• 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:58

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Larry, 24 October 2012 - 05:18 .

#2 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:02

Priced at $899 with a 10-30mm kit lens, $799 body-only.

The camera finally has a PSAM dial.

Resolution is now up to 14.2 mp 4608 x 3072 with a choice of image ratio: 3:2 or 16:9

ISO: 160-6400 and uses the Expeed 3A

It now supports wireless connectivity like the D600 through the Wu-1b

But is still uses a specialized hot shoe for flash
( :nono: sigh, even Sony has abandoned its proprietary hots shoe in its newly released NEX)

Battery is a new type: EN-EL21 . Battery is smaller despite grip being bigger? :tease:
( :angry: V1 owners, as well as D7000, D600 and D800 owners will not be happy :dontknow: )

Edited by Larry, 24 October 2012 - 05:32 .

#3 peroo

peroo

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 165 posts
  • LocationStavanger, Norway

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:58

I don't like that it is larger. Imaging res. says it supports AAA batteries. That could be positive, but I prefer the old battery.

More info here
http://www.imaging-r...2/nikon-v2A.HTM

Per
(V1 and D800 owner)

#4 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:10

I don't like that it is larger. Imaging res. says it supports AAA batteries. That could be positive, but I prefer the old battery.

More info here
http://www.imaging-r...2/nikon-v2A.HTM

Per
(V1 and D800 owner)

Re support for AAA batteries, did you perhaps refer to the battery in the flash rather than the V2 itself?

"New Accessories. Using AAA batteries instead of the Nikon V2's internal battery, the new SB-N7 flash has a head that tilts up 120 degrees for bounce flash, and has a guide number of 59 feet (18m) at ISO 100. The flash comes with a wide-angle flash adapter that snaps onto the front. The SB-N7 flash is expected to ship in January 2013 for US$160."

Edited by Larry, 24 October 2012 - 06:11 .

#5 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,280 posts
  • LocationTokyo
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:14

I haven't seen any info on the support of AAA batteries. The new SB-N7 flash uses two AAA batteries, though.

The only good news I have read is that the new sensor uses no AA filter.

Now I'm rather interested in the new fast primes 18.5/1.8 and 32/1.2.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#6 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:21

No anti-aliasing filter is very good.

Upcoming prime lenses is very good (as is the ability to use AF-S lenses through the FT-1).

New smaller and lower-capacity battery and the need to bring another charger is not good.

Inability to use the SB400 and SB700/800 is not good. But if the built-in flash can act as a
wireless flash commander and use the SB700/800/900 as remore flash, then I will be happy.

Edited by Larry, 24 October 2012 - 06:25 .

#7 otoien

otoien

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 883 posts
  • LocationFairbanks, Alaska
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:33

Design lines inspired by Nikonos IV-a except that the Nikonos looks somewhat nice in comparison? I guess we will get used to it...
Posted Image
(Image linked from mir.com)
Øivind

#8 Luc de Schepper

Luc de Schepper

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,839 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:24

Seems to me this version 2 of the V2 is what version 1 of the V2 should have been from the start. Still, rather expensive.

#9 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:27

With a bit of patience (and other cameras to shoot with), this will become much more affordable in Christmas 2013. :D

#10 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:00

Ergonomics obviously are no longer considered important for camera designs. The V1 was poor and this is worse.
Bjørn

#11 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,968 posts
  • LocationFredrikstad, Norway

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:07

This camera looks really ugly, and the name is stupid too: V2, like the bomb/rocket.
Bjørn T

#12 crowecg

crowecg

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 826 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:09

Design lines inspired by Nikonos IV-a except that the Nikonos looks somewhat nice in comparison? I guess we will get used to it...

(Image linked from mir.com)

For some reason, I keep thinking that the 1 series would be a good basis for a new Nikonos

#13 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:23

This is indeed what the V1 should have been although I don't like the big lump (and paying $160 for what is on a regular SLR the popup flash, power–wise?) Ugly? Who cares when it takes pictures? The layout is now a lot more like the regular Nikon DSLR's. The price is the biggest obstacle. I think that part of Nikon's targeted audience—the SLR shooters who got one (and yes I'm one of them)—are going to take the approach Larry mentioned “I will wait until the V3 is announced and this one drops 50% or more in price

It’s amazing what the One line could have been—both camera–wise and in sales figures—and what Nikon made out of it. A better proof for their horrible marketing is hard to fi.. oh wait, the past 25 years of Nikon marketing.
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#14 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:29

Not every potential customer for the V2 is one-armed ... Do note the significant difference in form factor of this camera vs a typical SLR/DSLR. While cameras do evolve, the humans who supposedly should use them do not. A good camera design always has to account for the biological fact humans usually come with two arms and thus two hands. The V2 designers have forgotten this, like the Sony engineers did with the NEX.
Bjørn

#15 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:56

Ergonomics obviously are no longer considered important for camera designs. The V1 was poor and this is worse.

Not every potential customer for the V2 is one-armed ... Do note the significant difference in form factor of this camera vs a typical SLR/DSLR. While cameras do evolve, the humans who supposedly should use them do not. A good camera design always has to account for the biological fact humans usually come with two arms and thus two hands. The V2 designers have forgotten this, like the Sony engineers did with the NEX.

The squarish grip makes holding this camera difficult but I am curious to know how you see the ergonomics as becoming worse than the V1.

Edited by Larry, 24 October 2012 - 11:00 .

#16 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:58

Even less real estate to the lefthand side of the camera.

Also to add to the practical problem, if you attempt to hold on the left side, you are likely to push in the lens release button at the same time. A truly brainless design.
Bjørn

#17 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:00

Will you be getting a sample V2 to test and try anytime soon?

#18 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:08

I might, but Nikon Nordic hadn't received sample cameras as of this morning (probably the reason none of the usual Press Launch events took place).

I won't give this top priority though. To me, the 1 Nikon series/CX format is more targeted towards video and snapshots than being a serious alternative photographic tool. Feel free to consider differently of course.
Bjørn

#19 PatrickO

PatrickO

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 584 posts
  • LocationLeeds

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:54

And we have... ...another bridge camera.

More battery chargers. That rear dial may be in the way. Will the pop-up flash clear a lens hood or leave a shadow? The bulge? Probably won't be able to grip that with motorcycle gloves. I'll just have to spend the money on good glass :dontknow:

#20 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:29

Looks like Nikon got help from the designers of the Volvo 700 series :lol:
When Nikon went astray with the design of the Coolpix 990 for instance, the only good thing about it was the fact that the grip could be positioned at the angle of your choice. I would like the grip of my DSLR's to be rotated 10-15° out at the bottom to suit the natural angle of my grip when I hold the cameras to my eye.
Machina fotografica necesse est

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.