The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Compact camera conundrum - please help!

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:35

I have a Panasonic LX3 and use it a lot. The reason I didn't mention a Panasonic is because of the Jpeg output. I don't like the standard Jpeg output and automatic white balance, therefore I post process every LX3 image I shoot. The lens is great though. That's the reason I suggested a Canon, the out of camera Jpegs are nicer although the reds and greens are a bit too much to my taste. The problem with (semi)professionals advising beginners on cameras is we (the (semi)professionals) tend to push our own dream list of specs while most beginners are interested in other things like ease of operation, durability, out of camera Jpeg quality and yes! zoom range.

I gave my daughter an LX-5 which I sometimes borrow. Though this camera has a good lens, shooting RAW is the only way to get good results from this camera. As the camera-recipient has no plans to go this route and after considering other options, I will likely suggest the Olympus TG-1, a "tough" camera which outputs good JPEG, fast AF, has an f/2.0 lens, is water-proof, has GPS, fast power-on, good fps, HD-video, good 3" OLED screen, etc. The downside is its $400 price. Perhaps this could be his present for his 21st birthday and his Christmas present rolled into one?

Edited by Larry, 21 August 2012 - 08:59 .

#22 Luc de Schepper

Luc de Schepper

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,837 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:27

I gave my daughter an LX-5 which I sometimes borrow. Though this camera has a good lens, shooting RAW is the only way to get good results from this camera. As the camera-recipient has no plans to go this route and after considering other options, I will likely suggest the Olympus TG-1, a "tough" camera which outputs good JPEG, fast AF, has an f/2.0 lens, is water-proof, has GPS, fast power-on, good fps, HD-video, good 3" OLED screen, etc. The downside is its $400 price. Perhaps this could be his present for his 21st birthday and his Christmas present rolled into one?

+1 for the TG-1. Great advice also moneywise Larry :D

#23 simato73

simato73

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationBollington, Cheshire

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:07

The LUMIX LX-7 release is only just around the corner, so LX-5 prices are likely to start falling quite soon. How many weeks do you have until his birthday?

The birthday is actually already past, so I guess no particular hurry - I am already late!
To my defense I did ask if he had any particular wish before the birthday, but it took a long while before he decided that he wanted a camera.
Simone

#24 simato73

simato73

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:30

It is a very interesting camera indeed. Piy it is at least 50% above the budget, but I'll still think about it.
Simone

#25 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,096 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 21 August 2012 - 13:12

These days any small point-n-shoot is pretty darned good. Any one of the small Nikon Coolpix, Canons Ixus, Fujis, Panasonics or Sonys are going to be just fine for the Nephew. So, look for a sale on a model that will soon be 'retired' when the new versions come out, and you can get more bang for the buck. Not that you are shopping for advanced features, I understand, but sometimes the slightly more expensive bodies have a stronger construction.

Added: I forgot to say Olympus and Pentax!! Also good little P-n-S camera makers.

Think also about the fact that a battery charger & cord must be carried around when traveling. You don't want to get one with bulky chargers or cords. And make a present of 3 batteries - a truly necessary expense. One in the camera, spare in the pocket and the 3rd back in the hotel in the charger. "-) Nice high capacity but slower speed San Disk SD cards can be bought for cheaps. So extra cards aren't necessary for Nephew as the card will likely permanently remain in the camera.

Like Damian, I've kept a tiny Canon Ixus (denoted 'Elph' here in the US) around for years. They seem robust and are easy to use.

I also really like the idea of the 'armoured' underwater point-n-shoots that Nikon, Pentax and others make. They can get banged around quite a bit in a pocket or backpack. Prolly over budget, but Uncle can always add a few "$€£", right?

ADDED: water/shock-proof possibilities: Olympus Tough, Fuji XP, Pentax WP, Nikon AW.
That Pentax line looks really rugged and comes with a nice belt clip thingie.
Thus the cam is safe, yet handy whether stored in or out of pocket - I like this idea.
(Hmmmmmm, I might have to look at one of these Ptax models. Pretty cool.)

Andrea B.
UltravioletPhotography.com

#26 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 14:35

These days any small point-n-shoot is pretty darned good.

Other than a few new P&S models, I actually prefer the older Canon cameras. I had a Canon Elph from many years ago that my daughter lost. That camera is just 4mp but uses a Compact Flash, has an optical viewfinder that zooms when the lens is zoomed, has a decent lens, is compact, light but also rugged, and when using the OVF with the LCD monitor off, will last at least 350 shots. I have been looking for such a new camera to replace this for some time but have been unable to find one. So when I got my daughter her LX-5, I went looking in eBay to get myself my own camera and found a lightly used Canon Elph of the same model. I am excited and looking forward to using this old camera model again! :)

Edited by Larry, 21 August 2012 - 15:29 .

#27 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 18:48

+1 for the TG-1. Great advice also moneywise Larry :D

Luc, I am doing everything I can to resist this. So far, the difficulty of getting one in my hands here has worked to my advantage quite well! :D

#28 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 21 August 2012 - 19:15

Don't get a used camera.

The fact that it may be better than a new one means nothing when it is a gift to a young man with no real interest in photography. Andrea is right, all point and shoots (from a decent company) produce amazing results, unless you are a quality fanatic.

I second Damian's Canon recommendation. My son has a Lumix, and my Canon S90 has much better handling, and better image quality.

Image quality with any camera from one of the top companies will be brilliant for your nephew's needs (probably better than a 2005 DSLR).

I think you will enjoy looking at the photos of his travels.

#29 simato73

simato73

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 19:44

Don't get a used camera.

The fact that it may be better than a new one means nothing when it is a gift to a young man with no real interest in photography. Andrea is right, all point and shoots (from a decent company) produce amazing results, unless you are a quality fanatic.

I second Damian's Canon recommendation. My son has a Lumix, and my Canon S90 has much better handling, and better image quality.

Image quality with any camera from one of the top companies will be brilliant for your nephew's needs (probably better than a 2005 DSLR).

I think you will enjoy looking at the photos of his travels.

Wise advice, thanks.
I agree in all respects except for one thing: we are not sure that he is not interested at all in photography.
I do not exclude, and in fact hope, that he could grow an interest.
Therefore within the size (and to a lesser extend budget) constraints, I am trying hard to get as good a camera as possible, so that he could find pleasure using it if he decides to pursue photography a bit more seriously.

Does anyone have direct experience of the Olympus XZ-1?

Edited by simato73, 21 August 2012 - 20:07 .

Simone

#30 simato73

simato73

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 20:53

At the moment I am leaning toward three "enthusiast" but small cameras: the Olympus XZ-1, the Samsung EX1 and the Canon S95.
The latter two have been recently superseded by better models so it should be possible to find them at a decent price.
I guess I might end up choosing the one for which I find the best bargain.

Any comments, thoughts, further suggestions?

By the way, in my ramblings on the net I came across the Sony RX100 and I have been mightily impressed.
Waaay out of contention for my nephew - too expensive for the use he would make of it.
But I am considering one for myself.... :wink: always at hand wherever I go and good fun to use on my soon-to-be-born child. :D

Has anybody tried it?

Edited by simato73, 21 August 2012 - 21:04 .

Simone

#31 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 22 August 2012 - 00:29

Interestingly, I went through exactly this exercise on Sunday for a 20-year-old student.

Main requirements:
Easy to use anywhere at any time and under all possible conditions (the Manual will almost certainly never be read!);
Drop-proof and waterproof (this student has dropped her iPhone into the loo —TWICE!)

We chose the Nikon Coolpix AW100 Waterproof camera in bright ORANGE ($249 currently at B&H) with the hope that she will notice when she walks out of a café while leaving the camera on the table.

#32 Hugh_3170

Hugh_3170

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 799 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:18

Well Ann, being both bright orange and waterproof should certainly help if she drops the camera into the loo!
:D :D

Interestingly, I went through exactly this exercise on Sunday for a 20-year-old student.

Main requirements:
Easy to use anywhere at any time and under all possible conditions (the Manual will almost certainly never be read!);
Drop-proof and waterproof (this student has dropped her iPhone into the loo —TWICE!)

We chose the Nikon Coolpix AW100 Waterproof camera in bright ORANGE ($249 currently at B&H) with the hope that she will notice when she walks out of a café while leaving the camera on the table.

#33 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:15

Given the tendency of your nephew to travel, might it be prudent to look for a camera that has built-in GPS? Having geotags automatically added to the photos might be a nice extra for him.
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#34 helioer

helioer

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 671 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 22 August 2012 - 14:58

Other than a few new P&S models, I actually prefer the older Canon cameras. I had a Canon Elph from many years ago that my daughter lost. That camera is just 4mp but uses a Compact Flash, has an optical viewfinder that zooms when the lens is zoomed, has a decent lens, is compact, light but also rugged, and when using the OVF with the LCD monitor off, will last at least 350 shots. I have been looking for such a new camera to replace this for some time but have been unable to find one. So when I got my daughter her LX-5, I went looking in eBay to get myself my own camera and found a lightly used Canon Elph of the same model. I am excited and looking forward to using this old camera model again! :)

+1 for this comment. Before I got my D70 I was shooting with a Canon Powershot A70 - compact flash, optical viewfinder etc. I still have it + the wide angle and tele attachments. Decent piece of equipment but now it has been replaced with Nikon gear on all occasions.

Erkki

D3s, D3, D200, D70
FX: Nikon 14-24/2.8G, 24-70/2.8G, 28/1.8G, 70-200/2.8G VR, 300/2.8G VR, 60/2.8D+105/2.8D micro, 85/1.4D, 16/2.8D, 50/1.4G, 500/8 reflex C, Sigma 8/3.5 EX, 12-24 EX, 150/2.8 OS EX...
TC: TC-14 E II, TC-17 E II, TC-20 E III
DX: 10.5/2.8, 18-70, 18-200
4*SB800's, R1C1 kit with 3*SB-R200, YN-622 kit (TX+4*RC)...

#35 simato73

simato73

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 16:38

Given the tendency of your nephew to travel, might it be prudent to look for a camera that has built-in GPS? Having geotags automatically added to the photos might be a nice extra for him.

True and many (all?) rugged cameras have GPS which is one reason for liking them.
The downside is it sucks power if one is not careful. Also, it is a non-photographic extra that comes at a price, so one has to balance whether spending that money on better photographic features.

Edited by simato73, 22 August 2012 - 16:38 .

Simone

#36 simato73

simato73

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 14:36

I ended up buying an Olympus XZ-1 today, waiting for delivery.
No GPS and not waterproof, but with a very nice fast lens and a reasonable, useful zoom range.
Simone

#37 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,096 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 27 August 2012 - 23:22

Congrats !! I'm sure your nephew will enjoy it.

Are you going to make a couple of test shots to make sure it is working properly ? :D :mosking:

Andrea B.
UltravioletPhotography.com

#38 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,901 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:09

I just bought one of the Pentax waterproofs, the one with the belt clip thingy, as Andrea described it. I will post some pictures here when I get a chance to do a little bit of snorkeling with it. One thing I would point out, a waterproof camera still doesn't float, so if you are using one in the ocean or in a deep pool you might want to consider a floating strap.

#39 simato73

simato73

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:34

Congrats !! I'm sure your nephew will enjoy it.

Are you going to make a couple of test shots to make sure it is working properly ? :D :mosking:

Most assuredly! I am a very conscientious uncle ;)
Simone

#40 simato73

simato73

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:40

I just bought one of the Pentax waterproofs, the one with the belt clip thingy, as Andrea described it. I will post some pictures here when I get a chance to do a little bit of snorkeling with it. One thing I would point out, a waterproof camera still doesn't float, so if you are using one in the ocean or in a deep pool you might want to consider a floating strap.

Good advice, I normally assume near neutral buoyancy but that is true for cameras in an enclosure not compact waterproofs.
Anyway, this time I did not buy a waterproof camera, but will keep that in mind for next time.
On my last holiday I did I did some snorkeling again after many years, and wished I had an underwater camera.
Simone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.