#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,177 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:59

Ming has just posted his review of the new Olympus 60mm macro lens on his site.

Now I'm faced with a dilemma. I was all set to get the Panasonic Leica 45mm 2.8 at my local dealer this weekend - they have even put it aside for me pending the cost of repairing my car (and I'm getting it at less than half the normal asking price), or I could wait a while and get this 60mm from Olympus when it finally hits the stores here.

I shot briefly with the 45mm in the store and it is a nice lens, but you can't tell much about the characteristics of a lens when you're shooting at 3200/6400 ISO and hand held. I am considering getting the macro lens for doing small product shots as well as moving into food photography. The OM-D seems ideal for this when compared to the bulk of the Nikon system I have.

Support Fotozones:  

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,968 posts
  • LocationFredrikstad, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 21 September 2012 - 15:02

Told you, Dallas. Olympus macro lenses are second to none. :-)

Macro lenses was a specialty of the old OM system, there were 50/2, 50/3.5 and a 90/2 general purpose lenses going down to 1:2 magnification. In addition there were four different bellow lenses from 20 to 135 mm focal length. For these there were also a telescopic extension tube giving extension from 65-116 mm, and this tube as well as the four bellow lenses all featured automatic diaphragn and practical field use at least for the longer of the four focal lengths 20, 38, 80 and 135. So Olympus offered general purpose f/2 macro lenses twenty years before Carl Zeiss. Nikon et al. still don't make such fast macro lenses...

I seriously want the new 60/2.8!
  • Larry likes this
Bjørn T

#3 Fons Baerken

Fons Baerken

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 8,939 posts
  • LocationNederland

Posted 21 September 2012 - 16:18

i have enjoyed his site some great photography

#4 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,177 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 17:55

There's no ETA or price for this one here yet. Will probably be about R5000 if the pricing parity we have with the rest of the photographic retail world is to be adhered to (usually $1:R10), which means the Oly will cost me about R1200 more than the Pan/Leica.

I really don't know what to do.

Support Fotozones:  

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#5 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 21 September 2012 - 18:01

Dallas, if that review did not make up your mind, here is another review of this gorgeous lens .... but read it at your own risk! :D

http://robinwong.blo...cro-review.html

Edited by Larry, 21 September 2012 - 18:01 .

#6 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,177 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 19:06

Actually it was Robin's review of the PL 45mm 2.8 that got me excited about that lens. There are two things that I am not too wild about w.r.t. the Oly; the focal length of 60mm is pretty narrow for a lot of what I would need it for (I seldom use my Nikkor 105mm for this very reason), you have to buy the lens hood separately. Another, less important aspect is that there is no stabilisation on the Panasonic bodies.

I shall await Ming's comparison between the two with much anticipation.

Support Fotozones:  

#7 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,968 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 20:10

Olympus would do well to include the lens hood when they sell a lens, and some of the hoods can be quite expensive too. :angry:

I would not want stabilization in a macro lens as that would potentially compromise on the optical quality, so kudos to Olympus for avoiding that. :good:

Edit: Typo

Edited by bjornthun, 21 September 2012 - 20:12 .

Bjørn T

#8 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,177 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:46

Sometimes I need it and I'd rather have it available than not have it at all.

Ming just posted his shootout between the two m43 lemses and the Nikkor and Zeiss adapted options. 60mm is the winner in his opinion, but the PL 45 is not far behind.

Support Fotozones:  

#9 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,968 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:15

The PL 45/2.8 and the Oly 60/2.8 are really close on most aspcts, but the Oly 60/2.8 has less CA, which may turn out to be the only real practical difference between the two of them. The Oly 60/2,8 may then require less PP.
Bjørn T

#10 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,177 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:02

I have now added the PL 45mm to my small set of lenses for m43. :)

This lens is bloody sharp. So sharp that I see things on my camera screen that I don't see with the naked eye (admittedly my eyesight isn't quite what it was when I was 22...). I'll enjoy using this on safari the week after next to get some interesting little stuff when we go on walking trips. Sure beats lugging around a 105mm VR.

At the price I couldn't let this one slip through the fingers either.

Support Fotozones:  

#11 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,968 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 13:15

Congratulations! :)

I have now added the PL 45mm to my small set of lenses for m43. :)

This lens is bloody sharp. So sharp that I see things on my camera screen that I don't see with the naked eye (admittedly my eyesight isn't quite what it was when I was 22...). I'll enjoy using this on safari the week after next to get some interesting little stuff when we go on walking trips. Sure beats lugging around a 105mm VR.

At the price I couldn't let this one slip through the fingers either.

Congratulations! :good:
Bjørn T

#12 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,177 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 15:00

Thanks! I was torn about whether to get this one or the new Olympus. After Ming's comparison posted today I can't be disappointed - it's a lovely little lens and I think we will get along fine.

Support Fotozones:  

#13 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,968 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:36

Got the Olympus 60/2.8 ED Macro today! :sungum:
Bjørn T

#14 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,177 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:21

And how are you enjoying it? I used the Pana/Leica for some shots of a dung beetle yesterday. Haven't got any editing software here on the netbook, but it looks good to me.

Support Fotozones:  

#15 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,968 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 19:09

So far it's anice lens, but any serious testing has to wait until the weekend. Will look for CA, which the review said is very low. The lens gives good working distance.
Bjørn T

#16 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,968 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 17:09

More on the Olympus 60/2.8 Macro: This really is a fine lens, with great colours and sharpness. It has just a little lateral CA which is easily fixed in Lightroom. I haven't found any LoCA, so the bokeh is really nice. I use the Olympus E-P2 which is a 12 MP sensor. This is a killer lens, which since the CA is so well behaved, is for m43, what the CV 125/2.5 is for Nikon. The lens also works well for distant shots. In the CA department this lens is much better than the Zeiss 100/2 Makro-Planar, and just a tad worse than the CV125/2.5, since there is a little lateral CA. It's good that Olympus made the lens with only lateral CA, since that is easily fixed in post.
Bjørn T

#17 lenmil

lenmil

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 203 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 22:27

You guys are just going to make me poor. I used to have a lot of Olympus gear in the film days and i miss the quality of the lenses thay made. Might have to move to m/43.

Take the shot, you never know.

#18 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,968 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 00:09

You guys are just going to make me poor. I used to have a lot of Olympus gear in the film days and i miss the quality of the lenses thay made. Might have to move to m/43.

Some OM lenses can be leitaxed (i.e. have a mount change to Nikon, see leitax.com). I've letaxed the 65-116 telescopic tube, and can use the bellow lenses of the OM system on my Nikon.
Bjørn T

#19 lenmil

lenmil

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 203 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:48

Had a hold of the OMD today. Very good build quality and so small. The Mrs loved it. Might be tempted.

Take the shot, you never know.

#20 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,177 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 13:02

You know you want it! :)

Support Fotozones:  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: olympus, 60mm macro, micro four thirds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.