The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

V1 video in the dark

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 PatrickO

PatrickO

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 584 posts
  • LocationLeeds

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:38

Bump up the ISO, put on a manual focus lens and the low light performance of this little beastie is quite impressive.

In my first attempt at video I decided to shoot a live band. Probably not the most prudent way to jump in, but one learns fast. Any combination of aperture and ISO that results in a shutter speed of less than 1/100th sec is probably not going to deliver a decent video. That means the kits lenses and even the f/2.8 AF-S lenses were too slow.

Out came the FT1 and a combination of 35mm AI-s 1.4 and the Sigma 24mm 1.8. These turn into short teles when you multiply by 2.7.

I could not focus critically using the screen either - maybe my eyes were tired that night. (If you are planning on using lenses from other systems, the quirky on screen manual focus functionality does not switch on if the lens is not recognised or on the FT1. I've bought a Lilliput 7" field monitor to see if that will assist me (it will help for the overhead shots at the end of a tripod too.

Here is the result, with exposure set at +1 to bring out the crowd. Handheld too because tripods were not allowed, and there's no VR on the 35mm 1.4 to stabilise the shot.

Edited by PatrickO, 22 August 2012 - 11:52 .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.