The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo

Most Popular Sizes?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 15:05

For those who sell prints, what are the most popular sizes?

Rags

#2 Carolyn

Carolyn

Seeker

• Life Member
  • 4,836 posts
  • LocationUtah, Mexico and California
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 15:54

Hi Rags..... The sizes that sell most frequently are: 16x24 and 20x30 (actual print size).
  • Rags likes this
International Member

"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer it has chosen" Minor White

www.carolynguild.com

#3 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 16:13

Thanks... getting ready to dip my toe in... :)

Rags

#4 simato73

simato73

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationBollington, Cheshire

Posted 30 August 2012 - 16:15

Hi Rags..... The sizes that sell most frequently are: 16x24 and 20x30 (actual print size).

I assume that would be in inches?
Simone

#5 Carolyn

Carolyn

Seeker

• Life Member
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 23:19

Yes. Sorry 'bout that... inches... and i should have said the sizes of *mine* that sell the most.... and that would be driven by the sizes most commonly offered of course. I do print smaller/square/and square(ish) ... but the largest percentage of what I offer is:
12x18
16x24 and
20x30 inches
I could print up to 24 inches on the short side, but I like having 2 inch borders for handling/framing...
International Member

"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer it has chosen" Minor White

www.carolynguild.com

#6 drknow

drknow

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 15:00

Actually, the answer should probably take into account the venue where you plan to sell the prints.
If it is a booth at an outside art fair (for instance), then often people are looking for inexpensive prints
in which case the smaller sizes such as 8x10 are very popular. In this case, you are "mass producing"
the images inorder to keep the prices low yet still make a profit.
That said, some art fairs are very upscale, demanding only limited edition prints, framed. In this case
the smallest size I would offer would be 12x18 and more often I offer 20x30 or larger. These are much
more expensive. You sell fewer, but make more per print.
Galleries are another issue. Since they typically take a large percent of the sale as commission,
I only offer large prints: 20x30, 24x36 and even 40x60.
(All sizes are actual image size, not matted size)
BUT, you always have to consider the image itself. Some images just do not look good large, and
others don't work if printed too small. For example, landscapes often do not "work" if printed only 8x10.
So, I guess the first step is to consider your audience, where and how they want to use your print, then
where you are going to sell the print (the venue), and this information helps dictate the size.
Hope this helps. I am still learning!

#7 Carolyn

Carolyn

Seeker

• Life Member
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 15:20

OK. I'll add to my answer drknow.
I don't sell any bin art, so that's not an issue. Everything is sold through galleries and museums at exhibits, through galleries that represent me, and occasionally directly through me to friends/family/inquiries from areas that I have no representation.
Editions are (at the largest) 25. And that 25 is counted the old school way... all sizes inclusive. In other words, it does NOT mean 25 of each size available. Bin art can be a great source of income, and I have friends that make a of money at some of the better art fairs... however some galleries don't want to represent you if you do art fairs. So, I made my choice.
And drknow, you are so correct.... some photos just don't look good large. Others, look great large. That is why I have a page on my website that lists thumbnails of the photographs, what sizes are available, what level they fall in (every 5 sold moves to the next level), how sales until the next level, and current price. That page keeps all the galleries etc... at the same price point for the same photograph.
International Member

www.carolynguild.com

#8 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:04

Carolyn & dr super comments and the sizes are helpful

I think I'll try 12 X 18's (not reproducible on ordinary printers), for bin samples.

I'm going to show some multi media stuff at the art show in NY in 3/13.

I just want to be prepared for dealers

Thanks again for the responses

Rags

#9 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 17:24

Went to see a Photog printer @ Lightroom in Berkeley, CA

Nice chap (Rob) with a small shop

He has a dozen or so roll paper. I'm liking Hahnemuhle Photo Rag over the Canson Rag Photographic which was slightly warmer

The comments here were very helpful in the choice, thanks - much appreciated.

This shop encourages laying out the shots for the roll size to save money. He provides instructions on his site

The 44" roll works well for 16 X 20 (4 & 8 up) & 20 X 30 (2 up)

Talking to Rob and seeing some work in his onsite gallery persuaded me to change my outlook regarding borders (which I'm going to include)

I'm getting there slooowly with the help of people who know what they're doing.

Rags

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.