cheaped out on the glass.The lens on most cameras, slr or rangefinders have always been smaller than the heighth of the camera. That's the way the V2 is, it's lens is smaller than the height of the camera. How else are you going to add a viewfinder and a pop-up flash? The V2 kind of reminds me of the old Nikon F2 with a Photomic AS finder which is still a great seller to this day. With the smaller sensor, Nikon has been able to make a camera with good image quality and good size to weight ratios. The V2 now has a built in flash for fill and a provision for add-on flash as well. Ugly, well that's an opinion, but practical, it certainly is....although I like my little hump back V1 better.

#56 Millirehm

Millirehm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationVienna Austria

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:44

If the inner qualities shine I accept the camera being ugly, on the other hand good design does not hurt. And ergonomic construction is also a matter of design with more practical relevance than pure aesthetics considerations

Edited by Millirehm, 05 November 2012 - 18:44 .

Wolfgang

#57 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 20:20

A report of the EVF switch on/off and consumer experience of V2

http://forums.dprevi...s/post/50273883

Rags

#58 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,280 posts
  • LocationTokyo
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:23

A review of V2 has just been posted on Impress Digicam Watch:
http://dc.watch.impr...114_572699.html

As Rags noted, you can turn the "instant preview" function off V2, which can be good news. The text is all in Japanese, but you should be able to read out the name of the lenses used, f-numbers, ISO settings etc. Click thumbnail to see the original size JPEG images. I don't see any particular improvements in image quality, especially in terms of high-ISO noise.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#59 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 15:32

What would really get my attention is if Nikon makes a much improved FT-2 with multiple AF points support.

I have the impression that Nikon could have made a far better performing adapter but held back. Such a better performing adapter would likely draw more Nikon owners to get the Nikon 1 to use with their AF-S lenses.

#60 Tom Hook

Tom Hook

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 449 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 16 November 2012 - 18:11

Not every potential customer for the V2 is one-armed ...

But some are.

This week, I had bone chips removed from my shoulder, and my right hand is the only one that currently works to any effective level of usability. I guess that would place me squarely in the sweet spot for the V2.

As an alternative for one-handed photographers, one could also consider using Apple's Photo Booth which took this shot. Or not.

In lieu of picture taking, there is of course the analog pleasure of reading books.

Edited by Tom Hook, 14 December 2012 - 18:06 .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.