• LocationManila, Philippines
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:04

It's now official. The Panasonic GH3:

http://www.dpreview....c-lumix-dmc-gh3

It's big compared to the GH2!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Larry, 17 September 2012 - 12:13 .

#2 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,181 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 17 September 2012 - 16:07

I dunno about this. If you're going to go big you may as well go the whole way and get a DSLR. It totally defeats the purpose of m43 if you ask me.

Support Fotozones:  

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#3 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 16:21

Speaking of the GH3 as a video camera, a bigger body means better dissipation of heat ... an essential requirement for one of the best video camera in dSLR-style format. The GH2 was already very good in heat dissipation, working non-stop continuously for hours under direct noon-afternoon sun where the NEX and Nikon dSLR used in video simply stopped working in short order. The GH3 will likely surpass the GH2 benchmark on this.

As a stills camera, the bigger size also means it can accommodates a bigger battery, a better grip when handling bigger lenses, and greater area for adding direct control buttons. The camera also now has a flash synch connection and WiFi.

Edited by Larry, 17 September 2012 - 16:23 .

#4 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,280 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:31

Larry, thanks for sharing your real-world experience with GH2 as videocam. Your area is really ideal for this kind of torture test. :D

In an interview to Panasonic engineers published in Japan, they said that the image sensor of GH2 cannot be used for other models like GX1 because of the heat problem.

Having said that, I would have to say that GH3 has become a little too big for a m4/3 camera. It could be regarded as "compact" only when combined with 12-35/2.8 zoom.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#5 AndyPS

AndyPS

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 722 posts
  • LocationNorth Coast NSW Australia

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:38

Dallas, I'm with you on this.

For someone like me, the appeal of the Olly OMD is its small size and light weight combined with reasonable IQ, a camera that can pretty much go anywhere with you, yet still deliver good files when the need arises. The more I learn about this camera, the more I am convinced it is a great take-everywhere camera as well as a reasonable back-up to my Nikons (DSLRs). I am not interested in photography with a mobile phone, unless the technology really leaps ahead remarkably, which is unlikely for at least 5 to 10 years.

#6 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,181 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:01

Andy, the OM-D is the perfect travel camera. Now if only I could travel sooner... :)

Support Fotozones:  

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#7 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:29

Larry, thanks for sharing your real-world experience with GH2 as videocam. Your area is really ideal for this kind of torture test. :D

In an interview to Panasonic engineers published in Japan, they said that the image sensor of GH2 cannot be used for other models like GX1 because of the heat problem.

Having said that, I would have to say that GH3 has become a little too big for a m4/3 camera. It could be regarded as "compact" only when combined with 12-35/2.8 zoom.

Akira, thank you for that bit of info. I have nothing but praises for the GH2 as a video camera and wondered quite a few times why Panasonic did not reuse the GH2 sensor with its other m4/3 bodies. The info you provided explains why this is so perfectly.

The big leap in the GH3's video capabilities means that I have to re-examine my plan to get a 3rd GH2. I am not as put-off by the size and weight of the GH3 as what takes the most space are the lenses and the m4/3 lenses I need to bring have not changed, remaining compact and light.

Prior to the E-M5, I adopted the m4/3 primarily because of the GH2's excellent video and relied on my NEX/Nikon dSLRs for stills. The E-M5 is a good stills camera but its video capabilities are middling compared to the GH2. I would have gotten an E-M5 if its video capabilities were as good as the GH2. With the GH3 further elevating its video capabilities above the GH2, this makes getting an E-M5 for video even more of a non-starter. If the GH3's still capabilities approximates the E-M5, then there will be no need for me to get the E-M5 at all.

Edited by Larry, 18 September 2012 - 10:36 .

#8 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:24

Panasonic has coined a new term "DSLM" which stands for digital single lens mirrorless for the GH3 but which I think can also be used for other m4/3 cameras. The generic term "mirrorless" could be used to address anything from the camera in our smartphone to point and shoot to the mirrorless m4/3 and APS-C cameras. DSLM is perhaps a more apt and easier term to refer to mirrorless camera with interchangeable lens systems like the m4/3, NEX, and Fuji's Xs.

The first full review of the GH3 is available through the link below. As much as I was tempted by the E-M5, the GH3 is better suited to my needs. I am restraining myself from getting this camera at initial release but all bets are off if the GH3 is sold with the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 OIS as a kit lens at discounted price.

With the GH3 now capable of taking good stills images, I now have no qualms in using an m4/3 camera for stills. With Nikon never releasing a DX equivalent of the 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II and thus never capitalizing on the lighter and more compact dimension such a lens with a DX body would have made possible, I am now looking at the GH3 and the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 OIS (and with the 12-35mm f/2.8 OIS as well) as the smaller and lighter alternative that Nikon never made available for its DX cameras. The small and compact 12-35mm f/2.8 OIS 35-100mm f/2.8 OIS on the GH3 makes for a very interesting comparison in terms of size against a D600 with the 24-70mm f/2.8G and 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II.

http://www.ephotozin...h3-review-20489

Edited by Larry, 20 October 2012 - 15:19 .

#9 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:45

Panasonic has coined a new term "DSLM" which stands for digital single lens mirrorless for the GH3

Their marketing department displays a sad ignorance of etymology. The "S" in SLR has nothing to do with body format. It was introduced to distinguish it from the "T" in Twin Lens Reflex (eg Rolleiflex). The term DSLM can properly be applied to almost all non-DSLR digital cameras, including my Canon S90.

#10 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:52

Their marketing department displays a sad ignorance of etymology. The "S" in SLR has nothing to do with body format. It was introduced to distinguish it from the "T" in Twin Lens Reflex (eg Rolleiflex). The term DSLM can properly be applied to almost all non-DSLR digital cameras, including my Canon S90.

True but most will find it easier to use DSLM due to our familiarity with dSLRs rather than the term "mirrorless" or "MILC" to refer to the m4/3 or NEX or similar camera system. Moreover, the other term "EV-IL" is even worse and perhaps incorrect as many DSLM do not necessarily have an electronic viewfinder though the new ones now have an option to attach one.

Edited by Larry, 20 October 2012 - 09:52 .

#11 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:12

Is it really useful to have an expression which means "digital single lens mirrorless camera which is different from other digital single lens mirrorless cameras only because it is bigger than most of them and looks quite a lot like a DSLR"?

It is actually misleading to talk about this new camera as single lens, because it is an interchangeable lens system and the fact that the same lens is used for viewing and shooting is irrelevant as almost all digital cameras do this. In the case of SLR, the fact that the reflex system viewfinder uses the shooting lens is highly significant.

I really hate it when words lose their meaning because people don't understand them, particularly when people are pushed into misunderstanding because of marketing-speak. Communication is better when everyone understands words in the same way.

Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens is correct for mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras with no optical viewfinder, because they all have an electronic viewfinder, either in the traditional place or by way of the LCD screen - which is a viewfinder.

I do concede that EVIL is not a dream expression as far as marketing is concerned.

#12 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 15:13

This links shows to good effect one benefit resulting from the increase in size from the GH2 to the GH3 - better cooling. In contrast, the link shows a Nikon patent for an external device for cooling its camera. The consequent increase in size will make an already big Nikon dSLR even bigger. Hopefully, Nikon can achieve the desired cooling effect without introducing dust or other contaminants into the sensor chamber.

http://nikonrumors.c...l-cameras.aspx/

Posted Image

#13 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,280 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 20 October 2012 - 22:32

Fan-cooling is no good! Any fan-cooling system sucks dust, and dust filter is clogged sooner or later (pretty soon actually). Also, the fan will eventually becomes the noise source, even if it is dubbed "noiseless".or "silent", which couses problems when shooting video.

Dust problem could be solved if the air flow can be perfectly isolated from any internal part of the camera, but this patent tells that the hole for the built-in speaker is utilized as the outlet of the cooling air, which suggests that the air flow is not isolated.

We, as user of PCs, should know how the cooling fans become noise source and collet dust. I know that professional videocams uses cooling fans. I'd like to know how they cope with the dust problem - with the replaceable dust filters maybe?

#14 Luc de Schepper

Luc de Schepper

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,839 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 20 October 2012 - 22:41

Looks like a nice camera. Not for me though, I've never liked the 4:3 format. 3:2 it is for me, and 16:9. Also I'm not a fan of the Panasonic Jpeg engine. But for video the GH2 was "da bomb" and the GH3 will certainly improve upon this.

#15 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 15:42

http://www.megapixel...h/archive/34996

"While the GH2 was a 60% video and 40% stills camera the GH3 is more of a 50%-50% according to Mr. Drawert."

As the GH3 has push its video capabilities even further than even the excellent GH2, I am curious to see how Mr. Drawert's statement that Panasonic has improved the stills camera capabilities of the GH3 will translate to.

#16 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 15:54

As the sensors and AF on the m4/3 camera improves, the smaller and lighter m4/3 lens size will increasingly make a big difference in terms of what system one will bring where weight and bulk are important considerations.

Bringing the m4/3 equivalent of the 24-70mm f/2.8 and the 70-200mm f/2.8 will weigh less than an FX 24-70mm f/2.8. When Panasonic finally releases the m4/3 equivalent of the 300mm f/2.8 in its upcoming 150mm f/2.8, the weight and bulk (as well as price difference) will be more accentuated.

When this happens, choosing what gear to bring will likely mean for me choosing between FX and the m4/3 system rather than my current choosing between the FX and the DX system. The multitude and excellent lens choices for the m4/3 system and the dearth of DX lens choices is partly the reason for this. This is what I expect will happen to me but this has already happened for Thom Hogan. As the m4/3 sensor nears then eventually reaches the performance envelope of the sensor on the Nikon D700, this will become more true with more users.

Filter:

70-200mm f/2.8 ------ 77mm
35-100mm f/2.8 ------ 58mm

24-70mm f/2.8 ------ 77mm
12-35mm f/2.8 ------ 58mm

Weight:

70-200mm f/2.8 ------ 1540 grams (with tripod collar)
35-100mm f/2.8 ------ 360 grams (no tripod collar)

24-70mm f/2.8 ------ 900 grams (no tripod collar)
12-35mm f/2.8 ------ 305 grams (no tripod collar)

Length:

70-200mm f/2.8 ------ 86.4mm x 205.7mm / 3.40" x 8.10"
35-100mm f/2.8 ------ 68.6mm x 99.1mm / 2.70" x 3.90"

24-70mm f/2.8 ------ 83.8mm x 132.1mm / 3.30" x 5.20"
12-35mm f/2.8 ------ 67.6mm x 73.8mm / 2.66" x 2.91"

Minimum Focus Distance

70-200mm f/2.8 ------ 1400mm / 4.60'
35-100mm f/2.8 ------ 850mm / 2.50'

24-70mm f/2.8 ------ 380mm / 1.25'
12-35mm f/2.8 ------ 250mm / 9.84"

Edited by Larry, 25 October 2012 - 01:20 .

#17 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,280 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:00

Luminous Landscape has posted a preliminary field report of GH3:

http://www.luminous-...ld_review.shtml

#18 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 15:12

Thank you for the info and the link Akira.

The GH3 checks almost all of the boxes I want this camera to be. A universal shutter would have been nice but it is perhaps too soon for this to appear. I plan to wait for the GH3 to be sold with a 12-35mm f/2.8 or 35-100 f/2.8 as a kit lens to get the best value from the purchase.

#19 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:48

These comparisons likely means those objecting to the bigger GH3 will have even more reason to object to it! :D

Image credit: www.camerasize.com

Attached Images

• Camerasize - GH2 vs GH3.jpg
  • Camerasize - EM5 vs GH3.jpg

Edited by Larry, 03 November 2012 - 12:57 .

#20 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:21

The GH3 is even a bit wider than the D7000. The GH3 body however is significantly lighter. The m4/3 lenses for the GH3 however would be significantly be more compact and lighter than the FX/DX lenses used with the D7000.

Image credit: www.camerasize.com

Attached Images

• Camerasize - D7000 vs GH3.jpg

Edited by Larry, 03 November 2012 - 07:24 .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gh3, dmc-gh3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.