Suggestions for a trip to India?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 vkumar

vkumar
  • Life Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:08

I am originally from India and grew up in Delhi,Mumbai although my family comes from the south. I echo Bjorn and Anthony's suggestions regarding places to visit in the north. Rajasthan is beautiful, Jaipur, Udaipur, Jaisalmer (on the border with Pakistan). Agra of course is worth a day trip. My suggestion of visiting the Taj is go in the morning--the afternoons are mobbed and I feel quite dangerous because of poor crowd control and slippery marble surfaces. This itinerary can consume 1 week.
Varanasi (Benaras) is nice --make sure you attend the dusk prayer at the river banks where they pray for world peace and float oil-lamps down the river.
Nearby Sarnath where Buddha taught the dharma very peaceful place also a must see. 1 to 2 days for Varanasi/Sarnath
Amritsar and the golden temple are another worthwhile attraction. 1 day.
If you have more time her is a hidden gem that most foreigners and even Indians do not visit. It is Aurangabad (1 hour flight from Mumbai) which is the home of Ajanta and Ellora caves built from around 10 BC. The sculptures and paintings are well preserved and is a UN word heritage sight. You can skip Mumbai as there is nothing to see there ( I went to high school there so I know a bit about Mumbai). 2 days from Mumbai
Then comes the south. The south has been almost untouched by foreign invasion and is the home of the original civilization. Tamil Nadu (capital Chennai) is the heart of South India and is a great place to visit. The Mahabalipuram beach temple, Madurai, Tanjore, Kanchipuram. 3 days from Chennai.
Adjacent state of Karnataka (Bangalore capital) has Belur, and Halebid and Mysore. 2 dyas from Bangalore.
Kerala on the SW coast of India has great beaches, tranquil and tropical lush.
Feel free to contact me for any India information. I dont live there now but spent most of my youth there.
Vijay

Edited by vkumar, 11 September 2012 - 18:44 .

#22 Jyda

Jyda

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:18

you can skip Mumbai as there is nothing to see there ( I went to high school there so I know a bit about Mumbai).

Many photographers think Mumbai is a very interesting place to visit and I've seen some great street photos from there. Maybe this is a case of you being a bit jaded because you have lived there? Ones' "home town" often seem quite dull to one self.

Otherwise, I think you have some great suggestions!
/Johnny

Google+

I care about picture quality, not pixel quality. - Jay Maisel

#23 vkumar

vkumar
  • Life Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 19:00

Mumbai is like any large city, lots of urban glitz and slums. Of course lots of opportunity to photograph people. But these are city folks.
I was panning Mumbai because it does not have any great historical places, other than the Elephanta caves, and some Victorian structures such as the Bombay VT train terminal, buildings around Flora Fountain, the Taj hotel (unfortunately these were the sites of the terror attacks in 2008. But like any large city it does have its attractions.
But there is no shortage of people in India. Now Rajasthan, South India is where you find people in traditional l colorful attire which makes people photography very interesting. Also in most of India people like their pictures taken, other than very traditional Islamic pockets of Delhi, Agra, UP etc.

#24 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,474 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 11 September 2012 - 22:36

vkumar, I agree.

#25 Jyda

Jyda

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:59

Mumbai is like any large city, lots of urban glitz and slums. Of course lots of opportunity to photograph people. But these are city folks.
I was panning Mumbai because it does not have any great historical places, other than the Elephanta caves, and some Victorian structures such as the Bombay VT train terminal, buildings around Flora Fountain, the Taj hotel (unfortunately these were the sites of the terror attacks in 2008. But like any large city it does have its attractions.
But there is no shortage of people in India. Now Rajasthan, South India is where you find people in traditional l colorful attire which makes people photography very interesting. Also in most of India people like their pictures taken, other than very traditional Islamic pockets of Delhi, Agra, UP etc.

I see what you mean. I guess most of India is interesting for people/street photography, but some places have more interesting historical/cultural sights.
/Johnny

Google+

I care about picture quality, not pixel quality. - Jay Maisel

#26 Colin-M

Colin-M

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,639 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 13 October 2012 - 14:55

Well, after a long period trying to overcome various obstacles to travel, I have now bought my plane tickets.

The itinerary is looking something like:
- Delhi
- Allahabad (joining up with my daughter)
- Pachmarhi (more info here and also here)
- Hyderabad
- Hampi (more info here and also here)
- Delhi

This is being fitted into three weeks, with all travel bar the final leg being done by train (mainly overnight).

I really appreciate the suggestions everyone above has made. In the end, I think I will need to go back to India 3-4 more times to even get close to fitting these all in :)
My route was designed in conjunction with my daughter who has been out there for a year and already visited many other areas. Since she's gone out to improve her Hindi, I'm happy to fit in on the basis that she'll help with a lot of the practical aspects (I only speak English, and occasional Bad English).
Colin
--------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/celidh

#27 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,756 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Posted 13 October 2012 - 15:25

So, the only question left to be asked is what camera gear you're going to be packing? :)

Win a thinkTank Retrospective 30 camera bag just by making a post to Fotozones this week! 

Please support Fotozones by purchasing your gear from our website advertisers wherever possible. 

#28 Colin-M

Colin-M

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,639 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 13 October 2012 - 18:06

So, the only question left to be asked is what camera gear you're going to be packing? :)

As things stand...my existing kit!

I'd like better low like capabilty, so if I could get a D700, that's about the only expense I'd consider. However I promised my daughter I'd help her upgrade her 4 year old Coolpix, so really any money should be spent on her.....

So......guess I'm taking my existing D300 and an 18-50 F2.8 Sigma EX :)
Colin

#29 armando_m

armando_m

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara

Posted 15 October 2012 - 17:08

This thread is very timely !!

I got invited to spend a month in Delhi, it is a work assignment, but I'm sure I'll have time to look around, dates are around Oct/Nov

My trip got delayed until further notice :umbrage:

Regards,
Armando 

#30 Colin-M

Colin-M

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,639 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 19 December 2012 - 16:37

Hi guys, just to revive this thread, I finally made it to India!

I've been here a week and am on stage 4 of the itinerary listed above - Hyderabad. Photographic opportunities have been bountiful.

As a first time visitor and a European, I'm finding almost everything novel and interesting. A couple of examples:
- I love birds of prey and have taken many pictures of Red Kites in the UK
Here, kites are very common. Today I was stood on a hill in Hyderabad by the temple Birla Mandir,
watching the kites soar *below* me :)
- In Pachmarhi we trekked across the game reserve & saw cave paintings going back +10,000 years.

Another week or so to go.

Edited by Colin-M, 19 December 2012 - 17:41 .

Colin

#31 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,756 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Posted 19 December 2012 - 16:54

Really looking forward to your travelogue, Colin!

Win a thinkTank Retrospective 30 camera bag just by making a post to Fotozones this week! 

Please support Fotozones by purchasing your gear from our website advertisers wherever possible. 

#32 Colin-M

Colin-M

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,639 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 19 December 2012 - 17:47

Really looking forward to your travelogue, Colin!

Thanks Dallas.
I'm sadly inexperienced in keeping an online presence whilst on the move. Plus only some of our economy hotels have WiFi.
As for pictures, you'll have to wait till i get back in January. They're currently building up on a portable HD. Hopefully I will get snowed-in when I get home. That will be a nice contrast, might help me escape going to the office, and let me catch up on PP ;)
Colin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users