The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Favourite m43 lenses?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 Steinar

Steinar

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 23:48

Happy to report that I ordered the OM-D body only earlier today and I should get it by Friday. :dancer:

Will definitely look into that 75mm, Steinar. Thanks for the suggestion.

You are welcome and congrats with your descision.

After one more day I must say: This Olympus 75mm f/1.8 is really as sharp as the Nikon 200mm f/2.0VR ( one tester named it as a comparison) - I always shoot test shots against the same subject, and have also done that with the Nikon 200mm).

About the bokeh: The 200mm wins, but this lens is very good.in this area, and much better than most.

For still shots the AF is very fine.

For continous shooting there is no comparison - Nikon (and the 200mm) is way, way ahead. Do not even think about a comparison..

This lens is much better, than my 45mm f/1.8, but it is also 3 times as expensive, and I think you need the hood. which is extra payment, but to get such a fantastic sharpness and so fine bokeh it is really worth the money, and - for me - it is now "hard" to use lenses which is not near this sharpness, even sharpness not is all, of course,but it is important - at least for me, so I will let the 45mm go, but still keep the panasonic 20mm

Edited by Steinar, 14 September 2012 - 00:01 .

#22 willl

willl

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 647 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 14 September 2012 - 00:43

Here's a DxOMark comparison of the Olympus 45 1.8 with the Nikon 85 1.4 and Canon 85 1.8 - http://www.dxomark.c...l-ED-45mm-f-1.8

#23 Steinar

Steinar

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:08

Here's a DxOMark comparison of the Olympus 45 1.8 with the Nikon 85 1.4 and Canon 85 1.8 - http://www.dxomark.c...l-ED-45mm-f-1.8

Interesting - It will also be interesting what they will say about the 75mm lens - I am sure it will score high in the resolution area, and higher than the 45mm (but the 45mm is still good)

#24 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 15:51

My vote is for the generic cheapie 25mm 1.4.

Shot this series with it last year.

I have the 45mm, but if you shoot it in portrait mode with anything but an OM-D, you have to rotate the output. This is why I had to give up m43 for anything serious, even free cellphones have a gyro orientation, and it pisses me off that Olympus cut corners so much.

#25 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,167 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 14 September 2012 - 19:15

Well, I have a new camera in the form of the OMD and the past 3 hours since the battery got charged up fully I have been trying to come to grips with this little thing's interface. This is a seriously complicated camera! But there are features and customisations that I believe are going to make my photography both easier and more difficult simultaneously.

I will be doing my own write up from a Nikon user's perspective as I progress through. So far the one thing I am delighted with is that the body comes with a clip on flash which can be set to fire manually at 1/64 of its power. This means that I can continue to use my Nikon speedlights wirelessly in SU-4 mode for product photography! Too bad I sold my flashmeter a while back, but I suppose I could use the histogram for this.

I opted for the silver and black version. It looks very nice! And is so small in the hand. Reminds me a lot of my OM2n (which was papa-g's old cameras from many years ago).

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#26 Steinar

Steinar

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:03

Congratulations Dallas, and I agree so very much, that the menus ar not intuitive and there is a lack of "paths", but when you find out (it took me a while, because Nikons menus are much easier and more intuitive), then you will say: It is easy, but in the beginning it is NOT

Perhaps this will help:

http://www.dpreview....he-olympus-e-m5

#27 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,167 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:24

I think the thing that confuses me is that there are so many different customisations for various options. I am going to try and set it up as close to my Nikon way of thinking as I can.

I think that once I get used to it, we are going to become very good friends. :)

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#28 Steinar

Steinar

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:29

:good:

#29 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,167 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:54

I can get the Panasonic Leica 45mm 2.8 Elmarit brand new for about half the usual retail price. Problem is I was driving home from the shops yesterday and my car's alternator decided to give up the ghost. :( Not fun when you suddenly find yourself without power steering on a big Mercedes - it went into some kind of "limp" mode. I see a big repair bill ahead of me.

#30 Steinar

Steinar

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:14

No, this is certainly not fun - some months ago I drove a car - but not a huge one - without power steering, and you really need some muscles to do that, and I do not think is is secure, because we are so used to power steering.

About the lens mentioned: There are some mixed reviews - Lloyd Chambers likes it very much, Thom Hogan does not, ....as I recall it is something about the AF, but not sure.

I can search for it, if you are interested ?

But for half the price I would go for it, if you have the money after repair of your car.

Edited by Steinar, 16 September 2012 - 11:16 .

#31 Steinar

Steinar

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:19

Well, found it :)

http://www.sansmirro...marit-45mm.html

#32 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,167 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:50

Yes, I think at the asking price I would be kicking myself again for letting it go. I'm not seeing myself needing fast AF for this system anyway - will definitely be keeping the Nikon system for stuff that I need that kind of speed for (sports, etc).

Man, this old Mercedes must have overheard me thinking about selling it recently. As much as I love driving it, it's just not a practical car for my purposes. Not looking forward to seeing what the repairs are going to cost...

#33 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,963 posts
  • LocationFredrikstad, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 16 September 2012 - 13:46

I can only repeat that Olympus is about to release their 60/2.8 macro on Photokina, according to the rumour mill. So, I would hold out just a few days more. :) The suggested retail price will be EUR 599 according to 43rumors.

For the 4/3 slr system there are also the 35/3.5 and 50/2 macro lenses. The 4/3 slr Olympus 50/2, which you would need a 43 to m43 adapter for, has a very fine reputation, and could be well worth looking into.

My personal experience with Olympus OM-system macro lenses is that they are excellent performers at least the equal of NIkon, Zeiss and Leica. (My Olympus OM Zuiko macro lenses include: 50/3.5, 90/2, 20/2, 38/2.8, 80/4, 135/4.5).

Edited by bjornthun, 16 September 2012 - 13:47 .

Bjørn T

#34 Steinar

Steinar

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 14:58

"
"Man, this old Mercedes must have overheard me thinking about selling it recently"

OH yes, be carefull what you say to old cars :D

----
bjørnthun: Yes, and I was also thinking about waiting for it, but after seeing test and pictures from the 75mm f/1.8 I used my money on that, and it is SO good, if you value sharpness and fine bokeh and only a hint of CA at large aperture, and you can get some close up with it, but of course not macro

#35 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,167 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 15:46

Man... this is going to cause me headaches. After a day of shooting exclusively with the OM-D I can see where it's very strong and where it has weaknesses compared to my D700. Can I use this as a working camera? I think so, so now the question is whether I need wide angle more than I need macro?

The 45-175mm Panasonic X-series lens is working quite well on this body. I got some good results today while shooting a down-hill go-cart race. As a street shooting combo I don't think you can ask for more. Using the tilting touch screen as a release and the power zoom going to an FX equivalent of 350mm people don't even know you're taking their photo! I will post some samples in my soon to begin ongoing review of the camera.

#36 willl

willl

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 647 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 16 September 2012 - 23:11

I think the thing that confuses me is that there are so many different customisations for various options.

Don't know if you've seen it or not, but the Super Control Panel (available on most Olympus m4/3 models I've tried) is useful for quick access to various mode items (ISO/metering/WB/etc) - http://omdem5.wordpr...e-touch-screen/

And... My Olympus 45mm f/1.8 is on the FedEx truck on the way here :)

#37 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,167 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:23

You know, I was reading about that in the manual and it must have taken me a full hour to figure out how to switch it on. It was there when I first got the camera working, but sometime during my customisations it disappeared and pure chance saw me get it back. You have to push the EVF/monitor switch.

And I have since discovered what I suspect is a bug in the firmware, because when you switch off the auto monitor off option (the one that detects if you are looking through the EVF) you can't bring the Super Control Panel back. People may wonder why I would switch that detecter off? Well, when I am in deep stealth mode and taking photos of unsuspecting beings I use the touch screen to select a focus point and trigger the release. If you have the screen tilted upwards it blanks out as soon as you move your hand in front of that sensor. Switch it off and you also lose the SCP. Not cool. Hope they fix this.

#38 AndyPS

AndyPS

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 722 posts
  • LocationNorth Coast NSW Australia

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:41

Dallas, Looking forward to your feedback/review of this camera.

I am certainly not going to sell my Nikon gear but I want a good small & light camera as a back-up/ take everywhere camera superior to a pt & shoot.

#39 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,167 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:16

Andy, that's exactly what I am thinking. It's not a replacement for the Nikons, but it certainly is a lot nicer to be able to take one tiny little bag on an outing and get the same image quality you are used to getting from the bigger system. One area that this camera is no good for is sports, even though it offers 9 FPS. I suppose if it had an optical finder that wouldn't be a problem, but the EVF is too slow to keep up with the high frame rate so you lose the picture if you're tracking something.

#40 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:51

I currently use the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 lens on the GH2 for video and I like the way I can isolate the subject seated besides other people when using this lens. The Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 are close but the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 has a distinctly different and pleasing way of achieving the subject isolation that is different from the two lenses mentioned.

Edited by Larry, 17 September 2012 - 09:04 .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.