#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,181 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 11 September 2012 - 13:55

Tomorrow my 2nd D700 finds its way to its new owner and I am still stuck on whether I should get the Panasonic GX-1 or Olympus OM-D to compliment my GF-1, or maybe I should rather use the funds to get a better lens for the m43 system.

Do you have any favourites? I know I need to look at the wide-angle options, but what about macro lenses for m43? Are there any decent ones to look for?

Support Fotozones:  

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 bollox

bollox

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 337 posts
  • LocationDenmark
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 11 September 2012 - 14:35

My favorite lens is the Olympus 45/1.8 I really love the way it renders.
My most used lens is the Panasonic 20/1.7 because of the focal length and the small size.
For macro I used an adapted Nikon 55/3.5 Ai

Here is a shot of the 55 mounted on my Oly E-PL3

Posted Image
D700_2012-09-04_DSC_1351-Edit.jpg by Morten Westergaard, on Flickr

Here's a shot with that combo

Posted Image
E-PL3_2012-06-05_P6050684.jpg by Morten Westergaard, on Flickr
  • Larry likes this
Morten
Posted Image

#3 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationFredrikstad, Norway

Posted 11 September 2012 - 15:03

Dallas: Can you put a finder on the GX-1? You need a viewfinder.

My small and light kit is Oly 12/2, Pana 20/1.7 and Oly 45/1.8. I also have an Oly 17/2.8, which I got in a kit. The Oly 17/2.8 gets mixed reviews, but was nevertheless able to induce moire in combination with the E-PL1. On 43rumors, they say that Olympus will come out with a high grade 17/1.8 but also that this lens is still in the prototype stage.
Bjørn T

#4 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,181 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 17:47

Not sure, but I am almost certainly leaning towards getting the OM-D after reading Ming Thein's excellent review here. I played with it very briefly in a store last week, liked it, but was a bit concerned about the image stabilisation. It seemed to me to appear very nervous, but I'm almost certain that this would have been a setting somewhere.

I have the Lumix 14-45mm and 45-175mm lenses, but if I am going to use this camera seriously I would like to invest in a decent macro lens for it. I'll probably let my Nikkor 105mm VR go as I seldom use that. Ming seems to rate the Leica Panasonic 45mm as being very decent. Hmmm.....

Support Fotozones:  

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#5 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 17:56

Olympus will be launching a 60/2.8 macro soon (Photokina) according to the rumour mills.
Bjørn T

#6 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,280 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 11 September 2012 - 23:14

Dallas, how would you use macro lens? If you do relatively casual hand-held closeups, Panasonic/Leica 45/2.8 with MEGA O.I.S. should be the way to go (I haven't been aware of the new Oly 60/2.8 which sounds good, too). It is light enough to stably put the lens/camera combo on a tripod at the bottom of the camera.

If you think about more dedicated macro work mostly using a tripod, micro Ai-s Nikkor 55/2.8 behaves very well on a m4/3 camera. In that case I would recommend a Novoflex Nikon F-to-m4/3 adapter with a dedicated tripod collar. The collar allows you to rotate the adapter and has the dovetail mount. It is very useful for the well balanced support of the camera/adapter/lens combo. You could even use a 105/2.8-class macro, too.

The Novoflex dovetail mount is slightly narrower than the "standard" Arca-Swiss one, but screw-type clamp should hold the mount tightly. I use a Sony NEX version and my Acratech clamp bites the mount securely.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#7 willl

willl

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 647 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:45

To be honest? I don't have a favourite yet.

At this stage, all I've got is the kit lens (Oly 14-42) and Panasonic 14mm f/2.5. And also a cheapy Nikon F to m4/3 adapter from eBay.

With the 14mm on my Olympus Pen Mini (e-pm1), it fits into my jacket pocket and is an incredibly light combo.

That said, I've just ordered myself the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 lens. So we'll see how that goes.

#8 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,181 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:31

My most used lens for product photography is the Nikkor 60mm 2.8 AF-D Micro. It offers the best FOV for the kinds of products I normally shoot. However, I will still keep my Nikon system for as long as the files are still acceptable to clients.

The 45mm options look very enticing for portraiture!

Support Fotozones:  

#9 willl

willl

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 647 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:14

The 45mm options look very enticing for portraiture!

I'm also intending to pair that Oly 45mm with a Marumi Achromat +5 (which I found via this NG thread) closeup lens (via step-up ring) as a make shift macro'ish lens. So far, I've used the close up lens with the kit lens at 42mm and it works ok for little flowers etc.

I've had the close up lens for a few years now, and keep it in my pocket when I'm out and just walking without a macro lens. Just another option :)

#10 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,181 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:53

Well, the purchaser of my D700 just left my house with it and I have this burning desire to get in my car and rush out to get the OM-D right now! Or should I get more lenses and a Panasonic GX-1?

Support Fotozones:  

#11 Steinar

Steinar

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:54

I read a review, that the new Olympus 75mm f/1.8 (150 mm) is in the same league as the Nikon 200mm f/2.0 VR, so I could not resist it, even it sounds wild.

I must say, I am certainly not disapointed - got it this morning, just some quick shots out of the window:

This is shot about 60-70 meter (about 200 yards) from the subject - f. 1.8 (the widest) - 100 % crop - and NO sharpening - right out from the camera, notice the little toy hanging in the right window

Posted Image

The bokeh is also very fine.

Posted Image

#12 Steinar

Steinar

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:58

The only weakness I have seen so far is that it can loose contrast with strong light hitting the lens, but not worse as many others (but certainly not as good as my Nikon 28mm f/2.0 AI-S), so I have just ordered the hood.

I also have the 45mm f/1.8, and it is a real bargain, but this lens here..........I will say it is worth the money

It is not a macro, but with this focal length (150 mm FX) and minimum focus distance about 84 cm you can get some close ups

Edited by Steinar, 12 September 2012 - 12:08 .

#13 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,181 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 16:28

Happy to report that I ordered the OM-D body only earlier today and I should get it by Friday. :dancer:

Will definitely look into that 75mm, Steinar. Thanks for the suggestion.

Support Fotozones:  

#14 Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:38

I am sure you will be happy with the OM-D, Dallas. I have played with one and have been tempted as well. For right now, my GX-1 and GF-1 suit my needs very well. However, with the OM-D you will have image stabilization and a viewfinder built into the body. I use the external EVF's on both my cameras as I cannot bear to shoot without looking through some type of viewfinder.

Let us know what you think about the camera when you get it.

And my favorite m4/3 lens is the Panny 20mm 1.7.

#15 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:53

Looking forward to you reporting on the OhMy-Dallas :thumbsu:
Machina fotografica necesse est

#16 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,181 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 14:46

It looks like Panasonic are producing a better range of lenses for m43 at this point. Still kicking myself for letting that 7-14mm f/4 slip through my fingers, but I may still order one when I find myself flush again. Fortunately the purchase of the OM-D is entirely funded by the sale of the 2nd D700 I had.

First on the shopping list though will be the Oly 45mm 1.8.

Support Fotozones:  

#17 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 13 September 2012 - 18:25

It looks like Panasonic are producing a better range of lenses for m43 at this point. Still kicking myself for letting that 7-14mm f/4 slip through my fingers, but I may still order one when I find myself flush again. Fortunately the purchase of the OM-D is entirely funded by the sale of the 2nd D700 I had.

First on the shopping list though will be the Oly 45mm 1.8.

Good choices on both Dallas. I have the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 and have nothing but praises for it.

Re other lenses, I have the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5, 20mm f/1.7 and 25mm f/1.4. The 20mm f/1.7 is my most-used m4/3 lens but the 25mmm f/1.4 is excellent when used with the GH2 for video. I am looking at the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 and the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 but will try and limit myself to only one of these two. I really like the flexibility of the 12-35mm f/2.8 and thought of using my Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G or 85mm f/1.8D on adapter in lieu of getting the Olympus 75mm f/1.8. Steinar however is not making it easy for me to forego the Olympus 75mm f/1.8. :rolleyes:

I have successfully avoided the Panasonic 7-14mm f/4 by using my F-mount Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 on adapter. The one-stop difference is simply much too huge to ignore when it comes to video in low-light.

All these m4/3 lenses were purchased after I bought my first GH2 for video early last year and this after I have admonished myself to use only Nikkor lenses on adapter and not to get any dedicated m4/3 lens other than the 14-140mm kit lens the GH2 came with. :D

Edited by Larry, 13 September 2012 - 18:36 .

#18 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,181 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 19:04

I bought a couple of adapters when I still had the Olympus EP-1, namely the Nikon and Canon FD adapters, but I ended up never really using them. Manual focus with the EP-1 was a tricky affair. Hopefully it is a bit better with the OM-D and it's EVF?

Support Fotozones:  

#19 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 19:15

Manual focus with the VF-2 is quite good, and the finder in the OM-D improves on that again, through a higher refresh rate. You can zoom in to 10x magnification for critical focus, which is something you can only dream about doing on Nikon's dslrs, and that on any part of the frame. The VF-2 can actually be attached on the OM-D if you need a tiltable viewfinder, which is nice for macro.
Bjørn T

#20 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 13 September 2012 - 19:21

I bought a couple of adapters when I still had the Olympus EP-1, namely the Nikon and Canon FD adapters, but I ended up never really using them. Manual focus with the EP-1 was a tricky affair. Hopefully it is a bit better with the OM-D and it's EVF?

Dallas, the OM-D's EVF and/or articulating screen, plus the magnify function will make it much easier for you to manual focus the Nikkor lenses when combined with magnify. With the GH2 and the NEX-5N, one only has to touch the point in the articulating screen that one wants to magnify and presto, manual focusing is very easy. I believe that the OM-D now has a similar capability?

Both EVF and articulating screen are to me critical features and I would not get a mirrorless camera without these two. The Fuji X100 is my only and last mirrorless camera that I will buy which does not have an articulating screen.

Edited by Larry, 13 September 2012 - 19:24 .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.