The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo

D600 - Questions and Answers

d600 review

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#121 boyboytse

boyboytse
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:05

Thanks a lot folks. How about removing 3D? Quote Nfoto's opinion "However, I haven't yet found the setting that turns off 3D. Must be somewhere unless Nikon really disappoints this time.
Edit: found it - same approach as on the D800 by the way. I must go do something else; my brain doesn't work anymore :(" I believed he is still frustrated by his taxation , so can any body help?

#122 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,096 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:06

AF Mode button. See pages 97-100.

Andrea B.
UltravioletPhotography.com

#123 boyboytse

boyboytse
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 14:53

As an aged beginner, have to ask further: in AF-A or AF-C mode(AF-S mode don't have the option) push the AF mode button and rotate the sub-command dial. I can choose "auto, s, d9,d21, d39,3d. Just DO NOT select 3d, is it correct?

#124 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,096 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey

Posted 06 October 2012 - 16:33

As an aged beginner, have to ask further: in AF-A or AF-C mode(AF-S mode don't have the option) push the AF mode button and rotate the sub-command dial. I can choose "auto, s, d9,d21, d39,3d. Just DO NOT select 3d, is it correct?

Yes. "-)

Today I have the camera at hand, so.....a brief review of the settings.

To change AF Focus mode:
  • Press and hold AF mode button (front left, near lens mount).
  • Rotate rear command dial to select servo mode: AF-A, AF-S or AF-C.
  • Then, rotate front command dial to select an autofocus mode.
For AF-C, continuous focus servo mode, you can choose one of 6 autofocus modes:
  • S - the single autofocus point mode. I suggest you start here.
  • Auto - automatic autofocus mode for which the camera chooses the subject - usually the closest subject. Works reasonably well for basic shots if there is no need to focus and recompose.
  • D9, d21, d39 - moving subject tracking modes where motion is tracked within a 9, 21 or 39 point area around the main focus point. Also OK on still subjects.
  • 3D - moving subject tracking mode in which you first "lock" the focus point on a subject. As the subject moves and you follow by panning the camera, the focus point will move as it tries to stay locked on the subject.
Quick Check of Autofocus Settings:
  • Press Info button on back to see the Info screen and the focus point diagram which illustrates the chosen focus pattern. The Info screen is also useful to use when setting focus choices.
  • Press Info button again twice to turn off Info screen or tap shutter button.

• boyboytse likes this

Andrea B.

#125 boyboytse

boyboytse
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:44

Thanks a lot! Just the answers to my questions these few days worth more than my subscription :D
  • Alf Iversen likes this

#126 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,096 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:59

You are welcome.
All this is in the D600 manual. I'm never sure if I explain it better, worse or the same as Nikon does. "-)

Andrea B.

#127 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:32

"Worse" would be difficult. So you're on the positive side of things after all :)
Bjørn

#128 boyboytse

boyboytse
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:13

I think it should be included in D600 user's manual, or at least it should state " for details please refer to Nikongear.com" :D

#129 Light Seeker

Light Seeker

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 22:21

Bjorn. . . With the D800 you expressed some concern about noise in flat lighting being an issue even at ISO 800, but you also noted that the camera was fine up to 3200 in other lighting conditions.With the D600 you mentioned in another thread that "A cursory glance at high ISO NEFs show very low noise levels.".

Now that you've finished your D600 testing how would you describe it's noise performance? Does it exhibit excessive noise in flat lighting like the D800? Is the D600 truly a step up in noise performance from the D700?

Thanks.

Terry.

#130 rvink

rvink

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,031 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:52

How is the D600 with manual focus lenses? I know it is compatible with AI lenses, and you can manually enter the CPU data into the camera, but how does it actually perform? Is the viewfinder screen good enough for manual focusing?

#131 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 02 February 2013 - 20:52

I think it's more than adequate. I've used the D600 with 24/2 and the Noct and 50/1.2 and had no issues. It struggles with the 15/5.6 but to be honest so would even an F2 unless you used the special R screen for this lens.
Bjørn

#132 BillO

BillO

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 322 posts
  • LocationRVing Full Time in the USA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:17

I realize this topic has been dormant for some time, but would still like to try a question of some interest to me.

I have a number of older AF-D lenses in which the AF function is less than stellar on many of the consumer bodies (like my current one :angry: ), but appears fine on the "pro" bodies with more power or stronger drive motors.

Where does the 600 lie on the "AF power" spectrum for AF-D lenses (i.e. sluggish like my D80 or  does it drive them with authority like a D4)?

Thanks.

Edited by BillO, 20 September 2013 - 02:20 .

Regards,

Bill

Be yourself.  Everyone else is taken.   Oscar Wilde

#133 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:11

Neither sluggish nor blindingly fast. Compared to say my D3S,  a vintage 'pro' lens like the AFD 35-70 mm f/2.8 Nikkor, focuses almost as fast, but there is a tendency to an overshoot/readjustment cycle that is not present with the pro camera.

Bjørn

#134 BillO

BillO

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 322 posts
  • LocationRVing Full Time in the USA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 18:26

nfoto,

Thank you very much.  The lens example that you used is exactly one that I would anticipate using regularly with a new FX format camera body.  The other likely lens would be the now-supplanted Zoom Nikkor 80-400 mm f4.5-5.6D since I can acquire that for 50% of the price of the newer AF-S version (and maintain a certain level of compatibility with my ancient film bodies).

Regards,

Bill

Be yourself.  Everyone else is taken.   Oscar Wilde

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d600, review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.