• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Steinar

Steinar

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:06

Dallas, I have the interpretation that you have good connections (including the aforementioned option to purchase the said macro cheap), and you should treat yourself to find a place where they have Olympus 75mm f/1.8, and where you could shoot just 10 minutes with it.
  • Larry likes this

#42 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:36

Dallas, I have the interpretation that you have good connections (including the aforementioned option to purchase the said macro cheap), and you should treat yourself to find a place where they have Olympus 75mm f/1.8, and where you could shoot just 10 minutes with it.

:D :D :D

... thereafter Dallas, we will be congratulating you on your new lens acquisition!

Edited by Larry, 17 September 2012 - 11:36 .

#43 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,177 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:36

I know! I was looking at a review of it with a lot of sample images last night and saying WOW, that thing is definitely in my near future. I sent an email to my contact at Olympus this morning to see where I can get a copy and for how much.

Olympus doesn't give me any discount, by the way. I paid full price for my OM-D. They do offer me equipment for testing purposes though and the macro lens I might get is a Panasonic, which is being sold off as old stock by the company who brought them in (Panasonic has no official representation in South Africa). But now I have to wait to see how much the repairs to my old Mercedes are going to cost before I make any more moves on lenses.

Support Fotozones:  

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#44 Steinar

Steinar

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 13:13

We are all looking forward to read the rest of the story - also about the car :)

#45 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 14:30

Just a heads up Dallas on future lenses that might be handy for your work, including in the Safari.

Posted Image

#46 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,177 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 14:58

The 150mm 2.8 looks very interesting! I wish it was available now. I'm boarding my plane for the 2012 Nikongear safari in couple of weeks time and man... it's the same old drama again. What to pack, what to leave behind?

Olympus is apparently also in the process of developing a 17mm 1.8 and a 15mm f/8 "body cap" lens that is only 9mm thick. There's a lot to look forward to and it's really great to see another brand giving the big boys something to think about.

Support Fotozones:  

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#47 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,968 posts
  • LocationFredrikstad, Norway

Posted 17 September 2012 - 15:56

And now the 60/2.8 Zuiko macro has been released, together with the "body cap" 15/8 lens.
Bjørn T

#48 Steinar

Steinar

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 15:59

Has it finally - I looked for it the other day, but then it was not.

It will be very interesting, but I have used my money (75-eren, and I am SO happy with this lens)

#49 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 16:03

Has it finally - I looked for it the other day, but then it was not.

It will be very interesting, but I have used my money (75-eren, and I am SO happy with this lens)

What saved me from the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 was the recent announcement by Zeiss of a Zeiss ZF.2 135mm f/2.0. So I will just have to make do with MF using my Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G or Zeiss 100mm f/2.0 on adapter with my GH2.

Let me add to the confusion on what lens to get .... :D

Posted Image

Schneider-Kreuznach
  • Super-Angulon 14 mm/2.0
  • Xenon 30 mm/1.4
  • Makro-Symmar 60 mm/2.4

Edited by Larry, 17 September 2012 - 16:10 .

#50 Steinar

Steinar

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 18:15

:) I like your word "saved"

#51 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 20:04

:) I like your word "saved"

The Olympus 75mm f/1.8 is so good and so compelling that I do not want to get within holding distance of this lens for surely I know what will happen after that ... :devil: :crazy:

I will wait until the supply for the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 stabilizes and the prices normalize and may get one later. Hopefully, I can repeat my experience with the Olympus 12mm f/2.0. I have arranged to purchase a brand new Olympus 12mm f/2.0 tomorrow for USD $550, a significant savings from its current $799 price and even more from the $899 price just a little over a year ago.

#52 Steinar

Steinar

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 20:46

This is the clever way, but I could not resist ;)

#53 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 21:36

This is the clever way, but I could not resist :wink:

Me thinks you did not really try! Running towards the temptation, then holding and testing is hardly a fool-proof way of resisting. :drinks: :yes: :D

Neither will Dallas be successful in resisting the temptation if he follows your prescription .... :cheese: :sarcastic:

Looking forward to some great photos from you with this great lens!

Edited by Larry, 17 September 2012 - 21:37 .

#54 Steinar

Steinar

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 21:42

You are so right, but I did not want to resist, even I know I later could spare som money.

I want it, and I want i now !!

:D

#55 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,177 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:58

The local price is a major stumbling block for me. I would have to sell off some Nikkor glass, which I am reluctant to do. Perhaps if we can fill out a little safari early in the new year that might change, but for now I think the Panasonic/Leica 45mm 2.8 is my next purchase (might get it today if the mechanic's prognosis for my car is not too bad).

Support Fotozones:  

#56 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 18:23

Just a quick note on m4/3 lens choices for video.

I use the m4/3 GH2 primarily for video for over a year and a half and am only beginning to learn to use it for stills. The reason for this is that I also still have my Nikon dSLR and Sony NEXs which I use for stills. But I am seeing good results for stills from users of the GH2 and this has prompted me to consider using it for stills.

I have the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 but decided to get the Olympus 12mm f/2.0 because of the 2/3-stop difference and the wider view. The reason why the aperture difference matters so much in video is that with video, one has to keep the shutter speed fairly high even when using a tripod and video head so the 2/3-stop difference has a big impact in allowing me to lower the ISO setting by as much. With stills, the aperture difference may not matter as much when using a tripod as one cam simply lower the shutter speed. For the same reason, I obtained a Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 despite already having a Panasonic 20mm f/1.7.

The 12mm f/2.0 is a bit sharper than the 14mm f/2.5 and combined with the drop in ISO setting, the net effect is that I feel I have improved my video image quality by at least half, to as much one full generation if this be expressed in still photography terms. In Nikon dSLR speak, the adoption of faster and sharper lenses yielded a similar effect as if one went from a D3/D700 to a D3s.

I will nonetheless be keeping the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 and the 20mm f/1.7 despite getting the faster 12mm f/2.0 and 25mm f/1.4. I intend to use these pancake primes primarily for stills photography where the slightly lower speed and slightly lower MTF will not have as much impact. The primary attraction of these 2 lenses is that they are so tiny and compact, taking up so little space and being very light that I can easily carry these with little effort. The Olympus 12mm f/2.0 but more specially the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 (due to hood being non-reversible) are considerably bigger and take up at least double the space.

Edited by Larry, 21 September 2012 - 19:12 .

• yunfat likes this

#57 danielm46

danielm46

• Subscriber
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:34

Just to add my humble contribution, here is two examples of my favorite M4/3 lenses:

Posted Image
Zuiko M.45mm F1.8

Posted Image
Zuiko M.14-42mm

The Zuiko M.45mm F1.8 is really a gem to use in low light situation and the large maximum aperture improve greatly the autofocusing performance of the EP-3. The Zuiko M. 14-42mm kit lens is my most versatile and discrete street lens even considering the lower quality result, the not so wide angle of view and its modest maximum aperture.
F, F2A, F3, F4S, F5 ... I have loved them all and today I am still a Nikon user for the best and the ...
Nikon has a special photo signature that has and still match to my vision of the world even today.

http://photodanielm.blogspot.ca

#58 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:49

I like the cat photo with the 45mm f/1.8 ... it really brings out the strength of this lens.

Olympus is about to release the 17mm f/1.8 this December at 550 Euro. More info on the link below. I have mixed feelings about this lens as I already have a 20mm f/1.7 which performs very well on the GH2 and is very handy due to its pancake configuration. Substituting this with the 17mm f/1.8 though would create a better focal length separation with the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4

http://www.43rumors....r-for-550-euro/

Perhaps this lens will be of greater interest to Olympus E-M5 owners who complain about the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 being slow on their Olympus body.

#59 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,073 posts
  • LocationLille

Posted 15 November 2012 - 13:04

I must say that this thread may have influenced my choices. So far the four lenses I bought are all my favourites : Oly 12/2, Panasonic 20/1.7, Oly 45/1.8 and Oly 75/1.8. Sharpness of the 12/2 might be a bit less convincing than the other ones wide open, but that's it. I do not foresee any further purchase, not even the attractive Oly 12-35/2.8 zoom. That's just too much money spent, and I'll have to re-educate myself using the 20/1.7 as a "base lens", that's all.

Other needs are, or will be, covered by existing full frame lenses:

With the Novoflex adapters, I can do macro with the 55/2.8 Micro Nikkor or the 100/4 Canon FD ; I have not yet made my opinion. Of course the AFS 105 is available, but that would be inconsistent - MFT is also about weight and bulk.

The adapted Canon FD 50/1.4 yields interesting results, but I need to do a side by side comparison with the Oly 45/1.8. I expect different strengths, and the Oly to be more universal (higher contrast, small size, low weight, AF).

The adated Canon FD 135/2 (25 years old) is very sharp and rather contrasty from 2.8 on. I guess it is hard to find second hand; it is also a nice piece of equipment, of very high manufacturing quality. It seems to be able to last forever.

I regret not having bought an 180/2.3 Angénieux lens, FD mount, when it was available second hand in a nearby shop for peanuts. Same kind of lens, just longer. Could have been extremely interesting. I do have the 180/2.8 Ais ED, yet to be tested.

The adapted Nikkor 300/4 AF yields a good combination, even wide open. Focussing is not easy though. Can also be used for self-defense, and just fits (if not mounted on the OM-D) into my shoulder bag, so that's the limit.

And the mirror lenses... well, also to be tested. These are never going to be my favourites, but I expect them to be more useful despite the crop factor, thanks to in-camera stabilization. Being able to focus properly will remain a nasty issue. Maybe the 300 will remain the upper, practical limit.

PC-E lenses are not usable (no way to close the diaphram). PC 35/2.8 is not a very insteresting FL on MFT. PC 28/3.5 is more useful, but remains average (sharpness falls down at levels too low when shifted, even around f/8).

If sb would produce a 14/3.5 with (tilt &) shift in MFT mount, I'd consider buying one. Let us dream.

Edited by Airy, 15 November 2012 - 13:18 .

#60 willl

willl

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 647 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:00

After using it for awhile, I'll state now that the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 is my favourite m4/3 lens.

That said, it's easy to see why, as it's a choice between the Olympus kit lens (14-42), Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 and the Olympus 45.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.