#1 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,325 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 25 August 2012 - 00:43

I have posted this shot in the main NG board, but thought it deserved a place here as the first multi-row pano I've done with the X-Pro1 and where much of its future with me lies.

Posted Image
Upper Florentine River, Tasmania.

However the forest pano season is almost over with the windy spring months almost upon us, so I've decided to do a series in the faddish "industrial" decor style on some of the old farms that surround me here, and for which the X-Pro will be perfect: heaps of resolution, no weight to lug around, quick between shots during a pano (no need to pause for mirror-up vibrations to settle).

Still unsure as to exactly where I'm going with this, but I did have a play around the now derelict old farm house where my next door neighbour was born 80 years ago just to try a few things out. As this series will rely on heavy-handed PP work, I hit the 3-rows x 15 shots pano very hard with all manner of S/H, Color Efex , H/S.... you name it (click on preview thumb for larger view)

Posted Image

The potential of using this camera as the basis for a stitching tool is enormous - this picture, at native resolution, came in at 265MP, i.e. one hu-u-u-uge print. Of course mashing it down from 1.5GB to 360KB has had a bit of a depleting effect on things, but this sort-of conveys the grungy look I believe this fad style asks for.

The series will likely be interspersed with single grunge shots of closeup segments, the 16MP Fuji files allowing easy A3 prints as well as the ability to crop moderately without detrimental effect should that be necessary:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

etc.

Edited by Fred Nirque, 25 August 2012 - 00:47 .

#2 pac

pac

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 450 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:16

Fred, I'm not one for the grunge look. However, I really like the last two - reminds me of Aaron Siskind's work.

Got my x-pro 1 today. It's light, it's different. I'm sure it will take some getting used to.

Dave

#3 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:59

I like the last three. Nice conversion... :good:

Rags

#4 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:07

Oh yeah, to be sure, it will take some getting used to.

I guess thje best thing to do is ignore all the naysaying that's gone on about this camera and just set about to enjoy using it.
What's a good relationship without a few arguments, anyway? It might have been easier on me as I had my first round of arguments with the X-100, which meant a lot of that ground had already been covered by the time the X-Pro1 came on the scene.

I hate the grunge look myself, but if that's what is selling at the moment, so be it. At least the subject matter available to me is different to what the main city-based proponents of this fad have available to them, which might help.
The X-Pro1 is ideally suited to taking this stuff just using the Fujinon 35/1.4 lens. In fact all the photos here including the panos were taken with that combo.

#5 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:10

Thanks, Rags.
Color Efex Pro 3.0 is the main culprit with those.

#6 Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 6,150 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:17

That X-1 is starting to look more and more like a Leica at an affordable price.
See my photography at http://ronscubadiver.wordpress.com/

#7 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 13:02

That X-1 is starting to look more and more like a Leica at an affordable price.

Better.
(Ducking, weaving, diving for cover)....

No moire.
Auto Focus available (even if it is a bit slow - better than no auto focus available).
EVF shows the exact image regardless what lens is attached. (My arms are not long enough anymore to use the LCD screen to judge such things). Optical finder still there if you feel like a bit of historical use, anyway.
Shoots 6400 ISO like a D3 in quality. Instead of, well, not at all.
And let's not forget that this is Fuji Mk1. :sungum:
Not M9. :mosking:

:D Just joking with the Leicaphiles - Leica is still a jewel amongst 35mm size cameras, even if it hasn't kept up technically. I'd have one in a flash if I had surplus money. :D

Edited by Fred Nirque, 25 August 2012 - 13:03 .

#8 Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 6,150 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 25 August 2012 - 13:14

Fred, Keep tempting me buddy.

#9 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 13:32

It would cause you grief for the first month or two - there are things not to like for being illogical as much as anything, but once you wear into it (literally), it is a camera that would suit you down to the ground. Not to replace the D800, but to augment it. I also think that people are less affronted by having this sort of camera pointed at them than a DSLR.

#10 Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 6,150 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 25 August 2012 - 15:08

I also think that people are less affronted by having this sort of camera pointed at them than a DSLR.

That I am certain of. Especially when the DSLR is big and has a 24-70 f/2.8 on it.

#11 pac

pac

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 450 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 August 2012 - 16:53

I got my X-Pro 1 yesterday and have spent the last 12 hours reviewing the manual, setting it up, and testing it out. I agree with Fred that this is a whole new ballgame and it will take me months to master the X-Pro 1.

A couple of years ago I bought my first Canon DSLR (5D MkI). In a mater of a few hours I was totally comfortable with it.

I'm not complaining about the long learning curve with the X-Pro 1, as I enjoy learning new technology. I will periodically share my struggles and some photos with you folks over the next few weeks. For now, it's off on another Photo Safari to do some shooting.

Dave

#12 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,757 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 25 August 2012 - 16:57

I might sell one of my D700's after the safari and get one of these. I think it would also suit my type of photography very well.

Win a thinkTank Retrospective 30 camera bag just by making a post to Fotozones this week! 

Please support Fotozones by purchasing your gear from our website advertisers wherever possible. 

#13 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 23:17

I've just run into my first problem with the camera. Problem is that it was also entirely predictable.

There has been enough flak thrown at Fuji over the lack of eyepiece diopter adjustment, so much so that while initially one had to buy third party Cosina adjustment lenses, Fuji now supply these at a cheaper rate. No matter - the means of screwing in the lens is completely insecure - there is no locking mechanism, it is just a simple screw of about 4 twists to tighten. It relies only on the friction of the rubber coating to hold it in place.

Checking the camera for today's shoot, my $35 (delivered) Cosina diopter lens was missing. Fallen off. Sorry, but if Fuji can provide an inbuilt diopter adjustment in the smaller, cheaper X-100, then I fail to see why they chose this "optional extra" route for their flagship camera in the X-line.

Whatever, I'm hitting them for a warranty replacement on Monday, because this simply should not happen. It also means that I'm going to have to use reading glasses today, which isn't a problem except that it is alternately going to be raining or snowing where I'm going, both of which make use of glasses a real pain.

#14 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 23:26

....and there ya go.... of course the Cosina eyepiece, even though recommended in writing by Fuji in the manual, is still not a Fuji product and not covered by warranty.

I also know now why Fuji have introduced their own diopter eyepieces. It seems that Fuji decided the Cosina eyepiece had the right thread and therefore that made it compatible. Looking at the original Fuji eyepiece it has a rather heavy rubber coating on the metal frame. This gives it great purchase on the camera body when tightened, and it is extremely difficult to loosen deliberately, let alone come loose accidentally.

The Cosina eyepiece didn't have this coating, and was difficult to tighten as a result. Hence it worked loose and got lost. This is, of course, my fault, and not the stupid bean-counter at Fuji who put the lid on Fuji making its own diopter eyepieces to save a few Yen. I hope he got the sack when the complaints about lost Cosina eyepieces started to roll in.

#15 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,856 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 06 September 2012 - 22:46

Interesting stuff here Fred.
The detail in these photos is superb, in the first I'm liking the fern type plant two thirds of the way down and to the left,
it makes a lovely focal point in this highly detailed image.
Quite like the other photos also.
It's good to see what these sensors can do when their performance isn't effectively corrupted
by filters!
Great work as usual form you :)
Tony

Moose says " if you have a very expensive lens and you have a very cheap tripod, you're nuts"  

#16 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:17

You must have a sixth sense, Tony - I just printed that B&W shot to 24" wide on Ilford Gallerie Gold Silk paper (came out of the printer not 20 minutes ago).

I printed it without resizing at 720ppi, and all I can say is that it is amazing. It is by far the most detailed, sharpest, and most tonal print I have yet done on inkjet, in fact I'm going to be so bold as to say that short of examining it with a loupe one would be hard pressed to pick it from a B&W silver gelatin print from a well exposed and well taken large format negative. So I hear what you say about the sensor being unencumbered by an AA filter, because I've never got anything close in quality from any of my other digital cameras, past or present.

Considering the size, weight and price of the camera that achieved this makes it all the more remarkable.

#17 JohnBrew

JohnBrew

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 899 posts
  • LocationFolly Beach, SC

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:36

Fred, that second image is stuptifying! (did I get that right?) My goodness that THING, (what else are you gonna call it?) must be magnificent in person. Congratutions on a superb image.

#18 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:11

Thanks, John.

I've got another, older farm with more interesting buildings and ruins lined up for a serious shoot, I'm just waiting for the right skies to happen.

That the first panos I've done with the X-Pro1 worked so well is pleasing me no end, and Dallas couldn't have chosen a better time to edge this forum away from being Nikon-centric as far as I'm concerned. There's a whole gaggle of changes coming, this Fuji sensor and hybrid viewfinder being but an indication of where things are headed.

While it still offers distinct functional advantages, I haven't used my D3s for weeks now, definitely preferring to pick up the Fuji instead for the quality of the images I'm extracting from it, even though I'm often using the same Nikkor lenses I've always used as well. There's a helpful sense of familiarity when one part of the equipment is still the same (although all the examples on this page were shot with the Fujinon 35/1.4). I can't wait for the demosaicing problems that ACR has with this Fuji sensor to be resolved, either, because things will only get better then.

#19 Luc de Schepper

Luc de Schepper

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,751 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:04

Fred, I'm following this topic with interest. You may have read here I lent a X-Pro1 for a few hours of shooting. I was also impressed. Especially with the 35mm f1.4 lens, which for the money is a superb lens. I only don't like that the building quality is good but not excellent imo and the metal parts feel like plastic that's designed to look like metal. But it's the results that count in the end. Fuji should be applauded for releasing this line of X-cameras. Isn't the X-pro1 kind of like a digital FM3a camera? For years forum members have been adressing the manafacturers with requests for such a camera. Now it's here, only it has lost it's mirror during the journey. I dont care that much ...

#20 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:11

There's a firmware update coming on September 18 which addresses AF speed and manual focusing aside from other things. Fuji is obviously listening to what people are saying, so I'm reasonably confident that the majority of concerns will be dealt with in quick order.

I agree that the build quality is not the same as a Leica body or a Zeiss or Leitz lens, but then neither is the price anything close to those items, so I guess we can cut them some slack on that.

As it stands, I would not yet feel confident enough to take a wedding with only this camera, for example - the D3s is still way better suited for that use, but where I have time and capacity to work at shots one at a time the Fuji is definitely my primary choice now. Particularly after seeing that B&W print after it came out of the Epson 7800 this morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users