The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Ideal bags for m43 systems?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,170 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:25

The main motivation behind me getting into m43 was to save hassle and weight when going on walks or bike rides where carrying big DSLR's and their lenses is simply not a feasible option.

Now the problem I have is that even with a very small system comprising an Olympus OM-D, Panasonic GF-1, 14-45mm, 45-175mm and 45mm lenses, none of the bags I have come close to being suitable to carry it all. They're either too big or too small and to be honest nothing I am seeing in stores appears to be suitable.

The closest thing I have seen to being remotely useful is the Lowepro Slingshot 102, but that bag looks pretty big for a m43 system to me. Ideally I would like something that looks like a messenger bag, but isn't too big or bulky.

Suggestions?

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,901 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 13:54

If I were doing what you propose I would get the small domke wraps and a tiny timbuk 2 messenger bag, or similar. I also have the Domke F-5XA, which I truly love.

#3 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,170 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Posted 22 September 2012 - 14:55

I'm thinking along the same lines, Taran.

Came across this Think Tank Retrospective 5 after doing some searching earlier, which looks exactly like the kind of bag I want... but then I saw the price. Ouch. I think I could probably have that bag custom made for less here.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#4 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,096 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey

Posted 22 September 2012 - 15:02

I've been using those flat Optech cases for small cams & lenses.
They are meant to be accessory cases and are fairly soft-sided,
but I've been using them successfully for my Pentax Q & lenses, for example.
LINK: http://optechusa.com...ssory-pack.html

These cases configure nicely with their included velcro dividers.
You could get both bodies and the three lenses into one.
I've even used one of these Optech cases for a D5100 and three Nikon DX lenses all of which are much larger.

Also, Lowepro makes some videocam bags which work very well for smaller 4/3 cams & lenses.
Look for the Lowepro Edit 140 ( 28x18x19cm) or similar slightly larger bags.
LINK: http://products.lowe...140,1941,22.htm

Andrea B.
UltravioletPhotography.com

#5 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,901 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 16:55

Gariz stuff is droolworthy. No idea what this bag is like, but the Gariz products I have had in the past were pretty dope.

#6 Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 September 2012 - 22:05

When I first got into the m4/3 system several years ago, I struggled with this same problem. I wanted to start traveling extremely light and small. I went through all kinds of bags and I finally settled on a Lowepro Photo Runner 100.. It is not perfect but it is small, lightweight and has a slim profile. And, it can actually hold more than what I carry. Unless I think I will need two camera bodies, I just carry one, but there is room left over in the bag to carry two.

I do not wear it like a fanny pack. I use it as a shoulder bag.

I carry my GX-1, a 20mm, a 14mm, and the Olympus 45mm lenses. I also carry my PinWide, my Holga, and my CTV lens- all of these are small. I also pack a small notepad, pen, business cards, a small pouch to hold memory cards, etc.
But one of the main considerations in my choosing this particular bag is that the large front pocket holds my Kindle nice and tight and snug. I do a lot of reading while riding trains, etc.

Plus, the bag is very inexpensive. It is not the perfect solution but it comes close. Still, like all photographers, I am always on the lookout for a new bag. :sungum:

Here is a link. http://www.amazon.co...hoto runner 100

#7 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,964 posts
  • LocationFredrikstad, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 22 September 2012 - 22:42

I went for a Lowepro Nowa 170 AW. It can be used for video camera as well, but will hold more than I need it too, but that's only practical.
Bjørn T

#8 floatfisher

floatfisher

• Life Member
  • 10 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 24 September 2012 - 22:25

I have a Think Tank Retrospective 5 for a Nikon1 V1 kit and I like it. It easily holds camera, lenses, flash and adapter. I also carry the 70-300 lens as a cheap long range rig for the V1 in the bag. The bag is roomy for it's size. I sometimes use it to carry my D800 with a single lens on hikes. The D800 with the 24-120mm fits well in the bag. The D800 with most prime lenses fits well too. The bag seems just a little small for the D800 and the 24-70mm. I do have an L-plate on the D800. The bag is very well made and will probably outlast me.
Floatfisher
Idaho

#9 willl

willl

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 647 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 24 September 2012 - 22:58

Believe it or not, I'm currently using a Lowepro lens pouch as a camera bag by adding a strap to it. It'll fit an Olympus 45mm f/1.8 and an Olympus e-pm 1 with Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 attached.

#10 greinert

greinert
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 18 October 2012 - 21:23

I just started using a Panasonic GF1 and I decided to use one of these, after seeing it on a blog:

http://www.adorama.c...=1point0product

So far, I really like it. I use a thin neck strap with the GF1, and this can be wrapped neatly around that strap, so the camera can be wrapped while it is being carried around.

The only drawback is that you have to stash the wrap somewhere while the camera is in use. This hasn't been a problem for me, as I can usually find a pocket or another bag to put the wrap in. In the worst case scenario, the wrap could be attached to the back of the neck strap.

#11 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,623 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 18 October 2012 - 22:28

Gariz stuff is droolworthy. No idea what this bag is like, but the Gariz products I have had in the past were pretty dope.

Even though that bag has "Please Steal Me" written all over it, on seeing that I think I'm just going to have to get one or two for my expanding Fuji outfit. That thing is how camera bags should look!

Thanks for the link.

#12 Hampus

Hampus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 22:05

I ordered one of these for yself: http://www.geographi....com/4475-sling
It hasn't got here yet so I can't comment on it.

For X-mas for my brother we got this: http://www.wotancraf.../shop/bag/scout
It's very nice. Small size but plenty of room inside and plenty of configuration options. Comes with a completely water tight interior.

/Hampus
http://nikongear.com...?topic=1469.100

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

#13 willl

willl

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 647 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 22:44

Just brought the Crumpler 5 million dollar home.
http://www.crumpler....ollar-Home.html

Yes, I could have gone smaller. But I can also reuse the bag if I want to take the d300s out with 1 lens (not including the one attached to the camera). Not bad for a messenger bag.

Mine is the previous model that I brought from the Crumpler outlet store, so was less than retail.

#14 palalaikka

palalaikka

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationOulu, Finland

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:26

How about ThinkTank belt and one of their belt pouches? I have the Think Tank belt which has no padding (can't remember the name, but you'll find it from their site) and it is very comfortable. I prefer belt with one or two belt pouches over shoulder bag.

#15 gerhard2006

gerhard2006

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 January 2013 - 21:18

I bought the Nova 160 AW from Lowepro. I carry my Nikon V1 and 4 lenses with the adapter and some accessories like a reverse adapter and a 3T close up filter. It comes with a shoulder strap as well as the option to use it as a belt pack which is nice for a hands free situation. There's some good suggestions here, I wish i had seen this last week before i bought mine. Oh well, isn't that always the case after you buy something.

#16 Eb Mueller

Eb Mueller

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationChilliwack, BC, Canada

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:25

I find the Think Tank Retrospective 5 to be very versatile for my N1 kit. Yes, pricey but picked one up on sale. It will even handle my D3s in a pinch! That's because it is not so rigid and expands as necessary. The material is quite tough, canvas like, but heavier to carry than others.
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada
http://www.pbase.com/emueller

#17 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,072 posts
  • LocationLille

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:07

The Think Tank retrospective 5 looks very much like my 25 years old camera bag, the one that hosted the Canon T90 and 3-4 lenses. The brand was Chapak.

Currently I am using a "normal" shoulder bag (Samsonite) designed for PC notebooks plus some stationery. Perfect size, unconspicuous, but storage is more or less vertical. I might re-use the old Chapak; only (relative) drawback is the same as the Think Tank, i.e. the flap might not protect sufficiently against very heavy rain.

#18 nimix

nimix

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 218 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 January 2013 - 13:19

If you like to go retro, Billingham Hadley Small or Hadley Digital are a good choice.
Personally I'm fine with the cheap ThinkTank Hubba Hubba Hiney.
It has the well known ThinkTank quality and comes with a shoulderstrap, but it is designed to use with the ThinkTank belt sytem.
So you can use it with the shoulder strap or buy an additional belt.
Whenever the bag is too small you can add other bags to the belt.
For me the Hubba Hubba Hiney is the perfect bag for a Fuji X-E1 + 3 lenses.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUYICye8llc

nimix

Edited by nimix, 06 January 2013 - 23:04 .

#19 mnscott

mnscott

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 435 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Minnesota

Posted 06 January 2013 - 15:31

I'm thinking along the same lines, Taran.

Came across this Think Tank Retrospective 5 after doing some searching earlier, which looks exactly like the kind of bag I want... but then I saw the price. Ouch. I think I could probably have that bag custom made for less here.

I have a Think Tank Retrospective 5 that I use for my Sony NEX gear. I love it. Just the right size, and very good quality. Having said that, you're right about the price. I received it as a gift from my wife, who knew I'd admired the bag when we visited a local camera store previously. Not sure I could have spent the money on it myself, but my wonderful wife solved that for me. :)

#20 Luc de Schepper

Luc de Schepper

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,837 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 06 January 2013 - 16:00

If you like to go retro, Billingham Hadley Small or Hadley Digital are a good choice.

Not only retro, but also very functional. I also value much the absence of loud velcro.
Here I am, protecting my Billingham Hadley Small as if it contains the Crown jewels ...
Posted Image

Edited by Luc de Schepper, 06 January 2013 - 17:36 .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.