#1 EL_guest

EL_guest

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:21

A whole bunch of new Leica products for photokina!
  • LEICA M as new top model
  • LEICA M-E for design purists and as entry level camera
No Leica M10 – simply LEICA M!

The new Leica M top model is simply called LEICA M – and comes with a 24MP CMOS sensor, live view, HD video capabilities, focus peaking and a LEICA R adapter.
» No Leica M10 – simply LEICA M!

Leica M-E
The new LEICA M-E – the digital M for purists. For 4,800 Euro you get a digital Leica M camera with the specs of the LEICA M9 and an extremely reduced design.
» Leica M-E

Edited by Erik Lund, 18 September 2012 - 06:23 .

#2 vivionm

vivionm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:36

I'll pass. Sold my M9 some time ago.

I get the same IQ and more keepers with the Fuji X Pro 1.

#3 EL_guest

EL_guest

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:15

I'll also pass, sticking with my M8u for now,,,
A reinvention of Visoflex for M is not what I would like to have, the new M with EVF, and battery grip makes it an DSLR sized camera similar to the D600.

The rear LCD is a worthy upgrade that should have been on the M8 and 9 in the first place...

#4 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:20

The new M has a decent LCD screen, but the ridiculously overpriced M-E...hmmm...230k pixels...sehr unbelieveable.
Machina fotografica necesse est

#5 JohnBrew

JohnBrew

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 929 posts
  • LocationFolly Beach, SC

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:44

The rear LCD is a worthy upgrade that should have been on the M8 and 9 in the first place...

Amen! Leica moves in strange and mysterious ways. The new lineup is confusing. I wonder when production of the M9/P will cease?
On another thread I commented on the fact that long after production of R glass has ceased, THEN they bring out an R adapter for the M. Excellent corporate planning, Leica. Keep it up and we'll consign your name to history.

I have no intention of selling my M8.2. Occasionally I like to travel back in time.

Edited by JohnBrew, 18 September 2012 - 15:05 .

#6 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,968 posts
  • LocationFredrikstad, Norway

Posted 18 September 2012 - 14:58

Except for the price, I think the New M is a good Idea, but it has taken Leica too long to get there.. With the EVF that camera becomes useful for landscape photography and it can be used with macro lenses. It serves as a proof of concept that a digital Nikon FM2 is possible, now that would be something!
Bjørn T

#7 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,180 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 18 September 2012 - 17:13

Is it just me or does this EVF look exactly the same as the Olympus EV-2?

Posted Image

Support Fotozones:  

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#8 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,968 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 17:36

It is a rebadged Olympus VF-2, yes. Don't remember where I read that. Great viewfinder by the way.

The Leica M really becomes the first full frame mirrorless camera, and not just an old fashioned rangefinder.

Edited by bjornthun, 18 September 2012 - 17:37 .

Bjørn T

#9 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,180 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 17:55

Leica M with zoom lenses. Whodathunkit?

Support Fotozones:  

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#10 EL_guest

EL_guest

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 18 September 2012 - 18:07

Leica M with zoom lenses. Whodathunkit?

+1
WHY....

#11 Geomiljo

Geomiljo

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 114 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 September 2012 - 19:10

OK, not to say that I disagree with any of the above, but to be fair, Leica DID promise sometime - at least I think I have read it somewhere - that they would come up with a "digital R solution", and now they have done it.

And with very little effort, just using the Olympus VF-2, and a simple (?) lens adapter!

The electronic finder makes sense anyway, for use with wide angle M lenses (?), and focusing aid - assuming the live view focusing aid works with the VF-2 ?? - so they only had to come up with the lens adapter to claim that "digital R solution".

If I had been the owner of Leica R lenses (I´m not), and not already using them on Canon bodies (oh no...), I would have been very happy.

Regarding price of the M-E, last night it seemed expensive, but today, when comparing it to the Hasselblad/Nex 7 version, maybe not?

#12 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,180 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 19:19

I had some wonderful R lenses about 6 or 7 years ago, as well as some M lenses too.

My question about this Leica M is whether the optical finder works and if there is actually a rangefinder in there somewhere?

Support Fotozones:  

#13 JohnBrew

JohnBrew

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 929 posts
  • LocationFolly Beach, SC

Posted 18 September 2012 - 19:57

Dallas, yes, it has a rangefinder. The EVF is mostly to focus those lenses not handled by the rangefinder, although you certainly could use the EVF for all lenses.

#14 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,098 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:33

Live view and focus peaking are excellent additions to the M line. I've held onto my 50 Cron for a long time thinking that maybe someday I could put it to use again on a Leica of some kind. "-) The improved LCD is super nice too. I don't think I would really care much about having video on a Leica rangefinder though!

Andrea B.
UltravioletPhotography.com

#15 dslater

dslater

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 330 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 September 2012 - 16:24

It is a rebadged Olympus VF-2, yes. Don't remember where I read that. Great viewfinder by the way.

The Leica M really becomes the first full frame mirrorless camera, and not just an old fashioned rangefinder.

So I wonder if you'll be able to pick up the viewfinder from Olympus VF-2 cheaper, or did Leica make some change to the connector itself so you have to use theirs.

#16 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,968 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 16:35

So I wonder if you'll be able to pick up the viewfinder from Olympus VF-2 cheaper, or did Leica make some change to the connector itself so you have to use theirs.

If someone give me a Leica M, I'm willing to try my VF-2 on it. ;-)
Bjørn T

#17 dslater

dslater

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 330 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 September 2012 - 16:43

lol - if someone gave me a Leica M, I'd be willing to go buy an VF-2 to try it :)
On another note, isn't that a standardized socket on an Olympus that can take a number of different accessories? If Leica has the same socket and the Leica EFV is just an Olympus clone, I wonder if the other accessories will also work with a Leica M??

Probably not, as a standardized connector doesn't necessarily mean standardized software protocols. :(

#18 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,968 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 17:06

Actually, Leica sells a microphone kit for the M, which look suspiciously like the one (SEMA-1) that Olympus sells. The accessory shoe is standard for the Olympus m43 cameras, except the E-P1, if memory serves. So the question is if the pins and protocols are the same for Leica or if there is some firmware thing that identifies a Leica EVF to the Leica M, so it will only use that one.
Bjørn T

#19 Geomiljo

Geomiljo

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 114 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 21 September 2012 - 14:09

Regarding the Olympus VF-2 it is supposed to fit the Leica compact, the X2, I guess it should also be OK on the M. So there you can save a few dollars/euros...

#20 dslater

dslater

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 330 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 September 2012 - 18:08

A whole bunch of new Leica products for photokina!

• LEICA M as new top model
  • LEICA M-E for design purists and as entry level camera
No Leica M10 – simply LEICA M!

The new Leica M top model is simply called LEICA M – and comes with a 24MP CMOS sensor, live view, HD video capabilities, focus peaking and a LEICA R adapter.
» No Leica M10 – simply LEICA M!

Leica M-E
The new LEICA M-E – the digital M for purists. For 4,800 Euro you get a digital Leica M camera with the specs of the LEICA M9 and an extremely reduced design.
» Leica M-E

If the Leica M-E truly uses the same sensor as the M9, then I think you're crazy to buy it instead of the new M for about 1000 Euro more. I believe this sensor is something like 2006 technology - it doesn't even perform as well as my D300.
As I've been reading about the new M on various forums, I've noticed a lot of Leica purists complaining about how un-leica like and bad the new EVF & grip is. What I find amusing about these complaints is these people are complaining about accessories. You don't have to get these. If you want to go with your classic Leica M setup, then do so - Use your M lenses with the optical viewfinder/rangefinder. Don't put the grip on the camera. You have a digital M that looks and handles the same way as the M9.
About the only issue I see with the new M is the removal of the frame-line preview lever. Leica claims that hardly anyone every uses this feature, but I'm not so sure I believe them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.