The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo

D600 - Questions and Answers

d600 review

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#41 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,963 posts
  • LocationFredrikstad, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 20 September 2012 - 17:06

How is live view implemented on the D600? Does the mirror stay up when taking a picture now?
Bjørn T

#42 Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 6,491 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 20 September 2012 - 17:07

I am getting much better battery life on my D800 than nphoto. I wonder why? It looks like the D600 is a real winner.
See my photography at http://ronscubadiver.wordpress.com/

#43 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 20 September 2012 - 17:09

How is live view implemented on the D600? Does the mirror stay up when taking a picture now?

Yes. Nikon finally got their act together.
  • FrankF and armando_m like this
Bjørn

#44 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 September 2012 - 17:16

I am getting much better battery life on my D800 than n[ph]foto. I wonder why? It looks like the D600 is a real winner.

You don't live in Norway ... Besides, the only relevant comparison in terms of images per charge is between different cameras used in the same manner by the same photographer. This tells that D800 is way down on the list, with D3X in the middle echelon and D3s on top. Not certain where D600 is going to position itself, but my hunch is that it'll be below the D3X and well ahead of D800.
Bjørn

#45 davepaterson

davepaterson

Ex-photographer

• Life Member
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationKillin, Scotland

Posted 20 September 2012 - 21:22

You don't live in Norway ... Besides, the only relevant comparison in terms of images per charge is between different cameras used in the same manner by the same photographer. This tells that D800 is way down on the list, with D3X in the middle echelon and D3s on top.

Well, of course that's true but doesn't take into account battery variability which anecdotal evidence seems to point to, in the case of the EN-EL15. In Norway recently (!) I got 540 exposures from one charge with the camera indicating 16% battery life still remaining. That was with a little chimping plus some image-reviewing each evening.
Dave Paterson

#46 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 September 2012 - 21:30

Cold weather is but one factor. The more important is you should always compare across cameras of the same photographer when battery capacity is assessed. Most people ignore this basic fact.

So, for my use of these cameras the average exposures per charge, and ranges, are as follows;

D800 approx 150 (80-200)
D600 300? not enough samples yet
D200 300 (200-400)
D700 320 (200-450)
D3X 350 (200-500)
D40X 400 (300-600)
D3S 450 (300-800)

In terms of battery longevity, the various types appear about equal. I expect around 3 years battery life on an average.
Bjørn

#47 Light Seeker

Light Seeker

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 22:24

D700 320 (200-450)

Now that's really helpful Bjorn. I suspect I would get 600+ shots from a D600.

Thanks.

Terry.

#48 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,965 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 20 September 2012 - 22:47

Cold weather is but one factor. The more important is you should always compare across cameras of the same photographer when battery capacity is assessed. Most people ignore this basic fact.

So, for my use of these cameras the average exposures per charge, and ranges, are as follows;

D800 approx 150 (80-200)
D200 300 (200-400)
D700 320 (200-450)
D3X 350 (200-500)
D40X 400 (300-600)
D3S 450 (300-800)

In terms of battery longevity, the various types appear about equal. I expect around 3 years battery life on an average.

Interesting they are all a long way off what I get with my D3, which renders between 900-1300 depending on
how much chimping/histogram checking I do, I use VR perhaps only 2 or 3% of the time!
The original battery I got with my D3 over four years ago is still going strong in performance terms though
it is showing I think four out of five in the mileage stakes!
Guess it's progress, not.Lol.
  • FrankF likes this

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

#49 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 September 2012 - 23:00

All the EN-EL4a batteries I purchased together with my first D3 are long since dead. Two of out three batteries for the D3X are about to die as well (they are at stage 3 out of 4). At this stage they can die off abruptly, as has happened me more than once in the field: one moment the camera is alive and working, then poof the battery passes away and the camera literally is dead.

Three year lifespan apparently is a pretty good estimate for the longevity of these batteries. Something one should keep in mind when discussing prices of DSLRs. It's more to the case than just purchasing the camera. Maintenance service, batteries, and auxiliary items all add up over time.
Bjørn

#50 hillsidekim

hillsidekim

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationHillside, Illinois U.S.A.

Posted 21 September 2012 - 00:57

Thanks for all the insightful info.
Kim
Western burbs of Chicago

#51 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,965 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:26

Bjorn,
I'm guessing that living in Norway means you are probably utilising these cameras and
batteries at the limit of their capabilities regarding cold weather during the winter time, I suppose
this has a cumulative effect on their longevity!

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

#52 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:33

It's winter and cold and low light and long exposures, yes, but what am I supposed to do? Cannot lit a whole landscape with flash or warm up the climate ... Oh well, on the latter we're all doing a collective effort.
Bjørn

#53 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:56

I am still draining on the first charge of the mighty 3900 mA DTSE battery in the battery grip I got for 109 USD (all included).
No, not the same quality as the MB-12 but for the price it cannot be beaten.
Having said that, I do have three original batteries for my D800 as having just one is a recipie for short trips.
Machina fotografica necesse est

#54 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:48

Using the D800 reminds me of my first shoot with F5. First camera that arrived in Norway and come ahead of its charger too. It was bitterly cold, I filled the battery pack with fresh alkalines, went out, and the camera died after about 5 frames. Next day I purchased lithium stock and got - just barely - the remainder of the film roll properly exposed. Then the F5 died again.

The battery charger arrived a few days later and then at the very least I could shoot approx 100 frames per day. Next week I got the first D1 coming to Norway, went out, and the camera died almost instantaneously. I had to use a hand-warming device (on its battery pack) to get through the day, but recall all I got over the entire day was a measly 40 frames. So I quickly learned to focus (!) on getting *the* shot at first try as often there would be no second opportunity.

Thus, even though my battery capacity figures may be much lower than what other people experience, I'm still a quite happy camper (except with the D800).
Bjørn

#55 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:25

Using the D800 reminds me of my first shoot with F5. First camera that arrived in Norway and come ahead of its charger too. It was bitterly cold, I filled the battery pack with fresh alkalines, went out, and the camera died after about 5 frames. Next day I purchased lithium stock and got - just barely - the remainder of the film roll properly exposed. Then the F5 died again.

The battery charger arrived a few days later and then at the very least I could shoot approx 100 frames per day. Next week I got the first D1 coming to Norway, went out, and the camera died almost instantaneously. I had to use a hand-warming device (on its battery pack) to get through the day, but recall all I got over the entire day was a measly 40 frames. So I quickly learned to focus (!) on getting *the* shot at first try as often there would be no second opportunity.

Thus, even though my battery capacity figures may be much lower than what other people experience, I'm still a quite happy camper (except with the D800).

Brrrrrrrrrrrr ... :wink:

Come and visit Boracay in the Philippines for a quick visit nfoto and perhaps also a workshop. I can guarantee a much longer interval between battery charges for your cameras while here. :D

Edited by Larry, 21 September 2012 - 12:26 .

#56 willl

willl

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 647 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 21 September 2012 - 13:04

Brrrrrrrrrrrr ... :wink:

Come and visit Boracay in the Philippines for a quick visit nfoto and perhaps also a workshop. I can guarantee a much longer interval between battery charges for your cameras while here. :D

Personally, I'd love it if Bjørn held a workshop in Tasmania where Fred is. There's some great places down there :)

I've almost convinced my brother to buy a D600 haha. :D

#57 makmanos

makmanos

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 972 posts
  • LocationNYC suburbs

Posted 21 September 2012 - 13:16

Although I have no reason to think anything might have changed on that front , I thought I'd ask anyway. Bjørn -or anybody else really, do you know if D600 delivers a "true" RAW image? Or does it apply basic noise reduction on RAW files for exposures over 1sec like all other models are reportedly doing? A feature that does not play well with people interested in astrophotography.
-Manos

#58 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 21 September 2012 - 13:23

Further to the LV in the D600. Compared to the D800 it is wonderful.
Here's a side by side comparison, both focused as best I could. Moiré is also demonstrated.

Attached Images

• IMG_0409.jpg

Edited by stenrasmussen, 21 September 2012 - 13:24 .

Machina fotografica necesse est

#59 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 21 September 2012 - 13:58

nfoto, Sten - care to comment on how the AF points on the D600 are clustered vis-a-vis the D800?

Related to this, the D800 has a wonderful AF cluster if used in DX crop mode. How does the D600 fare in this regard?

Edited by Larry, 21 September 2012 - 14:10 .

#60 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,096 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey

Posted 21 September 2012 - 16:36

I've been thinking the D600 AF points are kinda clumped together !! But as this cam is being marketed to the "enthusiast" crowd, I guess Nikon feels it has to hold back on some things. (...sigh...)

Here's my discovery of the day while playing with the D600 --> Tap the Info button before dialing in AF settings. The Info screen very nicely and easily illustrates the AF point choices in the on-screen diagram. This also saves you from having to look thru the viewfinder to see what AF settings your're dialing in.

The Info button is also useful in a 1-2 Right-Left/Hold sequence for quick on-screen changes of White Balance or ISO.
(The Info button is on the right and dedicated WB, Qual and ISO buttons are on the Left as you face the LCD.)

Andrea B.
UltravioletPhotography.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d600, review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.