The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

The Nikon 1 hybrid AF - how well does it work on AF-C?

nikon 1 af v1 v1 af

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:41

Re the protruding EVF, I believe this is unavoidable if the proper eye relief distance is to be achieved. Other than helping shooters with a big nose, it also helps people who use the EVF while wearing glasses.

It would be a mistake if the V2 is essentially the same as the V1 with minor improvement. I believe that what is referred to as a minor improvement refers to the rear LCD screen due to its reference to the J2 LCD screen upgrade to 921K dots screen. So I still expect that Nikon will use the new sensor on the V2.

The new Aptina sensor can actually support camera 1080p at 120fps and even 4K video. If the V2 has a fast enough CPU to handle the 1080p at 120fps as well as 4K video plus an articulating screen among its features, the V2 will be an irresistible proposition to me.

Edited by Larry, 05 October 2012 - 08:26 .

#42 peroo

peroo

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 165 posts
  • LocationStavanger, Norway

Posted 08 October 2012 - 16:20

V1 on safari. Seems like only center focus is enough.
http://fstoppers.com...an-trump-a-dslr

#43 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationTokyo
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 08 October 2012 - 16:43

Re the protruding EVF, I believe this is unavoidable if the proper eye relief distance is to be achieved. Other than helping shooters with a big nose, it also helps people who use the EVF while wearing glasses.

It would be a mistake if the V2 is essentially the same as the V1 with minor improvement. I believe that what is referred to as a minor improvement refers to the rear LCD screen due to its reference to the J2 LCD screen upgrade to 921K dots screen. So I still expect that Nikon will use the new sensor on the V2.

The new Aptina sensor can actually support camera 1080p at 120fps and even 4K video. If the V2 has a fast enough CPU to handle the 1080p at 120fps as well as 4K video plus an articulating screen among its features, the V2 will be an irresistible proposition to me.

Larry, the finder eyepiece of NEX-7 is flush with the back of the camera. If you are accustomed to the AF speed of Panasonic cameras, you may be frustrated by Nikon 1's. Compared to GH2 and 14/2.5 combo, J1 and 10/2.8 combo focuses way slower in video mode, especially for close distances (not macro).
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#44 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:02

V1 on safari. Seems like only center focus is enough.
http://fstoppers.com...an-trump-a-dslr

Addressing the author's suggestion to consider the V1 primarily as a 2.7x teleconverter, here are my thoughts.

A 10mp 2.7x crop camera will be equivalent to cropping out the center section of a 72.9mp full-frame. Using a 36mp D800 will not give a user the same pixel density as a 10mp V1 but outside the 2.7x crop area, the D800 will provide the user with a much wider latitude in cropping options from CX to DX to FX and anything in between. Against this, a V1 essentially limits the user to the field of view covered by the CX's 2.7x crop - he cannot go wider while a D800 user can go wider to DX and even to FX. Moreover, there has to a weighing of how the single center point AF of a V1 would compare against the better AF system of the D800 (I am being quite generous here and am assuming that the D800 AF is working well).

The above would be something to think about for someone who does not yet own a V1/J1. For those who already have a V1/J1 along with an FT-1 and AF-S lenses, the question is moot and academic.

#45 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:10

Larry, the finder eyepiece of NEX-7 is flush with the back of the camera. If you are accustomed to the AF speed of Panasonic cameras, you may be frustrated by Nikon 1's. Compared to GH2 and 14/2.5 combo, J1 and 10/2.8 combo focuses way slower in video mode, especially for close distances (not macro).

Thanks Akira for the heads up. I must say that I have suitably warned in what to expect from the Nikon V1. I will likely wait a bit longer before trying out the Nikon 1 system then.

I have reasons to believe that Nikon can do a far better job in designing and making a lens adapter than the FT1. Whether Nikon will actually develop something better than the FT-1 remains to be seen. This seems unlikely as based on the V1/J1 designs, Nikon is mainly targeting the point and shoot users who wants to upgrade to a bigger sensor camera. A far better and capable upgrade of the FT-1 will only happen if Nikon seriously targets the current dSLR users so that they would stay within the Nikon 1 ecosystem rather than be looking and using other mirrorless system. Judging from the number of Nikon dSLR and mirrorless camera users here, I would say that Nikon is a bit late to the party and even when it came to the party, is not doing too good a job.

Edited by Larry, 09 October 2012 - 10:11 .

#46 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:11

The problem I found about FT-1 is its rectangular light path which cuts parts of the cylindrical light beam emitted from the rear element of a lens and affect the bokeh: the top and bottom of otherwise round bokeh is trimmed. Actually Nikon warns against this phenomenon when the fast (f1.2 and 1.4) lenses are employed.

It could be difficult, though, to make an adapter with a circular light path, because there would be no space for the aperture lever actuator and the necessary electronic circuit.

That said, I would think the potential of NIkon 1 could be highter than Nikon itself would assess (actually Nikon should be well aware of that). The sharpness of the magnified live view images on Nikon DSLRs are not as good as that of Panasonic or Sony in terms of comfort of manual focusing. D4 and D800 are no exceptions, and I've found that the problem persists on the latest D600, too.

So, even though you are confined to 2.7x crop factor, I would think that the "cropped" format of Nikon 1 is more comfortable to handle than using the FX DSLRs with the same crop factor in mind. V1 or possibly V2 could make a good companion to D600 as they share the same batteries.

ADDED:

Dpreview.com has jsut post the detailed info on the new 1" Aptina sensor:

http://www.dpreview....ble-10MP-sensor

I would doubt if Nikon would hire such an over-quality sensor for V2. The increased dynamic range is highly welcomed, though.

Edited by Akira, 09 October 2012 - 11:56 .

#47 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:40

Thank you Akira for elaborating a bit more on the FT-1 and the difficulties that may be involved in making a better model. Of all the mainstream mirrorless system out there, it is the Nikon 1 System that I have not adopted. The FT-1 and the ability to use Nikkor AF-S lenses however keeps me looking in this direction.

I think it is a given that I will be adding the GH3 (primarily for video) to my m4/3 system at a later time but I am really looking hard at the Nikon 1 System. I thus greatly appreciate your helping me calibrate what to expect in my possibly adding the Nikon 1 System to my m4/3 and NEX since you have personal experience with all three ... the Nikon 1, m4/3 and NEX. Re the last serous mirrorless contender, Fujifilm X-System, as much as I like my Fujifilm X100, I will likely stay off the Fuji X-System due to issues on Adobe being incapable of properly demosaicing Fuji's RAW files. The lack of an articulating screen on the Fuji bodies, the middling video capabilities of the Fuji X-bodies, and the upcoming E-mount Zeiss AF lenses for the NEX, are the additional factors that will likely keep me from Fuji X-System.

Re the V1 2.7x crop factor and using it as a teleconverter, I had in mind that if you use a D800/D800E with the same lens to shot the same scene, while one may not have the same pixel density as a V1 in a 2.7x crop factor, one will have have the option of cropping less than that and get the option of wider coverage which is not an option on the V1 since it will always be 2.7x crop.

Re battery commonality of the V1 with other Nikon dSLRs, I greatly appreciate this as I own a D7000, D800E and will likely get the D600 next year.

Re the new Aptina sensor, wouldn't Nikon be committing market suicide if the V1-successor would still use the same sensor as the V1? I already assume that Nikon will use the new Aptina sensor in the V1-successor but wonder whether the Nikon V1-successor will support the full video capabilities that the Aptina sensor is capable of which is nothing short of spectacular as far as I am concerned. This new sensor while representing a significant but perhaps still small improvement for stills represents a huge leap forward in video. I am thus watching closely what Nikon will do with this sensor.

Edited by Larry, 10 October 2012 - 09:24 .

#48 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:38

Even without the demosaicing issue, I would doubt Fuji would meet your requirement, considering its less than avarage video capability and AF speed.

With the announced Aptina sensor, V2 would be the most capable video camera that Nikon has ever produced, on condition that Nikon utilizes the full potential of the sensor! I'm not sure if that would happen. There are many different aspects in terms of the improvement of J/V1 and J2, and faster AF in video mode should be one of the priorities. I would say that Panasonic is THE only manufactrurer (maybe along with Olympus) at this moment that produces video-capable digital still camera whose AF sped won't frustrate the user.

Edited by Akira, 10 October 2012 - 10:39 .

#49 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 14:39

I only got to read this article by Thom Hogan today. It pretty much repeats what I have observed when Nikon reduced the price of the V1 with kit lens to $400. Unless the V2 is released as a very compelling camera, I doubt whether there will be many V1 owners who will upgrade to a V2. :dontknow:

http://www.sansmirro...e-v1-price.html

Edited by Larry, 10 October 2012 - 17:02 .

#50 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 16:32

Yup, that's me. But I still kept my FT 1 & 10mm just in case.

Hell they don't depreciate as fast as the V1

Rags

#51 Alaun

Alaun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 273 posts
  • LocationBonn

Posted 10 October 2012 - 17:42

Yup, that's me. But I still kept my FT 1 & 10mm just in case.

Hell they don't depreciate as fast as the V1

Rags

Well, the FT1 already has the hole, where you would expect the AF-drive for the older Nikkors .....

Lets dream ;-)

_DSC3367.jpg

#52 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 10 October 2012 - 18:36

I only got to read this article by Thom Hogan today. It pretty much repeats what I have observed when Nikon reduced the price of the V1 with kit lens to $400. Unless the V2 is released as a very compelling camera, I doubt whether there will be many V1 owners who will upgrade to a V2. :dontknow:

http://www.sansmirro...e-v1-price.html

Sure, that's why I can find no reason for switching my J1 to J2!

FWIW, V1 and 10/2.8 kit can be had for 38,800 JPY (slightly under 500 USD) here in Tokyo now. :)

#53 Eb Mueller

Eb Mueller

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationChilliwack, BC, Canada

Posted 10 October 2012 - 19:06

FWIW, V1 and 10/2.8 kit can be had for 38,800 JPY (slightly under 500 USD) here in Tokyo now. :)

Still $700 for this kit here, on the west coast, Canada. That's down only about $200 from release price, which seems reasonable for 1 year. That seems consistent country wide. So there are no fire sales from Nikon Canada!
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada
http://www.pbase.com/emueller

#54 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 20:26

$419 Reported on Amazon (w10-30)

#55 Mexecutioner

Mexecutioner

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 1,605 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 15 October 2012 - 19:15

I received mine with the 10-30 kit lens from Adorama last Friday, Paid US $399 plus 12 bucks for shipping. At that price why not give it a try? I played a little bit with it last night and so far for what it is, it is decent. Now, had I paid US $900 for it, it would be a different story, but I don't think I would ever had at that price. It also helps not having high expectations. Understanding the limitations and compromises helps avoid frustration.

#56 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 19:34

I received mine with the 10-30 kit lens from Adorama last Friday, Paid US $399 plus 12 bucks for shipping. At that price why not give it a try? I played a little bit with it last night and so far for what it is, it is decent. Now, had I paid US $900 for it, it would be a different story, but I don't think I would ever had at that price. It also helps not having high expectations. Understanding the limitations and compromises helps avoid frustration.

Is the FT-1 next?

#57 Mexecutioner

Mexecutioner

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 22:57

Is the FT-1 next?

I think I will eventually end up getting one, but since the idea is having a compact that I have with me at all times, I don't think it will see much use on a daily basis, since my idea is to have something not too bulky. Perhaps I will get the 10mm lens first, to make the combo even smaller. But I'd be lying if I said I'm not curious about it.

#58 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 23:03

Yeah, I got a 10mm, the on/off of the 10/30 plus the on/off of the cam got to be a pain, pretty frustrating

Good luck with it.

Rags

#59 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 16 October 2012 - 00:57

Yeah, I got a 10mm, the on/off of the 10/30 plus the on/off of the cam got to be a pain, pretty frustrating

That is one feature I don't like about Nikon 1. This frustrating problem is addressed on J2, but there seems to be no firmware update for J1 or V1. :(

I didn't like that collapsable feature when I saw the Olympus kit zooms for m4/3 cameras for the same reason. I never dreamt of Nikon following the same way!

Edited by Akira, 16 October 2012 - 00:58 .

#60 Mexecutioner

Mexecutioner

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:24

Good luck with it.

Rags

That is one feature I don't like about Nikon 1. This frustrating problem is addressed on J2, but there seems to be no firmware update for J1 or V1. :(

I didn't like that collapsable feature when I saw the Olympus kit zooms for m4/3 cameras for the same reason. I never dreamt of Nikon following the same way!

Actually that is not correct. If you turn on the lens the camera will turn on as well, there is no need to do both steps, unless for some weird reason you choose to turn on the camera first, and then yes, the lens would have to be turned on as well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon 1 af, v1, v1 af

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.