The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

The Nikon 1 hybrid AF - how well does it work on AF-C?

nikon 1 af v1 v1 af

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationTokyo
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:55

Mexecutioner, thanks for the correction. I misunderstood the description of the updated firmware (ver. 1.10) for 10-30 and 30-110 zooms:

"When this lens is used with Nikon 1 cameras released on, or after, August 2012, the camera can be turned off by locking the lens barrel (retractable lens barrel button), even if the monitor has turned off and the camera has entered standby mode."

I missed the phrase: "even if the monitor has turned off and the camera has entered standby mode."

Sorry for the confusion.

That said, you are still unable to lock these lenses to turn off J1 or V1, once the camera is in the standby mode, even with the new firmware.

Edited by Akira, 16 October 2012 - 05:59 .

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#62 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 14:37

Actually that is not correct. If you turn on the lens the camera will turn on as well, there is no need to do both steps, unless for some weird reason you choose to turn on the camera first, and then yes, the lens would have to be turned on as well.

Too late to try it, it's gone....

#63 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 16 October 2012 - 15:02

Too late to try it, it's gone....

V2 should be announced soon next week with a sharper kit lens but unfortunately without VR. The downside is the likely $900 price.

#64 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 17:13

There is an interesting article at dpreview where a representative from Aptina (maker of the 1" sensor found in the V1 and J1) opined that the larger sensors can save compact cameras by offering better image quality which smartphone cannot compete with because of the smaller sensor in the smartphones.

http://www.dpreview....-compact-camera

#65 gerhard2006

gerhard2006

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 October 2012 - 20:05

Larry, that was a good article on 1" sensors. I just bought my first point and shoot V1 and love the size, weight and IQ of this camera. The gulf between P&S cameras and DSLR's was too big to buy any earlier. I also have the FT1 adapter and it's great for shooting small critters or distant objects as well. The difference between the IQ of the 4/3 cameras is minimal at best and the size of the lenses aren't really that small in comparison to the DSLR's. This link shows the comparison http://www.robgalbra...d=7-11666-11988
All in all I'm glad I waited and I'm enjoying the smaller package, with good IQ as well as fun with video which is something I've never done until now.

#66 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 20 October 2012 - 22:01

The size of the lens can be deceiving. To make a lens smaller by keeping the image quality is very challenging. You need to give up making them small if the absolutely high image quality is imperative at any cost. Cine leneses are good examples.

The 18-55 kit zoom of Sony NEX is a miserable example of sacrificing image quality for its compactness. On the other hand, the very first Panasonic kit lens (14-45) was an unprecedentedly excellent example which is no smaller than those for larger APS-C format cameras. Yes, both are digitally corrected in the cameras, but Sony stays miserable.

The Nikon 1 lenses are not as small as we expect, but let us hope that the sizes was necessary to maintain their image quality. So far I have found nothing to complain about 10/2.8 except for its closest focusing distance. My initial test, though quick 'n' dirty, tells that 18.5/1.8 is very promising.

#67 gerhard2006

gerhard2006

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:29

The size of the lens can be deceiving. To make a lens smaller by keeping the image quality is very challenging. You need to give up making them small if the absolutely high image quality is imperative at any cost. Cine leneses are good examples.

The 18-55 kit zoom of Sony NEX is a miserable example of sacrificing image quality for its compactness. On the other hand, the very first Panasonic kit lens (14-45) was an unprecedentedly excellent example which is no smaller than those for larger APS-C format cameras. Yes, both are digitally corrected in the cameras, but Sony stays miserable.

The Nikon 1 lenses are not as small as we expect, but let us hope that the sizes was necessary to maintain their image quality. So far I have found nothing to complain about 10/2.8 except for its closest focusing distance. My initial test, though quick 'n' dirty, tells that 18.5/1.8 is very promising.

I just got the 18.5 1.8 the other day and wow, sharp as a tack , great bokeh and finally some subject isolation without having to put on a fast full frame lens with the FT1. Nice and compact quick to focus, I'm looking forward to using it more in the field. It also focuses really close as well. Regards, Gerry

#68 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:46

You hit the nail on the head Akira. Great lenses are hardly ever small and compact except in the sweet spot of the focal length where small and great can co-exist. nfoto is full of praise for the Panasonic 14-45mm so I actally went the reversed route of most people who sell their kit lens. Despite having a multitude of m4/3 prime lenses, I recently went out and bought the m4/3 14-45mm kit lens!

How is the Nikon 1 kit lens in regard to overall size and performance?

I just got the 18.5 1.8 the other day and wow, sharp as a tack , great bokeh and finally some subject isolation without having to put on a fast full frame lens with the FT1. Nice and compact quick to focus, I'm looking forward to using it more in the field. It also focuses really close as well. Regards, Gerry

Gerry, your description of the lens also make me want to bolt out the door and get one! Congratulations on the V1 and the new lens!

Edited by Larry, 05 November 2012 - 09:56 .

#69 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 05 November 2012 - 21:36

Larry,

Unfortunately I'm not big fan of that retracting system of Nikon 1 zooms. Considering the format size, they are a bit too slow to me. Currently I only look at fast(er) primes.

Gerry, I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures through 18.5/1.8. ;)

#70 AndyE

AndyE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 23:17

How well does this hybrid AF work on AF-C with native CX lenses when used for sports/events using the current kit zoom lens at maximum focal focal length and shooting wide-open?

One example with the V1 and the 30-110mm Kit zoom. The series started with 110mm and went all the way down to 30mm and then back some mm. Setting was on AFC, 10 fps, all 41 images saved in RAW. Distance started at about 30 meters and went down to 3-4 meters. Overview of the 41 shots (click on the image for a larger version)Posted ImageThe first image - 30 meters away Posted ImageVery close - approx. 4 metersPosted ImageNumber of images in focus: 41.regards,Andy (I have no glue, why the input box of the forum software doesn't recognize line breaks (ignoring the enter key). Sorry )

#71 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:42

great shots andy and an illuminating example. i do not think there is another combination of camera and lens which would be as easily transported to the slopes and also capable of these results. even a pro body dslr would be hard pressed to hit this keeper rate!
http://photo.sfmthd.org/ [under construction]

#72 gerhard2006

gerhard2006

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:26

You hit the nail on the head Akira. Great lenses are hardly ever small and compact except in the sweet spot of the focal length where small and great can co-exist. nfoto is full of praise for the Panasonic 14-45mm so I actally went the reversed route of most people who sell their kit lens. Despite having a multitude of m4/3 prime lenses, I recently went out and bought the m4/3 14-45mm kit lens!

How is the Nikon 1 kit lens in regard to overall size and performance?

Gerry, your description of the lens also make me want to bolt out the door and get one! Congratulations on the V1 and the new lens!

Larry at less than $200 Canadian it was a no brainer and if you can get one, I'd jump at the chance. My camera store had one left and had already sold the other 10- 20 that they had with-in days of arrival. Andy that was an incredible view of the V1's capabilities. I love that 30-110 lens. The bokeh on that little gem is also excellent. You can sure tell that Nikon put 2 elements of ED glass in it, the colours are excellent, and the auto focusing...... second to none of the P&S. Regards, Gerry

#73 gerhard2006

gerhard2006

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:41

Larry,

Unfortunately I'm not big fan of that retracting system of Nikon 1 zooms. Considering the format size, they are a bit too slow to me. Currently I only look at fast(er) primes.

Gerry, I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures through 18.5/1.8. :wink:

Larry, Nikon is coming out with an 32mm 1.2 lens and has patents for an f 0.7 lens reported by Nikon rumours. Actually I like the retracting lens, I have a tendency to forget I've got the camera turned on, and just retracting the lens puts it into sleep mode which conserves battery power until I'm ready to shoot again. Plus with it retracted it doesn't bump into brush and branches when hiking through bush country.

#74 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:31

Andy, many many thanks for the photos. With little words necessary, you showed what this camera with the kit lens can do if properly employed - and you have just what this camera needs to show its true potential. It is then as capable as I had intuited it to be after reading up on the CPU, databus and AF capabilities of this camera. An amazing camera it is and a harbinger of what we will likely see in the upcoming mirrorless DX F-mount camera from Nikon.

Gerry, availability of the the Nikon 1 system is still difficult in our country so I rely on reviews and feedback to form an opinion on it. Buying into the system invariably means buying it outside the country for now as the V1 and the kit lens is sold at a considerably higher price than a D7000 body here, I kid you not! Your photos, inputs and feedback are valuable inputs for me though I must add that your enthusiasm and excitement does create some difficulty for me and only adds to the angst of needing to be patient and deliberate as I cannot try before I buy. :D

#75 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:30

And I thought that $400 for a V1 with the 10-30mm kit lens was low already ... but Amazon is now offering the same for even lower at $376.36.

http://www.amazon.co...m/dp/B005OGR3DM

Edited by Larry, 13 November 2012 - 06:31 .

#76 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:20

DELETED:

I've deleted this post of mine because it is a wrong thread (although it is not totally wrong). I re-post the same one on the dedicated thread for V2.

Edited by Akira, 14 November 2012 - 02:25 .

#77 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 16:17

Saw a new V1 and 10-30mm for $340 and finally caved-in and will give the V1 a go. My next stop is an FT-1 and trials with the 35mm f/1.8G, 50mm f/1.8G and 85mm f/1.8G. This is going to be interesting! :D

Edited by Larry, 25 November 2012 - 16:51 .

#78 gerhard2006

gerhard2006

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 December 2012 - 21:49

Saw a new V1 and 10-30mm for $340 and finally caved-in and will give the V1 a go. My next stop is an FT-1 and trials with the 35mm f/1.8G, 50mm f/1.8G and 85mm f/1.8G. This is going to be interesting! :D

Good for you Larry. I'm sure you won't regret it. I'd be interested to see what your conclusions are with these lenses because I have all these lenses, but the older versions either AFD, or Ais, but none of them will auto focus which would be nice. The 35 1.8G lens I've tried at the camera store and I'm very interested, although I notice Canon just came out with a 35f2 IS lens which I'm sure Nikon will also start bringing out fast primes with VR to compete. So I'm holding off until that happens. For video though the manual focus is just fine which from what I've read you are really into. Regards, Gerry

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon 1 af, v1, v1 af

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.