#21 dslater

dslater

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 330 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 20 September 2012 - 13:22

Did another more in-depth AF test and the AF functions perfect. No gremlins.

However, I haven't yet found the setting that turns off 3D. Must be somewhere unless Nikon really disappoints this time.

Edit: found it - same approach as on the D800 by the way. I must go do something else; my brain doesn't work anymore :(

When and why would you want to turn off 3D? Just curious

#22 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 20 September 2012 - 13:26

Because it is a common reason for the "back-focus" problem. AF operation needs to be simple and predictable. I put the cameras to AF-ON, AFC mode and usually avail myself of the centre AF point.
Bjørn

#23 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,098 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 20 September 2012 - 13:35

I'll add an extra note to Bjørn's review - the D600 is nicely customisable. The AE-L/AF-L button can be made into the AF-ON button or act as an AE, AF or FV lock. The two front buttons, Fn and Preview, can be given any one of 22 settings !! Pretty cool.

The D600 has that new dial on the front bottom left of the camera (as you are facing the LCD) by the lens mount that customises your focus point and focus servo choices. I got used to this on the D7000 and found it to work well once it has been learned. The choices show up in the viewfinder.

The top left MASP/Auto/Scene dial now has a nice center button/lock which is depressed to make changes. And its companion S/Ch/Mup dial has the button/lock moved to the front. That one threw me for a minute or two, but I don't use it all that much so it will be OK.

So, what in the world is the 3D setting all about ??

Andrea B.
UltravioletPhotography.com

#24 dslater

dslater

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 330 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 September 2012 - 13:45

Because it is a common reason for the "back-focus" problem. AF operation needs to be simple and predictable. I put the cameras to AF-ON, AFC mode and usually avail myself of the centre AF point.

Interesting - so is 3D AF something post-dates my D300? I set my AF just like you - AF-ON, AFC and only use the center focus spot.

#25 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 September 2012 - 13:57

3D AF is a fairly new technique, yes. And it is not mature technology so the error rate is significant. Thus it escapes me why Nikon ships their new models with this AF mode set as default. 3D Tracking is even more erratic in its behaviour, by the way.
  • boyboytse likes this
Bjørn

#26 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 20 September 2012 - 14:02

The 3D setting is like a predictive AF feature where the camera attempts calculating the subject's movement in a three dimensional space. As soon as the subject leaves the selected AF point the 3D engine will hunt for the subject under the rest of the AF points.
...at least that's how I understand it :)
Machina fotografica necesse est

#27 dslater

dslater

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 330 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 September 2012 - 14:03

Ahh - good to know. How do you feel the D600 compares to the D300? Clearly the image quality is superior, but what about the other camera features - things like feel, handling, speed, etc. It seems to me that there are a few areas where the D600 is a step back from the D300.

#28 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 20 September 2012 - 14:07

3D AF is a fairly new technique, yes. And it is not mature technology so the error rate is significant. Thus it escapes me why Nikon ships their new models with this AF mode set as default. 3D Tracking is even more erratic in its behaviour, by the way.

I sometimes use this for sports as when shooting basketball undergoal at close range. Quite useful and effective as movement and changes in direction happens very quickly.

Edited by Larry, 20 September 2012 - 14:09 .

#29 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 September 2012 - 14:15

Undoubtedly 3D AF with tracking does work now and then, but I never found the results consistent and predictable the lack of which for me is a major drawback.

Stopping down a little takes better care of movement within a focused zone.

My impression so far is D600 handles better than the D300.
Bjørn

#30 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 20 September 2012 - 14:20

Undoubtedly 3D AF with tracking does work now and then, but I never found the results consistent and predictable the lack of which for me is a major drawback.

Stopping down a little takes better care of movement within a focused zone.

My impression so far is D600 handles better than the D300.

3D Tracking AF is limited for certain use but when needed is very useful. Stopping down not always possible when one needs the minimum DOF and as much shutter speed despite using high ISO settings with a D700 and D3s due to the crappy light.

Better than D300 - that's good news. How does the D600 feel in your hands compared to the D7000? The D7000 is a bit uncomfortable so I always pair it with the MB-D12 but this also makes it difficult to pack in limited space when traveling. I am hoping that I can use the D600 with no need for the MB-D14.

Edited by Larry, 20 September 2012 - 14:24 .

#31 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 September 2012 - 14:34

In my opinion, D600 is at the smallest size still compatible with normal hands. An L-bracket is helpful to give even better grip of the body.
Bjørn

#32 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 20 September 2012 - 14:48

I got wimmins sized paws but I still find the D7000 a wee bit small. D600 is better and the D800 betterererer. Without having a D300 at hand I'd still say it sits between D600 and D800 sizewise.
Machina fotografica necesse est

#33 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,098 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey

Posted 20 September 2012 - 14:49

I have all 3 of those - D300, D7000 and the new D600.

D300 is heaviest, then the D600 and then the lightest D7000.

The D300 "rectangle" is wider and slightly taller than the D600 rectangle.
(Think of looking at the back of the cams as you are holding them to shoot.)
The D600 is in turn slightly wider/taller than the D7000.

My personal experience (written in another thread) is that it is difficult to handhold the smaller, lighter D7000, but the D600 settles very nicely to hand without feeling too heavy. And I'm amazed that I can shoot 24MP handheld and get such crisp results !!

The D600 is, so far, in every way better than my old D300.

Andrea B.

#34 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,098 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey

Posted 20 September 2012 - 14:57

Bjørn, any observations about battery life for the EN-EL15 ??

Andrea B.

#35 Fons Baerken

Fons Baerken

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 8,939 posts
  • LocationNederland

Posted 20 September 2012 - 15:08

http://www.nikonsupp.../d600_en_01.pdf

#36 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 September 2012 - 15:13

Battery capacity of the D600 clearly is better than for the D800, but no long-term test has been conducted only field observations. Maybe I can get 3-400 frames? The D800 is terrible and I've been as low as approx. 80 frames from one charge. More often around 150, though.
Bjørn

#37 Marco Lanciani

Marco Lanciani

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 569 posts
  • LocationRoma

Posted 20 September 2012 - 16:15

... I currently test out if -1 EV suffices for general use.

What about flash photography (external flash, i.e. SB700): do you feel like you need some exposure fine tuning either, in matrix mode (camera) + TTL-BL mode (flash)? Same fine tuning amount?
Thanks,
Marco

#38 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,098 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey

Posted 20 September 2012 - 16:16

The EN-EL15 is a nice size too. Less bulky than the old EN-EL3e used in the D300.

Andrea B.

#39 photoArne

photoArne
  • Life Member
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 September 2012 - 16:46

Have you formed any impression regarding the strength of the AA-filter or compared the IQ, colours and general drawing to that of the D3x?

#40 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 September 2012 - 16:48

Not yet, but the comparison is on my to-do list.
Bjørn

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d600, review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.