The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

The Nikon 1 V2

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,267 posts
  • LocationTokyo
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 24 October 2012 - 17:34

I'm almost with Sten. To me, Sony Cybershot DSC-828 is a good candidate of the interchangeable mirrorless camera of smaller format like m4/3 or 1".

Actually the moment I saw V2 for the first time, I realized what "jaw drop" meant. I wish my J1 won't become my first and last Nikon 1 camera...

Edited by Akira, 24 October 2012 - 17:35 .

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#22 simato73

simato73

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationBollington, Cheshire
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 24 October 2012 - 18:40

To me the Nikon 1 systems seemed DOA from the first day.
All that has come in the meantime has done nothing to change my initial impression.

This is the ugliest camera I've ever seen, even worse than the horrible looking Sony NEX cameras.
The fake viewfinder box on the top, with the diminutive flash, looks like a bad joke.
And don't get me started with the battery...

The last touch is the price.
Simone

#23 Bjørn J

Bjørn J

Happy user of Nikon photographic tools

• Life Member
  • 729 posts
  • LocationNorth Norway

Posted 24 October 2012 - 20:13

The V2 looks like a very interesting camera, and one of the first compact cameras I might actually enjoy using. The most important thing that makes it stand out is the speed - the achilles heel of most other compacts. And the fact that it has an almost usable viewfinder. There were much to like about the V1, and it seems the V2 has improved on much of the things people were not to happy with on the V1.
Ugly? No, not at all - I like the looks of it. There are plenty of uglier cameras around :)

Bjørn J

#24 vivionm

vivionm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg

Posted 24 October 2012 - 21:12

Oh dear. I'll keep my X Pro 1.

#25 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,267 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 24 October 2012 - 21:20

The comment on the absense of AA filter has been removed from the Japnese news I referred to, saying that they are in the process of making sure of it.

The impression of the design might change when I handle the real one, but visual impression doesn't seem to change.

D4 is built like a tank, and V2 is built like a truck.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#26 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,967 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 24 October 2012 - 21:32

I actually like the look of this camera, it may be the camera world equivalent of the venerable
Mercedes Gelandewagen, but it does have a utilitarian type of appeal. :D

As for where to put one's left hand, why not underneath the lens!

Perhaps it will surprise with it's abilities, guess we'll all have to wait and see, seems somewhat
churlish to dismiss it on looks alone :)

Tony

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

#27 Marco Lanciani

Marco Lanciani

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 569 posts
  • LocationRoma

Posted 24 October 2012 - 21:54

Might be even a good camera, we will see... but looks really horrible!
Testing customer sensibility to aesthetics with real products is dangerous... but I guess they must know what their doing, or at least I hope.
Marco

#28 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 24 October 2012 - 22:42

As for where to put one's left hand, why not underneath the lens!

Yes! Works very well with the V1. And many other cameras.

I think that the Nikon 1 series potentially has a great future, but needs careful handling. I really enjoy using the V1, there are some issues with it (easily moved mode dial, stupid instant playback in EVF), and it would be very easy for these faults to be rectified.

The V2 is not for me - one of the best things about the V1 (apart from its consumer DSLR beating speed) is that it is trivial to carry it with me all the time. The V2 cannot match this. But if the V2 helps to establish the 1 series economically, I shall be happy.

#29 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 24 October 2012 - 23:35

"As for where to put one's left hand, why not underneath the lens!"

You need better support than so. Must be able also to pick up camera with either hand without risking the lens to drop off because you activated the release button.

Basically, all these "chopped-off" designs ignore the human factor plus ignore how cameras are handled in actual use. They rely on the right hand only to do everything, which is a bad solution in terms of ergonomics.

The too-easy-to-move dial on the rear seen in the V1 also occurs on the V2. Why cannot such mistakes be rectified instead of coming up with a record-breaking design in ugliness?
Bjørn

#30 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 00:23

The big question I have is, does the EVF still have pic review? That's a deal breaker for me

Seems to me a problem with the body is it's flimsiness, if you use the ft 1+big glass. You have to hold the lens.

I fear there will be reports of someone carrying a 300 2.8 on a ft 1 with the articulated body.

I'm hoping Nik will come up with a probody with switchable EVF (w/o review)

Rags

Edited by Rags, 25 October 2012 - 00:25 .

#31 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,967 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:17

Bjorn,

I have just seen a photo of this camera in an adults hands, it is minuscule, I had no idea.

Can see now it's diminutive dimensions could really compromise it's usability, at least for those
of us with "adult" sized hands.

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

#32 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:57

I find this website very helpful and recommend it to all for comparing the sizes of different camera models: www.camerasize.com

Here is a comparo between the V2 and V1:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#392,123

Attached Images

• Nikon 1 V2 V1 Top.jpg
  • Nikon 1 V2 V1 Front.jpg

#33 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,967 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 25 October 2012 - 13:11

Thanks Larry, helpful link.

tony

#34 simato73

simato73

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationBollington, Cheshire

Posted 25 October 2012 - 15:50

The V2 looks like a very interesting camera, and one of the first compact cameras I might actually enjoy using. The most important thing that makes it stand out is the speed - the achilles heel of most other compacts. And the fact that it has an almost usable viewfinder. There were much to like about the V1, and it seems the V2 has improved on much of the things people were not to happy with on the V1.
Ugly? No, not at all - I like the looks of it. There are plenty of uglier cameras around :)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
Well, actually I think there is a certain consensus on the fact that the design looks ugly & not practical, but of course individual opinion may vary.

The only thing that made desirable the Nikon 1 system was the AF system that is better than anything non-DSLR.
Too little to overcome the numerous deal-breakers - at least for me.
Simone

#35 gerhard2006

gerhard2006

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:13

Thanks Larry, I agree that was a very helpful size comparison. There seems to be a lot of negative comments from many who don't own the camera and have never tried it out. Nowadays you can go to any camera store with an SD, or CF card and try out any camera. I did that when the V1 first came out and was quite impressed for a camera of it's size. It's speed as well as it's size of body and sensor as this is my first point and shoot. I've either used the D70 or the D300 until now. It's a shame though the camera is never viewed with the accessory grip which to me makes for a very comfortable combination. It's a very robust yet comfortable grip, cast aluminium plus rubber. Here's a couple of shots with the camera from front and top locations. I bought my grip for $79 Canadian funds which to me was reasonable and as I mentioned is a very nice combo. I will use it for Wedding photography just to show some video clips of the day, as well as the motion snapshot feature which to me is a nice add on. Regards, Gerry

Attached Images

• _DSC3351.jpg
  • _DSC3352.jpg

#36 M4cr0s

M4cr0s

Stumbling through the light

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationOslo

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:49

I don't really know what to think of the design of the "1" series, including the V2. They seem to be fairly capable cameras though. I just wish Nikon could go a little bit retro and use some classic design elements from the old manual SLRs or their rangefinders. They've got quite the herritage when you think about it! For an amateur or for personal non-critical work, a small and stylish camera has appeal, at least to me. While I know the tecnical perfection of Nikon cameras and the huge featureset, design haven't really been their thing since the F3 or arguably the F4. Purely subjectively speaking, but I don't find that modern Nikon bodies have the same kind of soul as the oldies.

Mac.

"I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this years fashions."

Lillian Hellman

#37 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:23

I am wondering if Nikon and Sony are using the same design group...
or maybe the V2 was conceived here:

Attached Images

• motorhome.jpg

Machina fotografica necesse est

#38 Bjørn J

Bjørn J

Happy user of Nikon photographic tools

• Life Member
  • 729 posts
  • LocationNorth Norway

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:58

The more information I collect about the V2, the more appealing it is for me. If I ever get the urge to buy a compact camera, the V2 will be very high up on my list.
First because of the speed. All other compacts I have tried have been way too slow, both the AF and in general operation.
And it has a reasonably good viewfinder. A camera without a viewfinder is unusable!
It also has some unique functions which I might find useful.
And I absolutely like the utilitarian look of the V2!

Bjørn J

#39 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:04

There seems to be a lot of negative comments from many who don't own the camera and have never tried it out.

I couldn't agree more! Nikon's system has actually a lot going for it (the size of camera plus lens being the biggest selling point) but Nikon came (too) late to the game and their marketing is horrible.

The V2 is a mixed bag I think. On one side Nikon seemed to have listened a lot to people like us. PASM modes on the mode dial (not that it matters that much with the given DOF), faster (electronic) shutter speed, a button layout more in line with the SLR's, a grip that is better (I'm not saying good, I'm saying better), there's a lot to like about this camera. Maybe they even addressed the issue of image replay in the viewfinder (Sony shows that is is possible to have an EVF without image replay).

On the other hand, there are a couple of design decisions that make you scratch your head. Yet another battery? Why oh why? The popup flash? At that position does it even matter? And of course the looks of the thing in general. Although it fascinates me how obsessed everyone is about it... I did not realize the importance of the looks of a camera in regards to the quality of the pictures you take with it. Show that I still have a lot to learn. :)
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#40 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,169 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Posted 26 October 2012 - 17:49

Damn. That be some fugly shit.

I don't think I understand the idea of trying to make these small cameras look like DSLR's when they don't have to. Even the OM-D, as small as it is, doesn't need to look like a DSLR. If you want a DSLR why not just get one?

I think the camera manufacturers are in cahoots with the camera bag designers. They keep trying to design cameras that require a new bag every time. :)

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.