The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

The Nikon 1 hybrid AF - how well does it work on AF-C?

nikon 1 af v1 v1 af

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,626 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 30 September 2012 - 19:13

Larry, this is a very interesting discussion. But at the end of the day, the big advantage of the V1 is that it is a very fast compact. The horrible delay in cameras like the S90 is a thing of the past. It is not perfect, and one has to learn to live with the shortfalls. All of the other issues pale into insignificance against the sheer speed of response.

#22 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 30 September 2012 - 19:20

when using the v1/j1 with the ft1 and an af-s lens, you're limited to the center point and single focus operation. very difficult to use for moving subjects and the main reason I don't use the camera more. the camera is very fast, so you can get some shots in focus simply by repeatedly pressing and releasing the shutter.

the 35 f/1.8 makes a pretty nice image from a much smaller package than a 105 on fx...
http://photo.sfmthd.org/ [under construction]

#23 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 30 September 2012 - 19:38

Larry, this is a very interesting discussion. But at the end of the day, the big advantage of the V1 is that it is a very fast compact. The horrible delay in cameras like the S90 is a thing of the past. It is not perfect, and one has to learn to live with the shortfalls. All of the other issues pale into insignificance against the sheer speed of response.

Thanks Anthony. I was just reading Thom Hogan's review of the V1 and this plus your summary hits the bullseye and provide me with the direction I should be looking at rather than treat the V1 as an accessory to my existing FX/DX lenses. In addition to what you have mentioned, the attraction of using the same battery I use on the D7000 and D800 (and future D600) is a big attraction as I need to being only one charger for these 3 bodies when traveling. The rear 3" LCD is pretty good though I still wish it was articulating. But the final attraction I will admit is that I can get a V1 with a kit lens now for about $400. This plus the 18.5mm f/1.8 would be nice! On the other hand, I already have the GH2, NEX-5N and NEX7 which are all excellent performers in their own right for what I use these for. Hmmmmmmm .....! :flood:

#24 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 19:40

when using the v1/j1 with the ft1 and an af-s lens, you're limited to the center point and single focus operation. very difficult to use for moving subjects and the main reason I don't use the camera more. the camera is very fast, so you can get some shots in focus simply by repeatedly pressing and releasing the shutter.

the 35 f/1.8 makes a pretty nice image from a much smaller package than a 105 on fx...

OK. V1 plus FT-1 and AF-S lenses should best be reserved for static subjects though repressing the shutter button can be used in some occasions. Re 35mm f/1.8, you are reading my mind. :D

Edited by Larry, 30 September 2012 - 19:41 .

#25 peroo

peroo

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 165 posts
  • LocationStavanger, Norway

Posted 30 September 2012 - 20:21

Re CX lens, do you have an interest on the upcoming Nikkor CX 18.5 f/1,8?

Edit: Just saw your photo. When using the V1 with an FT-1, is the single point AF movable and user-selectable rather than be limited to just the center AF point?

I´m not sure about the 18,5. I prefer something wider for indoor use but for walking around it could be nice.

Only center focus, as schwett confirmed.

Some info about the FT-1 and autofocus here
http://www.luminesce...stem-resources/

Edited by peroo, 30 September 2012 - 20:54 .

#26 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,259 posts
  • LocationTokyo
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:43

As schwett noted, 35/1.38G works very nicely as a reasonably fast mid-tele. With the FT-1 and J1, you are confined to the central AF pint, but it focuses much faster than D7000 in live view mode, and the focus is very accurate and reliable. I would say that 35/1.8G (and probably 50/1.8G and 50/1.4G, too, followed by 85/1.8G) would be the best DX lenses to go with Nikon 1.

If you move the camera horizontally, the lag would not be too obvious. If you are to confirm the lag, you should rotate the camera fast around the optical axis of the lens. However, I would say that this is rather a "torure test", and you are not likely to do that in the actual shootings.

Edited by Akira, 01 October 2012 - 14:51 .

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#27 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 14:01

Thanks Peroo for the link. That site has a lot of very helpful information.

Thanks Akira. The coming days will likely bring a new camera to the Nikon's 1 System as it is not just barely used Nikon V1 with kit lens that sells for $400 on eBay, even new units now sell for this price as well and it ships free. Here is a link for a $400 V1 + kit lens ar Adorama for the benefit of some of our readers.

http://www.adorama.c...rce=rflaid63773

This new price is a huge drop from the almost $900 list price when this camera was introduced. While I believe that the list price should have been lower and while a price drop is to be expected over time, this huge price drop over a short time will not make current owners happy even though most know that a price drop is inevitable. I had thought that Nikon would perhaps be a bit more proof against this sort of price drop that marked the m4/3 system but this makes it clear that I was wrong in this belief.

#28 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 17:49

Thanks Peroo for the link. That site has a lot of very helpful information.

Thanks Akira. The coming days will likely bring a new camera to the Nikon's 1 System as it is not just barely used Nikon V1 with kit lens that sells for $400 on eBay, even new units now sell for this price as well and it ships free. Here is a link for a $400 V1 + kit lens ar Adorama for the benefit of some of our readers.

http://www.adorama.c...rce=rflaid63773

This new price is a huge drop from the almost $900 list price when this camera was introduced. While I believe that the list price should have been lower and while a price drop is to be expected over time, this huge price drop over a short time will not make current owners happy even though most know that a price drop is inevitable. I had thought that Nikon would perhaps be a bit more proof against this sort of price drop that marked the m4/3 system but this makes it clear that I was wrong in this belief.

Tell me about it.

Nikon's actions with this line is regrettable and has it's cost with diminishing customer reliance.

I can only attribute this stupidity to the business conditions surrounding the Japanese flooding

Rags

#29 peroo

peroo

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 21:04

I had thought that Nikon would perhaps be a bit more proof against this sort of price drop that marked the m4/3 system but this makes it clear that I was wrong in this belief.

I think we have to live with that small cameraes are like other consumer electronics, they are old after 12 months and "garbage" after 3 years. I have been testing my iphone5 over the weekend and must admit that I don´t think I will ever use my Coolpix P300 again.

#30 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 21:30

The Nikon V1 became available in the US sometime in late October last year. Though expecting a drop in price, I am surprised that it is now priced at just 44.5% of its original price even before a year has lapsed. To me, this is rather unprecedented for a Nikon product but perhaps unavoidable given its unrealistic high initial price and stiff competition from other manufacturers who have also dropped their prices at a fast clip. This means that a lightly used Nikon V1 and kit lens will soon be available in eBay from $250 to $300, a price that would be welcome by the new owners but not by those selling their units.

Perhaps what bears watching is how Nikon will price the V1-successor when Nikon releases this. If Nikon continues with its practice of pricing it high upon initial release, then one should perhaps remember what happened and just hold off getting it if one has other cameras to rely upon and the need to buy the new camera is not urgent. In a year or less, one would likely be able to buy a new unit at less than half the price.

#31 peroo

peroo

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:54

Isn´t this price a special deal, just like the $249 CS6 last month?
Prices on adorama without the special link has not changed.

#32 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 14:49

Isn´t this price a special deal, just like the $249 CS6 last month?
Prices on adorama without the special link has not changed.

Maybe.. But this was at a few retailers.

Now I'm wondering whether they have a financial reporting angle for the dump; like inflating gross income for a quarter

Rags

#33 Alaun

Alaun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 273 posts
  • LocationBonn

Posted 02 October 2012 - 21:14

With all the nasty little draw backs, the V1 is neither bred nor butter (though I like mine :sungum: ). For those, coming from the compact cameras, the J1/J2 with flash is much better (and was cheaper) and for those, wanting it beside a dslr, too much is missing. With new sensors coming up, perhaps Nikon eventually is listening to the customers and takes the chance? Hope never dies.

#34 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:17

With Aptina announcing the new sensor, I too believed that a V2 is coming up. If the V2 utilizes all the new capabilities of the sensor, it would quite an impressive video camera. This would however require much better support on AF-C. Let's see if Nikon can deliver on both. If not, one can always wait less than a year to get a discounted V2.

#35 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,259 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:27

If the V2 would drop that protruding EVF and incorporate an articulating LCD (Panasonic G/GH style, not the tilt ones on Sony, Olympus, etc.) instead, I migt seriously consider V2.

#36 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:36

If the V2 would drop that protruding EVF and incorporate an articulating LCD (Panasonic G/GH style, not the tilt ones on Sony, Olympus, etc.) instead, I migt seriously consider V2.

An articulating LCD screen and the new sensor may be just what it will take for me to get the V2 (though not necessarily to the exclusion of the GH3 for video). The FT-1 plus the ability to auto-focus with Nikkor AF-S lenses is pretty attractive despite being limited to the center AF-point.

Re the protruding EVF, is your objection primarily on its vulnerability and/or difficulty when packing the V1 in a bag?

Edited by Larry, 05 October 2012 - 03:37 .

#37 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:45

Price drop price schmop. Yes, it blows for us who bought the V1 at a high price, but it was not a secret that Nikon was charging a lot; that's the price of being the first to buy. But i'd rather see the One line being succesful and having a lot more lenses (and a more powerful flash) available than that it dies at a high price.
On my summer vacation I was able to walk around with a quality camera around my neck that had a nice solid feel to it without causing a hernia. Nex can do that too. And I had two lenses in the pockets of my pants. Nex can't do that. One is a very nice system, really compact, and I've spent enough on it that I want it to see it have a decent future. In that sense I'm happy that prices have dropped. Yes, it would have been nice if I only had to pay that little for my system. But I'd rather spend $400 "too much" on a system that offers a lot more two years from now, as opposed to Nikon stubbornly sticking to a ridiculous high price and not selling anything.
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#38 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:10

Link to new Aptina sensor:

http://nikonrumors.c...1-cameras.aspx/

Bart, just a bit of feedback on small compact camera options other than the V1.

The m4/3 system is a good option and is quite capable too. Though I have a much bigger Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 lens and Olympus 12mm f/2.0 that I use with my GH2s, I also have the pancake 20mm f/1.7 and 14mm f/2.5 when I need something smaller and compact. There is also a whole raft of m4/3 fast primes such as the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 and Olympus 75mm f/1.8 which are a delight to shoot and bring. For macro, the Panasonic 45mm and the new Olympus 60mm f/2.8 is extremely capable. If you want an m4/3 body with an even better sensor with in body image stabilization, the E-M5 does the trick. Importantly for me, the GH2 and the E-M5 have articulating screens and bigger sensors that the Nikon V1. The m4/3 even recently received a 24-70-200mm f/2.8 equivalent in Panasonic's 12-35mm f/2.8 and the 35-100mm f/2.8 with both zoom lenses optically stabilizied. It will take many years for Nikon to develop this extensive a lens option for the Nikon 1. Hopefully, Nikon will introduce an articulating screen with the V2.

Re NEX, I use the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 with the NEX-5N and NEX-7 and there are times when I feel that this is all the lens that I will ever need with my NEX. :wink: I over reach of course as I use my Nikkors on adapters with the NEXs and these combos are neither small or compact anymore such that it will fit in one's pocket (though I can always fudge as even the Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 will fit in the pockets of my tactical vest). :D

In closing however, only the Nikon 1 System (V1 and J1) can auto-focus using Nikkor AF-S lenses on an FT-1 - and this to me is the starting point for looking at the V1 and possibly the V2.

Edited by Larry, 05 October 2012 - 05:47 .

#39 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,259 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:22

Re the protruding EVF, is your objection primarily on its vulnerability and/or difficulty when packing the V1 in a bag?

Larry, my objection to the EVF (of V1, and of even Panasonic G/GH for that matter) is that the eyepiece protrudes from the back of the body. Admitting that the protruding EVF should be comfortable for the people with large noses :D, it hits the side of my body when carried with the strap around the shoulder or the neck. Also, it protrudes into the LCD view when the camera is held lower like at the waist level.

#40 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,259 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:49

According to the latest news on Nikonrumor.com, the V2 looks just the same as V1:

http://nikonrumors.c...nced-next.aspx/

If there is no huge improvement of image quality, I can easily hold my breath to wait for the J/V3. Actually, J1 has been a bargain because it offers the same image quality as V1 does.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon 1 af, v1, v1 af

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.