The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

My D3200 Amazon review...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:15

I gave it one star...
--------------
This might be the best camera Nikon has ever made (yes I own the D "single digit" bodies), but arbitrary choices by Nikon marketing have made this unusable for professional photographers. Take for example the SC-29 cord not working... Who on earth thought it would be a smart idea to disable the AF-assist on this cord? How about no commander for CLS on camera? Nikon thinks it can sell more flashes and other "higher end" cameras with this strategy, but really all it does is make the consumer angry. Take away the IR capability in D3100, then bring it back for this camera. Why? Nikon marketing. Obviously everyone complained and they were forced to "add" a feature they deleted the previous year to save a few pennies. This kind of nickel and diming by Nikon has gone too far!

I understand soccer moms don't even know what an SC-29 is, I understand not everyone needs CLS, or remote capability, but to arbitrarily defeat these features in order to sell me a D7000 shows Nikon doesn't care about its most loyal customers. Give me the option to pay for these things via firmware, like Sony, but don't just write off a perfectly good camera for professionals because you want to push me to models with higher margins.

Understanding capitalism is painful to me, and product marketing isn't exactly my forté, but if Nikon continues to make dumb decisions in order to get me to buy a camera I don't really need, I won't be buying anymore Nikon cameras (and I have owned dozens).

Edited by yunfat, 11 September 2012 - 04:20 .

• Fons Baerken likes this

#2 Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 6,482 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:06

I would agree the D3200 is not for professionals, but the choices are not arbitrary, they are intentional. I suppose you can give any number of stars you want, but the only thing accomplished will be to confuse the typical buyer of this camera. Perhaps a few will buy a Canon instead.
See my photography at http://ronscubadiver.wordpress.com/

#3 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:35

The D3200 is not for professionals only because Nikon marketing says so, and has disabled features. Whether you believe these items are trivial is up to you, but the typical buyer should be confused... Nikon takes away features one year, then adds them two years later as a "feature" after people complained. It's bullshit.

#4 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 14:33

Sorry to hear about your issues with the cam, sounds frustrating

Isn't Bullshit a synonym for marketing?

#5 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,096 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 11 September 2012 - 17:23

Why you would expect full professional features at the consumer end of the line, I cannot fathom. Why did you even buy the D3200 anyway?? And don't tell me it was all you needed, because apparently it is not all you needed. I think you are just trying to be provocative with this post and that review. None of the camera makers puts full professional features on the consumer end.

The D3200 is not the best camera Nikon has ever made. That prize gets awarded to the better sensors in the D700/800/3S/3X/4. The D7000 and D5100 have superb sensors also, but no doubt they will displease you because they are not full featured.

I understand wanting a fully professional camera for $$$ instead of $$$$, but that cam does not exist.

Andrea B.
UltravioletPhotography.com

#6 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 18:44

Thank you for your comment Andrea.

CLS is a full professional feature? How come the D70 had it? Are you saying that in 10 years, and 10-100X the processing power with Expeed 3, that Nikon couldn't figure out a way to put it in D3200?

Wasn't the D70 marketed as a "consumer" camera?

That's all I am saying.

It's not about the money, I would pay double the price for a D3200 "pro" that had the features I mention, but instead I have to move to a camera that is twice the weight, 30% bigger, twice the price, and I judge to be ergonomically inferior for my smallish hands.

Nikon could have also moved forward with a firmware upgrade system years ago that added tiered pricing for the features I need. Instead, a giant electronics company is making all the right moves and letting consumers decide what features they need in a camera rather than disabling it from the start.

Andrea, I disagree with your statement: "None of the camera makers puts full professional features on the consumer end.'

Obviously, Sony with it's new NEX cameras, you can enable the features you need.

Take for example an intervalometer... why does the D90 not have one? On the consumer NEX, bam, I pay Sony a few bucks and now I have it.

You could say that the intervalometer takes engineering resources, but I say bullshit, a donkey could code that in 10 seconds. Proof is in the fact all P&S cameras now seem to have one.

Someone in Nikon marketing said if you put an intervalometer in a D90 it will affect D300 sales by X amount.

Indeed, I would bet it costs Nikon more to remove those features I talk about in programming.

Of course you are correct in saying I am being provocative, that is my intention, but if people hadn't complained about the removal of the IR sensor in D3100 from D3000, do you think we would have had that feature this year in the D3200?

Perhaps I am a grumpy old curmudgeon, but turning stuff off for one year, then adding it as a feature the year after... I am going to call them on it.

It's the same thing cereal companies do. Over a 5 year period they draw down the volume of cereal in a container until enough people complain and then they come out with a 25% more box for the same price. Nikon is turning into a cereal company.

#7 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,961 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 11 September 2012 - 19:02

Nikon is turning into a cereal company.

Nikon is absolutely turning into a cereal company, if you buy one of their cameras
with the wrong Serial Nos there's a chance it may not work as intended! :D

Absolutely agree with many of the points you made in your opening gambit,
unfortunately these days it seems the marketeers are running many companies and
I reckon Nikon's original ethos has been lost which is a shame.

I actually think the public are getting tired with this creative marketing, I preferred a time when a
company produced the best product they could at a price point and offered it for a reasonable price,
no doubt I will be considered naive!

kind regards
Tony

Edited by wildoat, 11 September 2012 - 19:07 .

• Fons Baerken likes this

Moose says " if you have a very expensive lens and you have a very cheap tripod, you're nuts"  

#8 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,150 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Posted 11 September 2012 - 20:10

When marketers run things usually companies thrive. It's when they put accountants in charge of things that everything goes to pot. Spoken from personal experience. ;)

Please help me finance Fotozones by disabling your ad blocker for this site.

You can also support Fotozones by buying your gear from our affiliate advertisers using these links:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC or DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#9 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,096 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey

Posted 11 September 2012 - 20:17

sony Nex while nice is not pro -- Good IQ, no lenses, end of discussion.
And why are the old d70 and d90 even entering the discussion ??

I'm not buying any of the arguments here.
It's just Nikon trash talk.

But Nikon is offering plenty of what folks want.
This just seems a "Nikon offers it but I don't want to pay for it thread".

Andrea B.
UltravioletPhotography.com

#10 Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 6,482 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 11 September 2012 - 20:33

When marketers run things usually companies thrive. It's when they put accountants in charge of things that everything goes to pot. Spoken from personal experience. :wink:

That is so true. A recent article in Forbes predicts GM will fail again because the CEO is a financial guy and not a car guy. I know all about accountants.
See my photography at http://ronscubadiver.wordpress.com/

#11 BillM

BillM

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 284 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, Virginia

Posted 11 September 2012 - 22:42

I thought the D3200 was the successor to the D40 instead of the D70.

As I recall, the D40's built in flash did work in the "commander" mode. The D40 required you to use a SU-800 or SB-800 to act in the "commander" mode. From reading the manual, the D3200 does the same. Plus commander mode is available on the SB-900, SB-910 and SB-700 as well.

The D40 was introduced as a lower cost alternative to the D70/80 cameras. Naturally it had fewer features to keep costs down and still make a profit. Nikon has delivered very good products in the D40/40x/60/3100/3200 line at their price point. Nikon has sold a whole lot of that series of cameras.

I looked hard at the D3200 and the biggest limiting factor for me was the small viewfinder. My vision is such that I really appreciate the full frame 100% viewfinders.
Best Regards, Bill

.... it all gets better as we grow younger and thinner.

#12 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:43

I got off 7 shots at 4 fps ISO 6400 with sb-400 at f6.3 on a pitch black dancefloor this weekend with the new high performance eneloops and a sandisk extreme pro SDHC.

The D3200 gets the nod as my main event camera for weddings. BW's at 6400 ISO are, for all intents and purposes, noise free.

It is a beautiful camera.

#13 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,961 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 21 September 2012 - 14:09

I got off 7 shots at 4 fps ISO 6400 with sb-400 at f6.3 on a pitch black dancefloor this weekend with the new high performance eneloops and a sandisk extreme pro SDHC.

The D3200 gets the nod as my main event camera for weddings. BW's at 6400 ISO are, for all intents and purposes, noise free.

It is a beautiful camera.

Shooting weddings with a D3200 not for the feint hearted, lol.
Reckon it would be possible for someone of your experience, would love to see some of the images
you are getting from this little gem.
Tony

Moose says " if you have a very expensive lens and you have a very cheap tripod, you're nuts"  

#14 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 14:58

@wildoat, absolutely... 17-55, sb-400 on some, exif via flickr, a lot of different settings were used in order to stress test the camera. I guess I got about 1200 photos that night, 1 bar left on battery. I don't chimp, and a lot of shots @6400

All photos SOOC, no touchie, jpg fine, BW contrast +3
event:
Posted Image
gt mitzvah 9.15.1213440 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

Posted Image
gt mitzvah 9.15.1212927 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

Posted Image
gt mitzvah 9.15.1212673 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

Posted Image
gt mitzvah 9.15.1212672 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

Posted Image
gt mitzvah 9.15.1212553 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

Posted Image
gt mitzvah 9.15.1212524 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

-----------

landscape, 17-55, exif via flickr...

Posted Image
gt mitzvah 9.15.1212345 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

Posted Image
gt mitzvah 9.15.1212366 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

Posted Image
gt mitzvah 9.15.1212295 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

Posted Image
gt mitzvah 9.15.1212706 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

Edited by yunfat, 21 September 2012 - 15:18 .

#15 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,961 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 21 September 2012 - 20:57

Yunfat,

great stuff, thanks for sharing them.
Can see why you are so pleased the B+W images look very film like and pleasing to the eye.
Sensors really have moved on it seems!
Have a good weekend.

Cheers
Tony

#16 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 23:39

Can see why you are so pleased the B+W images look very film like and pleasing to the eye.
Sensors really have moved on it seems!

This is my assessment as well. Filmic is really a hard thing to quantify, but, the D3200 delivers in spades.

#17 RC51

RC51

LARGE MEMBER

• Life Member
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationENGLAND

Posted 21 September 2012 - 23:45

This is my assessment as well. Filmic is really a hard thing to quantify, but, the D3200 delivers in spades.

Superb set yunfat!.....
But what happens to your images here? They look soft and mushy compared to the tack sharp rendition when you open in Flicker.

Cheers
Bez

#18 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,961 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 21 September 2012 - 23:51

Superb set yunfat!.....
But what happens to your images here? They look soft and mushy compared to the tack sharp rendition when you open in Flicker.

Cheers

I agree actually, though I know his images aren't soft and mushy. :)
Would be interesting to know why they appear slightly that way when posted here!

Tony

Edited by wildoat, 21 September 2012 - 23:52 .

#19 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 00:59

Sorry about that guys. I probably selected the wrong "share" setting via flickr. On the road I default to 800px uploads for bandwidth and my old macbook pro, will try and rectify this post with some sharper snaps now I am back home. If the photos disappear for a little while please forgive me. It's my fault.

The 17-55 sings on the d3200. Finally a DX sensor that is up to that lens!

I didn't believe in God before using the two together... the handling isn't as bad as you may think. Nikon DX plastics have hardened considerably over the years. The red D3200 feels like it's made out of granite, minus the weight :D

I'm trying not to gush anymore, because my instincts earlier this year were telling me I had to go FX for pro work. I think I can still hold out for a while longer.

#20 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,150 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:33

When you post an image here there is a graphics rendering that re-sizes the image to 750px wide so that it doesn't break the layout of the site, so there's going to be some degradation. You should see the same quality as the hosting site offers when you click on the image to enlarge it though.
  • yunfat likes this

Please help me finance Fotozones by disabling your ad blocker for this site.

You can also support Fotozones by buying your gear from our affiliate advertisers using these links:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC or DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.