#1 Chris Wahl

Chris Wahl

cw

• POTW Committee
  • 1,955 posts
  • LocationMannheim, Germany
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:59

Oh my ... shooting nudes is really difficult ... this is my first try ...

The model (40+) is a friend of mine so I did my best and went for classic poses (at least I think so).

She is quite happy with the results and authorized me to post some of the images (those where she can not be identified what I think makes a lot of sense these days). Some of the "full person" images will end up on the wall of her sleeping room so it is not that she does not like them :)

comments and hints for improvement more than welcome!

Chris

#1 the right side of the image does need some more processing but I haven't yet figured out how
Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 the client is still undecided whether she prefers the colour or the BW one ...
Posted Image

#4 Artificial block of ice ... She didn't want the real thing and I found it difficult to produce a clear block of ice
Posted Image
Never mind the words ... just hum along and keep on going...

#2 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,385 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 17:19

Wow... first time? Excellent work Chris

Sensitive, compelling and your lighting is first class... :good:

Rags

#3 Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 6,140 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 09 September 2012 - 17:47

40+ is still pretty young. Nice images.
See my photography at http://ronscubadiver.wordpress.com/

#4 Luc de Schepper

Luc de Schepper

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,751 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 09 September 2012 - 17:49

Indeed, great images even though the poses of 1 to 3 don't work for me that much but 4 is really good.

#5 Chris Wahl

Chris Wahl

cw

• POTW Committee
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 18:20

Rags, thanks you very much, I am flattered ... It was indeed the first time but i spent probably ages to prepare the shooting ;)
Thanks Ron, you're as young as you feel ... even if that changes on an hourly basis :)
Luc, thanks a lot. It is fun to shoot using these water drops. Using real ice would have been even more fun (for me at least...)

again thank you all ... it is much appreciated,
Chris

#6 palalaikka

palalaikka

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,023 posts
  • LocationOulu, Finland

Posted 09 September 2012 - 20:07

#3 and #4 are really good. Very well done especially for the first time.
#1 is good idea, but for me it doesn't work. It is somehow too static (and you cropped the boobs :angry: ).

#7 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 09 September 2012 - 20:44

I don't think I would have the courage to shoot a friend nude.

I like these, but in 2 and 3 the calves seem rather too bulging.

#8 armando_m

armando_m

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,863 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:57

Very nice !!

It gets easier with some practice , why did you find it hard ?

I was uncomfortable and felt I was wasting the time of the model because I made many mistakes , I had an idea similar to this and did not get anywhere near it, my lighting was not even close to yours

Regards,
Armando 

#9 Chris Wahl

Chris Wahl

cw

• POTW Committee
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:44

Thanks Pasi, maybe I post another shot that includes the boobs :)

Anthony, thanks a lot. I see your point regarding the calves and will have an eye on that next time I do s.th. similar. There might be a risk though that it gets too bony. Personally I like it the way it is.

Thank you very much Armando.

It gets easier with some practice , why did you find it hard ?

For a lot of reasons :) here are some of them
- you described already a few i.e. there is a certain pressure not to fail that is higher as usual (I am not a pro)
- the working speed has to be kept up at a pace that is acceptable for both, model and photog
- the "arrangement" of the model has to be done with words. Touching is not adequate in my opinion.
- keep up a friendly, constructive and yet productive atmosphere (a lot of talking, joking, being serious when required, music etc.)
- provide the required infrastructure (again I am not a pro and I did it at home which required preparations)
- decide what is to the advantage of the model and what isn't in order to avoid disappointment (imho that's the only thing where it is harder to shoot a friend than an anonymous model)
- It is not a good idea to check the technical issues for half an hour and then curse and start all over again (it was my first shooting using 3 speedlights and i silently cursed quite often :)

I could go on much longer but have to leave now. I guess some of these points apply to all Model/Studio shootings but someone lying naked in front of you does not necessarily relax things :)

again, thank you all I appreciate you comments and hints a lot!
Chris

#10 Mickey Theunissen

Mickey Theunissen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 183 posts
  • LocationFish Hoek; South Africa

Posted 10 September 2012 - 13:45

Chris - I take my hat off to you - a stunner of a series, taking into account it is your first AND a friend! Well done!!

#11 Chris Wahl

Chris Wahl

cw

• POTW Committee
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 20:03

Thanks a lot for your nice comment Mickey :-)

Chris

#12 armando_m

armando_m

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,863 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara

Posted 10 September 2012 - 20:25

I have done this a whole two times :)

I completely agree with your list, that describes my feelings to the dot the first time I did this, where I had a model that interacted little , we had a difficult time understanding each other.

On the second time , the distraction of been close to a nude model became less distracting, I got more concentrated on the forms the light, the poses, also this time the models were more relaxed, I showed them some sample images about what I wanted to accomplish during the shooting, I had way more communication about what was working or not, ** AND ** I had a woman assistant this relaxed things immensely, she moved lights and even suggested improvements in the poses.

The first time I finished with a "Thank god time is up", second time I just enjoyed the session and felt things went great.

I do have a friend with whom this has been suggested, I think it will work very nicely.

Regards,
Armando 

#13 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,856 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 10 September 2012 - 20:59

Chris reckon you did a fine job.
An attractive subject and some unusual but interesting compositions, it's good to
have to look at images conceived slightly differently to keep a balanced perspective, if you know what I mean!

Tony

Edited by wildoat, 10 September 2012 - 20:59 .

Moose says " if you have a very expensive lens and you have a very cheap tripod, you're nuts"  

#14 averity

averity

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 674 posts
  • LocationMadrid

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:10

Beautifully done, I'm not surprised she was happy with the results they are great, especially as this was your first time.

#15 Chris Wahl

Chris Wahl

cw

• POTW Committee
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 15:28

Tony and Averity, thanks a lot for your kind comments!

Armando, time will tell whether there will be a 2nd time :) I hope so and I surely learned a lot from this initial session.Having an assistant or not is s.th. that I will probably always leave to the choice of the model (I had no assistant this time). Both has pros and cons so I don't really care. I guess it is a lot about a certain routine, planning the shot and the ability to build up a good relationship to the model on a whatever basis. A little like being on stage I imagine ... without being nervous in the beginning it is likely to fail and it will fail every now and then. Typically this happens to me (failure in general) when I get too self confident :) ... somehow it feels good that others face the same challenge ...

again, thank you all!

Chris

Edited by Chris Wahl, 11 September 2012 - 16:51 .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users